The Counselor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Counselor Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
Depressing and not worth watching again
October 3, 2016
Garbage. Not only the worst movie of 2013, the worst movie of Ridley Scott's celebrated career.
½ October 1, 2016
Seductive, impulsive, daring, gruesomely original and last but not least Ridley Scott! I'm honestly shocked by the negative reviews it received from film critics.
So please don't be deceived by the critique of others and take both the chance & my advice to be your own critic with this grossly underrated film and give it a view!
I mean you would think you can't go wrong with a film that has both, the #1 sex and murder scene of recent years!
September 26, 2016
Great cast and acting, but the story was difficult to follow at times.
September 18, 2016
Too many monologues!
½ August 29, 2016
This movie is bad ... disastrously bad. Cormac McCarthy's screenplay is really one of the worst I have ever encountered. The first half hour of the movie consists of very long scenes of characters talking to each other in convoluted and oblique ways that neither illuminate their character nor move the plot anywhere. Characters behave in ways that are quite puzzling, only to be illuminated by small details thrown out casually an hour later in the film. It never gets any better in this. It's a 2 hour movie with 20 minutes of plot and 3 hours of meaningless dialogue. Since they have no characters to work with, almost every actor turns in a terrible performance. Pitt is at his twitchy, mannered worst. Bardem's character is entirely summed up by his crazy hairdo. Only Fassbender comes out looking okay, but that can't save this mess of a film. Scott is the worst choice for director. He lets all this muddled nonsense slide, instead focusing on making the film look like a cologne commercial ... the longest, most frustrating cologne commercial imaginable.
August 18, 2016
The Counselor: This high-minded movie, penned by Pulitzer prize-winning writer Cormac McCarthy and directed by Ridley Scott, is a stylish but slow moving morality tale of how a Texas lawyer's one-time involvement in a shady deal leads to his ruin at the hands of Mexican drug cartels. Viewers seeking a fast-paced crime thriller will be deeply disappointed - despite some interesting moments, this film is a violent, vulgar, and pretentious character study with more plot holes than Swiss cheese and loads of pointless dialogue. Still, the all star cast turns out some interesting albeit outrageous performances - in particular Javier Bardem and Cameron Diaz, whose sociopathic James Bond villainess steals the movie with her pet cheetahs, cheetah print tattoos on her back and neck and metallic fingernail polish. C+
August 12, 2016
Fascinating and horrifying. Couldn't take my eyes away.
July 23, 2016
When we are in paradise, whats there not to like? When we like the view on top or below, to know how beautiful it is for a short while before it all disappears. When we like how its made, the way we like it. When we like things perfect and others perfect with a unique and rare flaw, that separates itself from the rest. When we surrounded by perfection and all that revolve around it. When liking something is beyond the beholder. When we like how somethings look, feel, taste, and sound like that we want more. When we like the way someone does it, or presents it that we can't get enough. When what we like we remain close with or in further contact when they are our client. When what we like are hobbies, business, and pleasure foreplay. When what we like about our client is how business is done. When other things we don't like about how business is done when those cross the line we dislike when its ruthless but fair. When we like professionals to do the job. When business deals are not like other business deals, when life is different out here. When what we like, we keep close when they are rare and exotic that we choose to treat and spoil. When the vary items in this world is a marvel that we like how it's made, shaped and valued that the vary look of it we like when it sparkles and shines in front of vary eyes. When we know all the elements and what it brings to know what people like about it, we know what we like. When we are in the business of knowing our clients as well as the product to know how to keep them coming back for more. When what others like, we like too when the world small and we present it to them in a likable away and not strange or foreign. When what we like we keep a close eye on and look out for, when they are also our client. When what we like we don't mind, when appearances don't matter. When what we don't like is when people turn, so we have surities that make stay that way. When what we don't like is too bad when we live like in harsh areas. When we have clients whom we like, we like to keep it that way. When we are in the business to lock our clients in constantly in our product for them to keep coming back whether they like it or not. When somethings we like are for other reasons we like keeping. When those whom have it harsh, don't get much what they like. When liking too much we go far for, that gets us into deep and put away for along time. When we don't like are those whom disobey the law, and getaway with it. When we like those whom snitch, feed and produce for us. When what we are good at, we like the benefits and profits it brings when we have mules. When congregating with those whom like alot of the things we like, e communicate to make a deal. When some deals are not out in the open, and we are being followed when we are disliked how we do business underneath our noses. When some clients are out in the open and do things with us either knowing or not knowing for us to matter when they are small business deals. When what we like is a clean bill of everything sound body, mind and soul. When what we like we do when it gives us the obsolution. When what we dislike we runaway quick when such great evil is too much for us to handle. When we like how some systems are so easy to follow and take advantage of. When what we like is just too bad, that we want to forget. When what we like we can overdose on too much with when its hallucinatory luxury. When you like everything there is to like and you have it all, all within your grasp, what more can we like when what is new and rare to us is no longer our value. When we like to strive for the rarest riches to know there is more to life that we can't grasp here on earth. When our business isn't enough the way we like it to be, to get as as far, we need to get more business faster. When like the next rare thing after we get another. When we become obsessed with what we like, we can lose our mind and head trying to get it. When liking somethings means we kite it more than others, we know what we are getting into. When media outlets like a good story to feed viewers with the news. When our business is out there for people to see, that we dislike. When what we don't like are those whom turn to know, whom is responsible and those involved, to know there are no coincidences. When we like how people are effected by things that reveals their weakness. When we dislike the sound of it all coming to an end. When we are naturally likeable to others, but to some enemies. When not all are likeable when it comes to business. What we dislike we go get answers from the source or others whom are on top. When we see we like when the view from high is perfect, to not see from below. When what we like we protect and like the sounds of a new life. When what we like is a dangerous business, that could get us killed or hurt. When liking something too much can get us killed. When those whom like but can't get, they scavenge through the rubble, garbage and dead. When we like what wevhave, to be set free, liberated and back into the wild. When what we like we we do too good of a job that we get it all wrong. When we don't like getting into deep in trouble withothers. When we like protection, and safety to get it from some where else. When we like somethings so much that we don't realize we crossed the line doing so, that we either accept it or not when there is no going back. When we dislike death, but find it soothing to be counseled through it to help us through. When we like that there is a business for everything that makes getting awsy much easier when we like things appearring and disappearing like that. When we like how thibgs are when we are above it and below to not lose. When we like things to not know a system in how it works to know what direction we are headed. When we naturally like what we see, with or without meaning. When what we see we couldn't before when we are clouded with the things we liked so much to care. When what we like comes at a price for others whom dislike how life is and fight for change. When we like change when it comes at the cost of those whom are the bad ones, whom crossover to the other side. When we like what we can depend on. When those whom turn on us, we dislike, but still have to pay. When we like what we do, when it work well the first and last time to continue when our hunger gets even unquenchable for more. When we like our system better when it traps those whom try to escape from it, whom enter it and become part of the wild.

