The Counselor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Counselor Reviews

½ June 25, 2017
I had high hopes for this film but it is very one dimensional and very dark, the ending is another example of tying up loose ends without creating interesting characters. The building block was there and the cast was full of quality performances but the story isn't as smart or interesting as everyone thinks it is. I didn't understand the actions of the characters or why certain characters were being blammed or murdered. Ridley Scott would've had a wide range of films to film but decided on this film for unknown reasons. The obvious bad guy scenario aside, why did they do what they did? I have no idea why the events unfolded that way or why the characters couldn't figure out the betrayal much earlier. The film is a frustrating mess and a blip on Scotts portfolio, I would've thought a film like this didn't need such a distinguished cast to tell this story. 26-06-2017.
June 18, 2017
Where is the old Ridley Scott we have known all these years??? Such a pointless movie. Has just a few good scenes but thats it. But i have to say that the performances were all very good. Especially Fassbender and Bardem. Cameron Diaz gave her best performance in her career in my opinion..
½ June 16, 2017
One of the worst movies I have seen in a long time !
½ June 15, 2017
Worst movie I have ever seen. Even beats our Dune.
½ June 11, 2017
Les critiques sont très durs je trouve avec ce film
½ June 10, 2017
Meandering and with one of the most weirdly un/erotic scenes in movie history.
June 2, 2017
Critics actually get paid to write some of these reviews? Did they even pay attention to what was happening on screen? People are too immature sometimes, they can't even get past Diaz's car scene. That scene has a purpose; she can do whatever she wants to, and show you directly to your stupid little innocent face. This is a wonderful film that shows the extreme capabilities of humans. The darkness that is a dead body getting carted around in a truck full of human waste - real, gritty imagery. Don't shrug this film off as a disappointment, watch and pay attention to what happens to human beings who aren't ready to handle the consequences of their actions.
April 2, 2017
As compelling as it is divisive. Scott's take on the timeless McCarthy tale is bleak, pointless and uncomfortable - exactly like the novel was. It's cardinal sin is feeling, at times, too novelistic - unadaptable even. Buts it's a ride that you're bound to either adore or despise.
½ March 24, 2017
I have no idea what this film is about. How in the world did this cast and crew fail? This movie is appalling.

The script is directionless, and the cast has nothing to do. Whatever Ridley Scott saw in this material beyond Cormac McCarthy's name is beyond me.

Its like an ultra-violent Calvin Klein ad. There's a lot of nonsensical flashy images, mindless sex, dialogue that goes nowhere, and pretty people. Don't look for anything substantive beyond that, because it isn't there.
March 14, 2017
Plenty of all stars on both sides of the camera, as well as lots of sex appeal-Cameron Diaz has rarely looked better-but that's about all The Counselor offers.
The pacing is horribly disjointed; the narrative bizarre; the character motives unlikely; and the "thrills", a.k.a, the various methods of murder, are unapologetically Hollywood. The film obviously wants to ram a message down the audience's collective throat, but I'll be damned if anyone can discern what that message is exactly.
Perhaps the film's greatest shortcoming is that, despite being promoted with it's stellar cast, the story is not character driven at all. It quickly devolves into a turgid mess hellbent on emphasizing the pitfalls of greed through repetitive, and decidedly meaningless, murders.
The Counselor is a bleak, incomprehensible narrative-centric picture that was sold to unsuspecting audiences as a sexy thriller chocked full of elite stars, crafted by proven filmmakers moviegoers have come to trust. It hoodwinks and disappoints all the way through to the very end. Like so many of the characters within it, this movie is utterly irredeemable.
½ March 12, 2017
Possibly the most disappointing movie I have ever seen, given the cast.
January 22, 2017
So, "suspense or thrills" are the criteria of a good movie? Who says this is a suspense thriller? Perhaps it is a movie of ideas, of themes, as is a work of good literature. The movie is, in one aspect, a critique of neoliberal economics, personified by one of the greatest transnational corporations, the drug cartel. We see here a Tragedy, where a man, who is generally good, falls victim to a flaw in his personality or makes a mistake of great consequence,either by a failure of virtue or by lack of reasoning: the counselor. The consequences of his error are great. He has entered a world that he knows little about, having a somewhat constricted view of reality. As the Jefe tells him, "You think there are things these men are not capable of. You are wrong." These men are the man we see in No Country for Old Men, Chigurh. These men are the men for whom short-term wealth and power, ending in their murder, is worth the chance, compared to the "mundane" life the rest of us lead. This is the world in which everything has a price but not much is of value. Note the large amounts of garbage, and the scene with the body in the dump, being buried along with other trash. And we see a person -- Malkina -- who is a strong woman, devious, intelligent, stoical, and evil, caring for her own gain over that of anyone else: perhaps a great capitalist. The movie exposes much that is wrong or corrupt in our world: desire for fame, wealth, possessions, with damage to others or to the environment merely "collateral damage." The cast play their parts well. The plot might be a little complicated for some, but, this is an intelligent movie that requires the viewer to be thinking, to watching for symbols, personifications, ideas being played out that might be unacceptable to some who do not see what is happening in the world. People die daily for the drug trade. People work the sex trade, often in the control of a person, usually male, who "owns" them. This is an effective film, unless all you want is to be entertained.
January 16, 2017
A huge disappointment in almost every aspect. Considering the talent behind this film (a legendary director, a writer whose novel was adapted into an Oscar-winning film, and a cast of incredible actors), this had the appearance of a modern classic. What actually results is a bleak, somewhat convoluted, and downright boring affair. The awful dialogue is too dense in far too many scenes, and a lot of it is completely irrelevant to the story. This makes it fairly difficult to follow, and what can be interpreted from the plot seems sort of cliche. The cast gives it their all, but cannot even come close to saving it.
December 16, 2016
The Counselor (2013) has to be one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen, which is only made worse by the fact that everyone involved seems deadly earnest about how clever they are for participating in this film This film is so bad that it manages to take the titillating premise of Cameron Diaz having sex with a car and turn the reality into something utterly boring. When Cameron Diaz plays a bitch, her face becomes incredibly ugly. I never noticed that before. This film somehow managed to make Cameron Diaz look ugly, which I didn't think was possible. Just a bad, really bad, really, really bad film. It is so bad it doesn't even have the courtesy to be unintentionally funny. The script of Prometheus (2012) was Shakespearean by comparison to this film, and Prometheus did not make any sense. Mark's Grade: F
December 14, 2016
a case of when bad movies happens to good actors. better in Spanish surprisingly.
½ November 30, 2016
Its alot better than people say
½ October 21, 2016
Depressing and not worth watching again
October 3, 2016
Garbage. Not only the worst movie of 2013, the worst movie of Ridley Scott's celebrated career.
½ October 1, 2016
Seductive, impulsive, daring, gruesomely original and last but not least Ridley Scott! I'm honestly shocked by the negative reviews it received from film critics.
So please don't be deceived by the critique of others and take both the chance & my advice to be your own critic with this grossly underrated film and give it a view!
I mean you would think you can't go wrong with a film that has both, the #1 sex and murder scene of recent years!
September 26, 2016
Great cast and acting, but the story was difficult to follow at times.