The Addams Family Reviews

• Mar 31, 2020

Boring, waste of time

Boring, waste of time

• Mar 29, 2020

Painfully meh. But it isn't the worst animated film ever, especially not in 2019 (Arctic Dogs, I'm looking at you) but it's obvious that they wanted a Halloween release, and they didn't want to make it next year for some reason. At least the Addams Family are in character and Fester is perfect.

• Mar 21, 2020

As a fan of the original tv show, the 90's films and the Broadway musical (I've even played Gomez), I feel I can safely say I know the Addams Family. This film has an endearing charm that manages to capture the campy kookiness of the original show while still giving a fun and charming introduction to the family without being overly burdened to their past. Sure, the story isn't all that deep and it's fairly predictable, but the little bits and pieces that make this film undoubtedly Addams add up to a thoroughly enjoyable, though remarkably light and fluffy experience.

• Mar 15, 2020

the jokes were (OKAY I GUSS)... Not so much with the story of the movie... and All the good stuff I saw it in the trailer!!! so I presumed that there’s more BUT IT WASN'T.

• Mar 15, 2020

Very much a disappointment. The whole premise of the movie is very much not The Addams Family. In fact it is more The Munsters than The Addams Family. What made the Addams work is they always thought themselves as regular folks, they didn't draw a line in the sand between and the "normal" people. That's why they worked, that's where their funny comes from, the fact they don't know they are different. This movie tosses that out the window and says, let's be the Munsters. Just make a Munsters movie instead. I understand this is a "kids film" but I grew up on the 90s movies and the original show. In fact the original show had more edge to it than this. Just a big sigh for me. Sadness all around and not in a good way.

• Mar 11, 2020

Not impressed. The animation was good, the character art, not so much. The storyline was predictable without twists or surprises. The voice acting was fair but while the actors worked to sound like their real life counterparts, the poor characterizations ruined the effect. Instead of watching this movie, go watch the original TV show.

• Mar 10, 2020

this isn't my favorite and nor do I like it. this movie had very corny jokes that just wasn't fun and funny at all. it just felt like a unnecessary movie. the original movie is much better. you could of done better movie

• Mar 09, 2020

Just seen this on DVD - it was kinda cute. Not the best I ever seen, but it was entertaining. Glad I didn't see it in the movie theater it's good enough for TV.

• Mar 09, 2020

After reading the reviews, I was expecting something that mostly appealed to young children. But as a fan of the Addams Family franchise I wanted to see it anyway. It was much better than I expected. It was a lot of fun, and every one who enjoys the Addams Family franchise should see it. Perhaps there could have been a bit more for the grownups in the audience, and it did have some mawkish moments. But overall this was an enjoyable film and well worth watching.

• Mar 06, 2020

Lackluster. So this is about an eccentric, morbid and macabre family. Naturally, they have trouble fitting in with society wherever they go, but they've found an abandoned insane asylum that they can call home. Still, the surrounding suburb is unaccepting, and they are once again faced against people who want to run them out of town. Now I might not have the most valuable opinion on this film as I only have limited exposure to The Addams family. I didn't grow up with it, so I've really only seen clips of the movies online. I've seen a stage production of the musical and I thought it was passable, but I think it really only succeeds if it is able to play on your nostalgia. I don't think anybody was really asking for an animated adaptation, but even still: this is much worse than I thought it would be. Now right out of the gates, this rubbed me the wrong way. You can tell from the opening scene that the animators they brought on board for this were way too eager to make a feature. Every character is constantly doing something that is big and over-the-top, and because everybody in this family is so exaggerated, there is no real baseline to ground it. Physics do not exist in this movie, and it surpasses Looney Tunes territory; not that I was expecting much, but with Pugsly's obsession with explosives, everybody should be dead 25 times over. There are so many awful puns in this that your eyes are going to get plenty of exercise rolling around in your sockets, and they specifically set up scenes that have no other purpose other than to end with an awful punchline. Even the animation in this is pretty lacking. The darker lit scenes in the Addams family house look okay, but there is also this sunny neighborhood that consistently looks like it needs another 3-4 rendering passes. However, all that negative said, I do actually have a positive or two to counterbalance it. Wednesday goes to junior high in the second half, and that is where it actually picked up a bit for me. The fish out of water comedy works better when you actually have a straight man to bounce it off of, and that was when I finally came to terms with what this movie is. Granted, it's not enough to save it, but it does prevent me from rating this at the bottom of the barrel. At the end of the day, there is too much filler in a story that is barely feature-length, and you can randomly pick a different cartoon and likely find something better to watch than The Addams Family.