The Counselor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Counselor Reviews

½ March 24, 2017
I have no idea what this film is about. How in the world did this cast and crew fail? This movie is appalling.

The script is directionless, and the cast has nothing to do. Whatever Ridley Scott saw in this material beyond Cormac McCarthy's name is beyond me.

Its like an ultra-violent Calvin Klein ad. There's a lot of nonsensical flashy images, mindless sex, dialogue that goes nowhere, and pretty people. Don't look for anything substantive beyond that, because it isn't there.
March 14, 2017
Plenty of all stars on both sides of the camera, as well as lots of sex appeal-Cameron Diaz has rarely looked better-but that's about all The Counselor offers.
The pacing is horribly disjointed; the narrative bizarre; the character motives unlikely; and the "thrills", a.k.a, the various methods of murder, are unapologetically Hollywood. The film obviously wants to ram a message down the audience's collective throat, but I'll be damned if anyone can discern what that message is exactly.
Perhaps the film's greatest shortcoming is that, despite being promoted with it's stellar cast, the story is not character driven at all. It quickly devolves into a turgid mess hellbent on emphasizing the pitfalls of greed through repetitive, and decidedly meaningless, murders.
The Counselor is a bleak, incomprehensible narrative-centric picture that was sold to unsuspecting audiences as a sexy thriller chocked full of elite stars, crafted by proven filmmakers moviegoers have come to trust. It hoodwinks and disappoints all the way through to the very end. Like so many of the characters within it, this movie is utterly irredeemable.
½ March 12, 2017
Possibly the most disappointing movie I have ever seen, given the cast.
January 22, 2017
So, "suspense or thrills" are the criteria of a good movie? Who says this is a suspense thriller? Perhaps it is a movie of ideas, of themes, as is a work of good literature. The movie is, in one aspect, a critique of neoliberal economics, personified by one of the greatest transnational corporations, the drug cartel. We see here a Tragedy, where a man, who is generally good, falls victim to a flaw in his personality or makes a mistake of great consequence,either by a failure of virtue or by lack of reasoning: the counselor. The consequences of his error are great. He has entered a world that he knows little about, having a somewhat constricted view of reality. As the Jefe tells him, "You think there are things these men are not capable of. You are wrong." These men are the man we see in No Country for Old Men, Chigurh. These men are the men for whom short-term wealth and power, ending in their murder, is worth the chance, compared to the "mundane" life the rest of us lead. This is the world in which everything has a price but not much is of value. Note the large amounts of garbage, and the scene with the body in the dump, being buried along with other trash. And we see a person -- Malkina -- who is a strong woman, devious, intelligent, stoical, and evil, caring for her own gain over that of anyone else: perhaps a great capitalist. The movie exposes much that is wrong or corrupt in our world: desire for fame, wealth, possessions, with damage to others or to the environment merely "collateral damage." The cast play their parts well. The plot might be a little complicated for some, but, this is an intelligent movie that requires the viewer to be thinking, to watching for symbols, personifications, ideas being played out that might be unacceptable to some who do not see what is happening in the world. People die daily for the drug trade. People work the sex trade, often in the control of a person, usually male, who "owns" them. This is an effective film, unless all you want is to be entertained.
January 16, 2017
A huge disappointment in almost every aspect. Considering the talent behind this film (a legendary director, a writer whose novel was adapted into an Oscar-winning film, and a cast of incredible actors), this had the appearance of a modern classic. What actually results is a bleak, somewhat convoluted, and downright boring affair. The awful dialogue is too dense in far too many scenes, and a lot of it is completely irrelevant to the story. This makes it fairly difficult to follow, and what can be interpreted from the plot seems sort of cliche. The cast gives it their all, but cannot even come close to saving it.
December 16, 2016
The Counselor (2013) has to be one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen, which is only made worse by the fact that everyone involved seems deadly earnest about how clever they are for participating in this film This film is so bad that it manages to take the titillating premise of Cameron Diaz having sex with a car and turn the reality into something utterly boring. When Cameron Diaz plays a bitch, her face becomes incredibly ugly. I never noticed that before. This film somehow managed to make Cameron Diaz look ugly, which I didn't think was possible. Just a bad, really bad, really, really bad film. It is so bad it doesn't even have the courtesy to be unintentionally funny. The script of Prometheus (2012) was Shakespearean by comparison to this film, and Prometheus did not make any sense. Mark's Grade: F
December 14, 2016
a case of when bad movies happens to good actors. better in Spanish surprisingly.
