The Hawk Is Dying Reviews

• Dec 06, 2015

Fascinating story. Great cast. Too bad the script gives them next to nothing to work with.

• Apr 10, 2014

While the story leaves much to be desired Paul Giamatti gives a stunning performance!

• Feb 06, 2013

An incredibly hard movie for me to care about, despite Paul Giamatti's stand out performance. The hawk gets annoying, particularly when he starts carrying it around. The pace is too slow, despite the sombre events I just lost interest. The scene when his nephew's body is discovered is powerful, beautiful and raw performances make this a stand out scene, I just wish this power had continued throughout the whole movie. A bit of a sleeper.

• Jun 03, 2012

Weird. Eccentric. But endearing. Enjoyed it.

Weird. Eccentric. But endearing. Enjoyed it.

• Jul 15, 2011

A warm and wonderful, lesson learning experience.

A warm and wonderful, lesson learning experience.

• May 15, 2011

Not a movie for everyone. It's slow moving, and Giamatti really seems to be forcing his character, I think as a result of Pitt not being allowed enough screen time. Over all, like most films Giamatti is involved in, the story is rich with personifications, and the end is bittersweet.

• Sarah P Super Reviewer
    Oct 09, 2010

I thought the acting was very good and the story was interesting, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into it.

• Jan 25, 2010

So, the premise is this: George desperately wants to train a hawk and, despite failing 4 times resulting in 4 separate hawk's deaths, he is confident that this time will be different. Sideplots involve the death of a handicapped nephew, his failure to earn respect and esteem of his peers, and a budding relationship with a junky college student. It's all quite bizarre, but it's also captivating if for no other reason than Giamatti's performance and the spectacle of a man's relationship with a hawk. The hawk is George's ticket to respect and its presence is an essential extension of his character, and depending on your ability to buy into that (even in strange amusement), the movie is pretty strong.

• Oct 14, 2009

Paul Giamatti still knows how to entertain as the plot continues on in this film.

• Aug 05, 2009

I liked the it because Paul Giamatti is an easy guy to watch. He's like your average everyman. He lends an intensity to all his roles. The consensus opinion is wrong. Yes the story isn't a happy fairytale that is watchable by all. It is also not so morose that it isn't interesting. It is a man trying to validate his life in a unique way in spite of lack of support from friends and family.