The Big Short - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Short Reviews

April 24, 2019
An absolute cracker of a film, the ensemble cast works like a dream, no character seems overshadowed in a movie which could easily leave some by the wayside. Held together by a fourth wall breaking Ryan Gosling, the movie embodies the chaotic nature of the events (albeit by compressing time somewhat) but it never descends into chaos. Steve Carrell is excellent as the cynical Mark Baum and is much more watchable in this kind of movie as opposed to some of the more shticky material he is known for. Christian Bale is on top form as the analyst and hedge fund manager that predicts the Wall Street downfall before anyone else and Brad Pitt's Ben Rickert is the only character that feels the weight of the human cost of the GFC. The story still can be confusing and a little muddled on first watching but this doesn't detract from the brilliance of the movie. Adam McKay cuts from narrative to cameo exposition with ease and this never seems forced or excessive. Watch this movie.
April 16, 2019
To put this rating into perspective, I watched Vice first. If it had been the other way round, I'm pretty sure I would have given "The Big Short" a 4.5 and "Vice" a 2.5 (down from 3.5). Both films are very much the same in their use of dark comedy to mock how their events absurdly came to be. This though, is clearly the better made film, with a screenplay that does a very good job of going back and forth between the different stories. This complements the prime showcase that is McKay's very unique directing style, leading us to Margot Robbie in a bubble bath (I ABSOLUTELY loved that) and Anthony Bourdain blabbering about finance terms. This was also definitely the more tonally consistent film which flowed very well, especially considering its dense subject matter. My problem with this film though, was that it ultimately was Vice's ending on repeat: showcasing how one person (or institution's) lack of humanity can really take its toll on the rest of America. Not to say I'm complaining, because that's a perfectly acceptable message to say again. But this though was the less creative film (as from my previous review Vice has some smashing metaphors and symbols), which made the film slightly drawn out as it only puts on repeat how absurd the system was. I do though, want to give credit to Bale and Carell for their performances, especially towards the end, where they portrayed a humanity when they just see how they benefited a the brutal expense of so many others. For me, that uplifted the ending.
April 7, 2019
An outstanding film that kicked off Adam McKay's foray into serious film making.
½ April 3, 2019
An entertaining and surprisingly educational look at the housing market collapse of 2007. amazing performances by an ensemble cast. The cultural relevance of this movies subject matter in shaping the modern america can not be understated. The movies breaking of the fourth wall to explain complex economic topics creates a structure and accessibility not expected by such a dry topic.
March 24, 2019
A superb cast wasted on a movie executed in a most silly way. As I was watching the introduction I thought to myself that the rest of the movie couldn't possibly follow this same style. It did, and by the time the diagram of the testicular procedure was literally drawn on the screen I gave up hope for this movie that tries too hard to come off as intelligent, edgy, and funny. If you want to understand the financial crisis of 2008, please watch the documentary "Inside Job". Skip this silly little movie.
March 23, 2019
¿Entender que fue lo que llevo al mundo a la gran recesión del 2008?
Sí, de eso trata está excelente película con las destacadas de Pitt y Bale.
Si no la has visto, no te la pierdas.
March 14, 2019
Se vuoi capire veramente qualcosa della crisi del 2008, questo e` il film che stai cercando.
March 13, 2019
well, this is a very confused movie style wise but watchable anyway
February 20, 2019
Amazing cast, amazing screenplay. Bale as always outshines others
February 19, 2019
What a great movie! Really frikkin amazing. Emotionally deep,funny, deals with really complicated stuff in such a way everybody would understand.
Steve Carell and Christian Bale steal the show. Carell especially,he delivered a monster of a performance.
February 9, 2019
Absolutely brilliant this is - and easily explains the financial crisis in a way other movies just haven't been able to.
January 17, 2019
Quite overdramatized. So it was a few decent people (the good ones) vs. greedy, stupid bankers (the bad ones). The bad ones should have been labeled to simplify the situation further.
January 12, 2019
This is currently on a few FTA streams at the moment. So it's interesting to see it through a throwback lens.

It's still a hot tomato with chilli flakes of a film. Sometimes criticised for not being enough of comedy or enough of a drama, it holds its own as a highly creative and originally crafted film about a historical morality tale.

It's like a running newspaper print serial expose - careful explanations and creative examples.

It's a cracker! And sadly - it's topic of banking and the great world economy manipulation- looks like it's making a comeback!
December 30, 2018
If this were a documentary, it couldn't have been better.
December 7, 2018
This is probably the most fascinating movie that I don't know what to make of. It's a mixed bag of everything, both funny and frustrating about a group of individuals trying to short the real estate market. Having lived through that time period, it's a mixed feeling of kind of wanting them to succeed and kind of don't want them to succeed, but yet this has already happened so you already know where this is going. The movie did a great job of simplifying a rather complicated topic in a hilarious way. Also great casting of all top actors.
November 4, 2018
It's not very often that a film comes along that is a "must watch" for any responsible adult . . . this is such a film for anyone old enough to understand what was happening circa 2008.
½ October 24, 2018
Would be funny if it wasn't based on a true story
October 18, 2018
Saw it again on a flight. And realized that it may be the best film I've ever seen. Brilliant screenplay, screamingly fabulous editing, outstanding production design.... Then there are the actors, playing complex, frustrating, unlikable real people: A one-eyed Steve Carell. A near-suicidal, fanatical Christian Bale. Too many others, all superb. Pacing like a Formila 1 race where all the cars are evenly matched. And that prescient closing moment: "They'll do it again, and blame poor people and immigrants.' Released in 2015. Truer in 2018.
October 17, 2018
The Big Short plasma de manera impecable un mundo en el que embarcarse es bastante complicado si no lo conoces a fondo ,su montaje innovador , sus actuaciones son increbles y sus personajes muy carismticos.
½ October 9, 2018
This star-studded cast comes through in the best way possible. Great story bolstered by great performances all around