The Family Tree Reviews

• Sep 28, 2013

OK, all critics look hating it. I found it kinda funny however. A comedy form of "American Beauty".

• Dec 03, 2012

The Family Tree is a movie that is such a formulaic crapfest it doesn't even deserve for me to take time out of my schedule to write-up this review of it as I already WASTED an hour and a half of my time trying to appreciate some aspect of it (Christina Hendricks is in it for all of 3 minutes in the first twelve and gone for the remainder). I couldn't find anything else here ... and I rarely say I "wasted" my time when talking about movies (I willingly watched the sequel to Garfield to review it for friends and family); but this IS time wasted. The movie takes so many swipes and swings at many hot-button topics (religion, sexuality, adultery and marriage) that it is all muddled and ridiculous. So much is thrown at this family of wretched individuals that the audience cannot even keep all of the stupid storylines straight -- none of it is reasonable or plausible. This might be one for those who want to "go back" to a nostalgic past of glory ... and this movie is everything that is wrong with that mindset.

• Nov 23, 2012

Humorous and character rich. Enjoy!

Humorous and character rich. Enjoy!

• Oct 20, 2012

The Family Tree is a good example of why I don't believe in allowing critics to decide which movies I decide which movies I will watch. If I judged on the basis of the reviews I read here, I wouldn't have viewed this one, and on a dark comedy level, I found it very amusing--far more so than the acclaimed Tree of Life, which took the same subject seriously. While the latter film had beautiful cinematography and some lovely lyric moments, it was also confusing and often boringly slow paced, whereas the former movie was entertaining throughout. And after all, aren't films supposed to be a form of entertainment?

• May 27, 2012

this movie is just great i love all the different stories that are in that all come together as one movie

• May 16, 2012

Jeez... how many of these suburban underbelly films are we going to have to watch? This one feels particularly paint-by-numbers -- start with middle-class angst, add some religious hypocrisy and racial tension, sprinkle in a bit of dirty, dirty sex, guns, and illicit drugs, and top it off with teenage kids coming of age in a haze of irony and snark. And for what?! Even despite the high production value and relatively good acting, there is absolutely no point to this film whatsoever.

• May 14, 2012

Funny and silly stupid lol enjoyed it though..

Funny and silly stupid lol enjoyed it though..

• Apr 28, 2012

This is one of those movies that no one ever hears about, which turns out to be not bad at all.

• Apr 06, 2012

Just not a good film.

Just not a good film.

• Feb 18, 2012

This was a very sappy movie that never seemed to go anywhere. In the end the previously dysfunctional family is happy together, but nothing profound happens that makes any sense.