½ November 30, 2016
Its alot better than people say
½ October 21, 2016
Depressing and not worth watching again
October 3, 2016
Garbage. Not only the worst movie of 2013, the worst movie of Ridley Scott's celebrated career.
½ October 1, 2016
Seductive, impulsive, daring, gruesomely original and last but not least Ridley Scott! I'm honestly shocked by the negative reviews it received from film critics.
So please don't be deceived by the critique of others and take both the chance & my advice to be your own critic with this grossly underrated film and give it a view!
I mean you would think you can't go wrong with a film that has both, the #1 sex and murder scene of recent years!
September 26, 2016
Great cast and acting, but the story was difficult to follow at times.
September 18, 2016
Too many monologues!
½ August 29, 2016
This movie is bad ... disastrously bad. Cormac McCarthy's screenplay is really one of the worst I have ever encountered. The first half hour of the movie consists of very long scenes of characters talking to each other in convoluted and oblique ways that neither illuminate their character nor move the plot anywhere. Characters behave in ways that are quite puzzling, only to be illuminated by small details thrown out casually an hour later in the film. It never gets any better in this. It's a 2 hour movie with 20 minutes of plot and 3 hours of meaningless dialogue. Since they have no characters to work with, almost every actor turns in a terrible performance. Pitt is at his twitchy, mannered worst. Bardem's character is entirely summed up by his crazy hairdo. Only Fassbender comes out looking okay, but that can't save this mess of a film. Scott is the worst choice for director. He lets all this muddled nonsense slide, instead focusing on making the film look like a cologne commercial ... the longest, most frustrating cologne commercial imaginable.
August 18, 2016
The Counselor: This high-minded movie, penned by Pulitzer prize-winning writer Cormac McCarthy and directed by Ridley Scott, is a stylish but slow moving morality tale of how a Texas lawyer's one-time involvement in a shady deal leads to his ruin at the hands of Mexican drug cartels. Viewers seeking a fast-paced crime thriller will be deeply disappointed - despite some interesting moments, this film is a violent, vulgar, and pretentious character study with more plot holes than Swiss cheese and loads of pointless dialogue. Still, the all star cast turns out some interesting albeit outrageous performances - in particular Javier Bardem and Cameron Diaz, whose sociopathic James Bond villainess steals the movie with her pet cheetahs, cheetah print tattoos on her back and neck and metallic fingernail polish. C+
August 12, 2016
Fascinating and horrifying. Couldn't take my eyes away.
July 23, 2016
When we are in paradise, whats there not to like? When we like the view on top or below, to know how beautiful it is for a short while before it all disappears. When we like how its made, the way we like it. When we like things perfect and others perfect with a unique and rare flaw, that separates itself from the rest. When we surrounded by perfection and all that revolve around it. When liking something is beyond the beholder. When we like how somethings look, feel, taste, and sound like that we want more. When we like the way someone does it, or presents it that we can't get enough. When what we like we remain close with or in further contact when they are our client. When what we like are hobbies, business, and pleasure foreplay. When what we like about our client is how business is done. When other things we don't like about how business is done when those cross the line we dislike when its ruthless but fair. When we like professionals to do the job. When business deals are not like other business deals, when life is different out here. When what we like, we keep close when they are rare and exotic that we choose to treat and spoil. When the vary items in this world is a marvel that we like how it's made, shaped and valued that the vary look of it we like when it sparkles and shines in front of vary eyes. When we know all the elements and what it brings to know what people like about it, we know what we like. When we are in the business of knowing our clients as well as the product to know how to keep them coming back for more. When what others like, we like too when the world small and we present it to them in a likable away and not strange or foreign. When what we like we keep a close eye on and look out for, when they are also our client. When what we like we don't mind, when appearances don't matter. When what we don't like is when people turn, so we have surities that make stay that way. When what we don't like is too bad when we live like in harsh areas. When we have clients whom we like, we like to keep it that way. When we are in the business to lock our clients in constantly in our product for them to keep coming back whether they like it or not. When somethings we like are for other reasons we like keeping. When those whom have it harsh, don't get much what they like. When liking too much we go far for, that gets us into deep and put away for along time. When we don't like are those whom disobey the law, and getaway with it. When we like those whom snitch, feed and produce for us. When what we are good at, we like the benefits and profits it brings when we have mules. When congregating with