Swiss Miss Reviews

• Oct 07, 2015

Some really fine comedic set-pieces to see here, though studio ideas to both pad the length with silly musical numbers and broaden their prospective audience (and thus coffers) with romance and the aforementioned songs weren't the brightest in the world. Still a good comedy that's essential watching for fans of both the duo and of that era of comedy in general.

• Sep 30, 2015

This is one of my favorite Laurel & Hardy films, so I don't get what's not to like about it. Sure the music may be a little outdated, but the talent is definitely there. Everything about this movie screams class--from the sight gags to the outrageous costumes (which if you really look at the costumes and sets they probably cost a fortune in Depression money) Laurel and Hardy are great for the whole movie with some of the goofiest antics I've seen in any of their films (selling mouse traps: they drill holes in the floor so the mice can get in and then cap them with golf balls so they can't get back out) The gorilla in Switzerland is hilarious (and really random) but makes me laugh every time. The organ filled with soap is fun as well as the great fight scene with the chef, and their antics in the kitchen. For me the best part of the movie is when the boys go to serenade the chambermaid (complete with Stan playing the tuba). Give this movie a chance, it is artistic comedy at its finest!

• Feb 14, 2015

Not one of L&H's best, although the extended riff on their "Music Box" routine is still amusing.

• Dec 11, 2013

very funny stuff here

very funny stuff here

• Feb 03, 2013

Despite some inspired gags and slapstick routines, 'Swiss Miss' doesn't quite hit the mark as previous Laurel and Hardy features, and this is primarily because the sub-plot involving feuding married musicians doesn't captivate enough to be fully rewarding.

• Dec 30, 2012

Funny jokes, and especially Stan Laurel is hilariously funny! He made me laugh and I liked this film overall. I must say, though, that the weaknesses in this movie are the bad sets - obviously painted, cardboard sets - and the weak story. The storytelling also limps seriously, and the plot doesn't have heads or tails. The songs are nice, and the actors are generally likeable, not just Laurel and Hardy. Yet, Laurel and Hardy are the ones who make the film work, and enjoyable, despite its problems. Not their best movie, but it is fun and I can recommend seeing this black-and-white musical-comedy for everyone to see at least once.

• Jul 23, 2012

Usual Laurel and Hardy capers this time in the Swiss Alps when Oli falls in love for the chambermaid. Some great scenes, best being the rope bridge scene when stan and oli have to carry a piano over a bridge and bump into a gorilla. I love these guys so still find their sketches quality.

• Jul 19, 2012

Doesn't every Swiss chalet have a tree house dwelling gorilla? Yikes!!

Doesn't every Swiss chalet have a tree house dwelling gorilla? Yikes!!

• Apr 24, 2011

• Jan 26, 2010

I love Laurel and Hardy but this film was almost unwatchable. That still makes it better than most of their films of the 1940's. Perhaps this film signaled the beginning of the end. The comedy is on the weak side, scenes just end instead of having a nice comic button and the two romantic leads have the charisma of sandpaper. There is almost no story at all in this film and the songs are completely forgettable with the exception of Hardy's rendition of "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" accompanied by Laurel on tuba and the wonderfully titled "I've seen the 7 Wonders of the World, But I can't Get Over the Alps". Really.