The Awakening - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Awakening Reviews

October 25, 2016
Creepy chills. The cliches are well managed, and there's a reasonable twist, but a decent dose of reality would have been both a more original and satisfying ending.
October 20, 2016
A fantastic ghost story!
½ October 14, 2016
Great scary movie with an interesting story.
October 14, 2016
Beautiful setting and atmosphere. Florence is an incredibly likeable lead character - intelligent, strong-willed, and with good emotional depth that becomes more evident as time passes. She made this film compelling even in more slowly paced scenes. This isn't a terrifying movie, but it is pleasantly spooky and the fairly slow build had a great and thrilling payoff.
October 11, 2016
I'm not so sure that the plot twist works beyond the moment it's delivered, but this is an elegant haunted house tale that harkens back to the classics, like Lewis Allen's THE UNINVITED and Peter Medak's THE CHANGELING.

This is also a very complex portrait of a woman struggling with control. She's trapped by fear and unbelief, and in the end we don't get closure, but we're happy that she did.
½ September 24, 2016
Kind of interesting movie.
½ September 14, 2016
I've rarely seen a more ridiculous film. Dominic West just about saves it... but only just.
September 4, 2016
worth watching, with great acting and direction, but the story falls apart at the end with a contrived twist.
August 31, 2016
Shouldn't be classified as a horror movie by any means, but for what it was it was really well written and brilliantly performed. The cinematography was beautiful and the storyline gave off vibes of both a Masterpiece Mystery and an M Night thriller.
½ July 12, 2016
A decent period-piece horror. The mystery that unfolds is pretty intriguing, but the package it comes in is less engaging, particularly in the first half.
July 3, 2016
Full of good jumps and scares whilst still terrifying you down to the bone with its chilling story
June 30, 2016
A confusing ending that seemed a bit rushed
½ June 1, 2016
well, at least I got to see Pemberley one last time!
May 31, 2016
Sets a decent (tense) atmosphere but then fails to deliver the subsequent scares. Rebecca Hall does a great job in the lead role.
April 29, 2016
Drags on and on but good ending
April 27, 2016
"The Awakening" es una cinta de terror neoclásico acerca de una mujer escéptica (Rebecca Hall) quien ha adquirido fama desenmascarando supuestos fenómenos paranormales en la Inglaterra victoriana. Al ser llamada para analizar la misteriosa muerte de un estudiante en un internado, ella va a descubrir que tal vez no todos los fenómenos paranormales son una ilusión. "The Awakening" es una película exquisitamente fotografiada y con un reparto de lujo (que incluye a Imelda Staunton y a Dominic West), pero es inevitable que se perciba como un trabajo poco original y derivado de "The Sixth Sense", "The Others", "El Orfanato" o "The Woman In Black". De todas maneras, es una cinta de terror elegante y realizada con clase.
April 5, 2016
so I give the first hour and twenty about a 1.5 then the last parts of it about a 4 lol sure the twist isnt totally original but still was awesomely orchestrated
March 31, 2016
"The Awakening" is psychological horror at its finest. All of the acting is beyond the expectation of a scary movie. The film is terrifying but the quality of the acting and completeness of the story make it feel more like a drama with supernatural content a la "Signs" and "Let Me In." You don't walk away from the film having nightmares because there is so much more to the story than ghosts. The Post-WWI setting is unique for a horror film and the camera filter makes the entire film feel like you are watching an old, sepia photograph. Its atmospheric cinematography elevates it into a horror film for a more sophisticated movie audience. If I had to compare it to other films, I would say that it is like "The Sixth Sense" with more jump scares and an overall scarier tone. These help to blur the line between horror and drama as it incorporates the best elements from both. I wouldn't put its quality on the same level as "The Sixth Sense," which managed six Oscar nominations and changed the horror film industry forever with its mind-bending conclusion, but that is mainly because it will be a long time until any horror film reaches that level again. The movie continually toys with you, building suspenseful music and following it by silence, but deciding at random whether there will be a jump scare or nothing at all. And then amidst quiet, innocent music, a face bursts through a pillow and scares the crap out of you. The film uses suspense so well that you spend the majority of the film filled with dread and a pounding heart as the next scare lies around the corner. And that dollhouse scene!!! The dramatic musical score enhances every moment. A lot of the scares come from what our imagination. The less that we see, the scarier the moment. And it keeps you on edge the entire time because you start seeing images out of the corner of your eye every time that you gaze away from the screen. Aside from a few moments of brief sexual content, the film is very clean and something that parents can feel comfortable watching with their teenagers to make sure that they don't get too scared. The acting is great with Rebecca Hall in the lead role and Harry Potter fans will love seeing Dolores Umbridge in a less pink role. Imelda Staunton puts on a great performance, particularly towards the end. I love the utilization of the terrifying technique of unexplained people appearing in the background of photographs. The story is amazing and this imagery sticks with you the entire film. Just when you think that the twist is good, it becomes great, and then incredible. And then the ending makes the film magnificent. All of the clues are there but the pieces don't fall into place until the very end. "The Awakening" is a very underrated film whose story will keep you guessing until the very end (...which then forces you to continue guessing).
March 30, 2016
A perfectly adequate British horror movie, but nothing more. The Awakening has some interesting elements to it, and some familiar but still enjoyable elements as well. I have a big soft spot for films with a character walking down dark coridors with a lantern, and The Awakening is full of those types of moments. There's a twist near the end that mostly works and adds a touch of hearbreak and drama to the whole thing, so that was a nice touch. Really though it's hard to say too much about this movie, it's another British haunted house horror film. I like those types of movies, so I found some enjoyment in it, but there's nothing to really make it stand out from the pack. The actings good, the twist is nice, but it's not particularly original or scary. I did like it's emphasis on quiet chills over jump scares, but it could have been more. I liked the movie well enough, it just didn't really knock my socks off.
½ February 11, 2016
The story is somewhat "classic", with the setting in an early 20th century English boarding school adding a touch which I personally enjoy greatly.
90% of the movie go by very predictably, with an interesting twist at the ending. Sadly, the director then wasn't quite sure how far to take that twist, and ended up ruining it. Nothing to write home about, except for the very interesting twist of the sexes in the first half of the movie: Rebecca Hall plays an educated smoker who at one point even wears men's clothing. Sadly, the other characters appear unphased by anything but her education, which has the movie missing out on one of it's strongest points. This is further extended when we see Hall's character spying on a naked man exiting a bathtub. This switch in tropes had my hopes very high, only to be let down when everything switched back to the same old halfway through. The formerly strong woman becomes a scared wreck in need of saving from the tough man, they fall in love, have sex, que big twist and rushed ending. The few cinematographic and storytelling high-points of the whole film are sadly ruined shortly after being built up, with the director apparently feeling the need to "explain" every single thing to us. More trust in the intelligence of the viewers and a departure from overused tropes would have made this movie one of a kind. As it stands, it's nice entertainment with a few cool shots.