Swashbuckler Reviews

• Dec 07, 2017

Well made but not enough story to keep it going. Predictable.

Well made but not enough story to keep it going. Predictable.

• Jul 28, 2016

Just pure fun! This was one of my favorite movies in the 70's. One of my buddies and I went to see it at the theater twice in the same day.

• Jul 17, 2014

An odd mix of slapstick and swordplay, Swashbuckler is curio from Hollywood gone by. Made in 1976, it pays homage to pirate films of yore, but with an unsteady hand - this, despite a stellar cast including Jaws' Robert Shaw as the Errol Flynn-like lead (not to mention James Earl Jones as a Caribbean sidekick; Peter Boyle as lead, frumpy baddie; Geoffrey "7-Up" Holder as the knife-wielding pirate & Beau Bridges as a sycophantic royal suck-up). An overpowering musical score is often obtrusive, as the old school A+ action sequences needn't such a sell job, and therein lies the problem. Anything but subtle, Swashbuckler borders on parody in parts - much to its detriment. A fun film at heart that, in more capable hands than TV director Goldstone (perhaps best known as the man behind the pilot episode of Star Trek) could have been a minor classic.

• Nov 21, 2013

Cheesy, pirate story with some singing and fun music to boot. But hey, two great actors and supporting cast, Working on a film in the Caribbean would be a hard gig to pass up. I don't blame them. Made me miss Grenada. Oddly directed and written with some confusing innuendos and situations, especially the weird swimming scene, and of course the pederasty situation was overwhelming. I mean the villain plays battleship with a teenage boy in the bath! Also gives him metal claws to wear when he tortures people. These oddities took it to a very campy level.

• Nov 02, 2013

Despite a slow start and a sometimes overly whimsical musical score, Goldstone's 70s pirate flick still delivers the goods. Strengthened by a very likeable and dedicated cast, with Shaw, Jones and Holder getting special props, alongside some beautiful production values and well staged, practical swordfights that harken back to the old days, and you have a, well, perfectly decent 'swashbuckler' in, well, 'Swashbuckler.

• Jun 25, 2013

88% "Bring me back my bananas!"-Banana Man (Harry Basch) A hidden gem! High adventure, comedy, crazy stunts and a political message about sapping other countries' resources, whats not to like. Has a great cast who are obviously having fun. I'd have to say SWASHBUCKLER had some influence on PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN franchise.

• Jun 21, 2013

The only bad thing about film sack is you get these piece of crap movies. This pirate movie from the 70s is pretty terrible and not even in a fun way. The main guy was really terrible

• Aug 14, 2011

Farr too ragged and loosely plotted to really good, but enjoyable all the same.

Farr too ragged and loosely plotted to really good, but enjoyable all the same.

• Aug 11, 2011

Remembered watching this dozens of times when I was about 5 or 6, so much so, that one particular time when electricity was gone, I asked to watch it again and my father made me sit and literally stare at the videotape for an indeterminate amount of time.

• Jens S Super Reviewer
    Jul 22, 2011

This wonderfully old-fashioned pirates film is like a message from a sunken era, where sword fights are still filmed in wide shots, not a hundred cuts a minute. The mood is light and with plenty of humor, a couple of stunts spectacular, the locations feel real and set a nice Caribbean atmosphere. Sure, some parts of the film are a bit bumpy and feel dated, but overall this is a fun adventure film for a rainy Sunday afternoon. The main title score is also one of the most beautiful themes ever written.