Actions cause consequences that creates new worlds.
A law degree is a legal certicate to steal.
You don't know someone till you know what they want.
½ July 5, 2016
I liked the gadget for decapitating but it was an awful film...
July 3, 2016
The Counsellor is one of those rare movies that when released it gets trashed by 'professional critics' and audiences alike because they simply haven't a clue of what the films about, a film that's labelled dumb because the audience can't comprehend the complex nature and subject matter; we've already seen what happened to one such film this year because of those very reasons...
The Counsellor is a visually striking movie that benefits greatly from sumptuous cinematography and an outstanding score, the A list cast are all on their A game, every performance is just fantastic because of the heightened reality in which these characters exhibit. Every choice or action taken has a grave consequence and the film doesn't shy away from becoming an incredibly violent and twisted picture but that's okay, it gives you more reason to sympathise with the characters even though every character in the film is a criminal. To summarise The Counsellor is Arthouse done superbly, a film that if you decide to give a watch you'll need to turn on your brain immediately because one glance away from the screen and you'll be lost; you'll not be able to take in the rich and gorgeous story and world Ridley Scott and Cormac McCarthy have created.
½ June 20, 2016
The Counselor has acting and storytelling, just not as memorable as I thought it would be.
½ May 28, 2016
Sexy start with Fassbender and Cruz in bed. Good looking lawyer in love with a beautiful girl needs tons more money than he has in order to buy her the ring he wants. He ignores the warnings given by his actual clients, that are criminals, but he just smiles like they're telling silly urban myths, so dramatic. By chance, like crazy coincidence, when things go awry and they all try to make a run for it. Because, what else can you do when the cartel is after you? There are a lot of irrelevant characters with scenes that don't go anywhere. At times it was like a different movie. Like when someone tells a story and gets off track and starts taking about something. I felt like nodding my head and saying "yes, uh huh, really?" No segues, no point. Tangents running amuck. Best part: Brad Pitt's self-fulfilling prophecy monologue, too cute, even with long hair. I did like Diaz's tattoos...kinda. Don't know how she found her cats and why she didn't keep them if she did. Instead she speaks of them fondly like long lost lovers. The movie danced around subjects. We won't tell you or show you, but we'll imply so that you can figure it out like you're trying to solve some a puzzle. But it's no dateline mystery and no ta da! Not even retribution of any sort. Worst: the depressing ending. Is this the moral of the story? Be the most evil one if you want to live? At least in the Departed, Marky Mark gave us a little justice.
May 20, 2016
Couldn't even get that far into this movie it was so bad.
May 14, 2016
One of the most depressing movies ever. Having only seen the unrated cut of the film, I found myself quickly getting wrapped up in these characters due to the compelling performances on-display. My only real problem with the film, aside from it making me feel like taking a cleansing shower after, is the abrupt, sex scene opener. I don't mind sex on-screen when there's a purpose to it, this was just 5 minutes of sheer awkwardness all-around (and these are attractive actors too).
March 10, 2016
Should have been marketed as a horror film as it is hypnotic and terrifying as the best of them. Cameron Diaz is terrible as a ghoulish, evil, wrecking ball of a woman. I mean that in a good way but it is probably what killed the film for audiences. Fast forward through the seemingly endless beginning with the pedantic leading man talking like a fool and the dull sex. This intro also hurt the film. Get into the gritty story that follows and you will be shocked, scared, riveted and then both revolted and enlightened. Avoid the TV version.
½ March 8, 2016
Good, but not quite up to the standard I except from Ridley Scott.
March 8, 2016
I see that many of the criticisms stacked against this film echo the view that it's too wordy... And it is... Wordy. But as a fan of David Mamet I don't have a problem with dialogue driven movies.... But... This is no David Mamet film. It's charmless and uninteresting, flat and lacking in energy. It's a bore.
½ March 6, 2016
One of the most bizarre movies I've ever seen. The Counselor has a stellar cast and a brilliant story buried underneath woefully long winded dialogue and asinine subplots. The best way to describe this movie is that it's so in love with itself it gives no one else a reason to love it, let alone care.
½ March 6, 2016
One of the most bizarre movies I've ever seen. The Counselor has a stellar cast and brilliant story somewhere in there but it gets lost in the woefully long winded dialogue and bafflingly asinine subplots. I guess the best way to describe The Counselor is that it's so in love with itself that it gives no one else a reason to love it, let alone care.