Teddy Bear Reviews

• Dec 21, 2019

Having travelled to Thailand many times for work, and lived in Denmark for a short time, and always had an interest in bodybuilding and bodybuilders, this film seemed like a perfect storm for my attention: a 38-year-old man-child, an enormous blond bodybuilder, who looks for love in Thailand. In fact, that's just the decoration. The main story is well-worn, a monstrous, possessive mother who prevents their child from growing up. 'Don't leave me,' she says, more than once during the film. It is strange, the Thai travelogue and scenes of Pattaya and a setting where Western men come for sex and possibly to find wives: it's almost sociological. There is a slight moral judgement here, where Dennis seems to be a good person because he can't bring himself to have sex with a sex worker nor eventually to immediately make love to his love interest, and yet you could also see this as a sign of his lack of experience in the world. And his presence, his story, told with little articulation but more gesture and embodiment is really compelling: the contrast of the outside appearance of a man who is huge and square-jawed and masculine with a sad, withdrawn personality, lacking in confidence definitely drew me in to what is a fairly simple story. I liked it, I have to say. The main actor, his love interest and his mother, all of them, with weaker acting, could have left a viewer wanting more, but they all injected enough charisma and complexity that it was engaging.

• Feb 11, 2019

Beautiful and poetic movie! Humanity in its best

Beautiful and poetic movie! Humanity in its best

• Jan 31, 2015

Evocative. sweet movie about finding love in a rough world. Kim Kold is a professional body builder with the soft, squishy spirit of a teddy bear, hence the movie's name.

• Jul 27, 2014

a very likeable story with some good acting in it

a very likeable story with some good acting in it

• Apr 30, 2014

touching story of shyness, love, and moving forward with life

touching story of shyness, love, and moving forward with life

• Nov 20, 2013

What an endearing story of a 38 year old gentle giant who finally finds the courage to find love and to face his bitter widowed mother who holds onto him with an iron fist all of these years stunting his emotional/social growth. Not the greatest performances as it is obvious all of these actors are first timers and/or amateurs, but what a revelation Mr, Kim Kold is with his quiet and sweet portrayal of the title character.

• Aug 30, 2013

I also want to find my true love, where and when my love story begin, I have no idea, I will appreciate this teddy bear recently! http://www.toyswill.com/cordy-roy-teddy-bear-stuffed-plush-toys-p-2109.html

• Aug 22, 2013

This Danish drama is a truly heartwarming look into a genuine-hearted, shy bodybuilder who is looking for love in Thailand. The movie does not provide any suspense or embellishments, which is just excellent, considering that the subject matter is about daily life of ordinary people. No more, no less...

• Jun 22, 2013

If you don't like this movie you're wrong.

If you don't like this movie you're wrong.

• Jun 15, 2013

I love the irony in this film. Big brawny Dennis is just a timid little softie when it comes to love. If this film were to play it straight, as in big brawny lunk heads to Pattaya for pussy then it would be tired an cliché. You could just call it the Tim "Sharky" Ward show. However the chosen dynamic works much better in the same way that Bullhead worked with a similar subject.