those whom like alot of the things we like, e communicate to make a deal. When some deals are not out in the open, and we are being followed when we are disliked how we do business underneath our noses. When some clients are out in the open and do things with us either knowing or not knowing for us to matter when they are small business deals. When what we like is a clean bill of everything sound body, mind and soul. When what we like we do when it gives us the obsolution. When what we dislike we runaway quick when such great evil is too much for us to handle. When we like how some systems are so easy to follow and take advantage of. When what we like is just too bad, that we want to forget. When what we like we can overdose on too much with when its hallucinatory luxury. When you like everything there is to like and you have it all, all within your grasp, what more can we like when what is new and rare to us is no longer our value. When we like to strive for the rarest riches to know there is more to life that we can't grasp here on earth. When our business isn't enough the way we like it to be, to get as as far, we need to get more business faster. When like the next rare thing after we get another. When we become obsessed with what we like, we can lose our mind and head trying to get it. When liking somethings means we kite it more than others, we know what we are getting into. When media outlets like a good story to feed viewers with the news. When our business is out there for people to see, that we dislike. When what we don't like are those whom turn to know, whom is responsible and those involved, to know there are no coincidences. When we like how people are effected by things that reveals their weakness. When we dislike the sound of it all coming to an end. When we are naturally likeable to others, but to some enemies. When not all are likeable when it comes to business. What we dislike we go get answers from the source or others whom are on top. When we see we like when the view from high is perfect, to not see from below. When what we like we protect and like the sounds of a new life. When what we like is a dangerous business, that could get us killed or hurt. When liking something too much can get us killed. When those whom like but can't get, they scavenge through the rubble, garbage and dead. When we like what wevhave, to be set free, liberated and back into the wild. When what we like we we do too good of a job that we get it all wrong. When we don't like getting into deep in trouble withothers. When we like protection, and safety to get it from some where else. When we like somethings so much that we don't realize we crossed the line doing so, that we either accept it or not when there is no going back. When we dislike death, but find it soothing to be counseled through it to help us through. When we like that there is a business for everything that makes getting awsy much easier when we like things appearring and disappearing like that. When we like how thibgs are when we are above it and below to not lose. When we like things to not know a system in how it works to know what direction we are headed. When we naturally like what we see, with or without meaning. When what we see we couldn't before when we are clouded with the things we liked so much to care. When what we like comes at a price for others whom dislike how life is and fight for change. When we like change when it comes at the cost of those whom are the bad ones, whom crossover to the other side. When we like what we can depend on. When those whom turn on us, we dislike, but still have to pay. When we like what we do, when it work well the first and last time to continue when our hunger gets even unquenchable for more. When we like our system better when it traps those whom try to escape from it, whom enter it and become part of the wild.

Actions cause consequences that creates new worlds.
A law degree is a legal certicate to steal.
You don't know someone till you know what they want.
½ July 5, 2016
I liked the gadget for decapitating but it was an awful film...
July 3, 2016
The Counsellor is one of those rare movies that when released it gets trashed by 'professional critics' and audiences alike because they simply haven't a clue of what the films about, a film that's labelled dumb because the audience can't comprehend the complex nature and subject matter; we've already seen what happened to one such film this year because of those very reasons...
The Counsellor is a visually striking movie that benefits greatly from sumptuous cinematography and an outstanding score, the A list cast are all on their A game, every performance is just fantastic because of the heightened reality in which these characters exhibit. Every choice or action taken has a grave consequence and the film doesn't shy away from becoming an incredibly violent and twisted picture but that's okay, it gives you more reason to sympathise with the characters even though every character in the film is a criminal. To summarise The Counsellor is Arthouse done superbly, a film that if you decide to give a watch you'll need to turn on your brain immediately because one glance away from the screen and you'll be lost; you'll not be able to take in the rich and gorgeous story and world Ridley Scott and Cormac McCarthy have created.
½ June 20, 2016
The Counselor has acting and storytelling, just not as memorable as I thought it would be.