The Raid: Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Raid: Redemption Reviews

December 28, 2017
Ip man it's not. Oh no no, that was a compliment.
December 18, 2017
Rejuvenated my faith in action movies.
December 17, 2017
I regret not watching this sooner
November 22, 2017
fightimg is best to date, on the edge of my seat the entire time!! awesome
½ November 12, 2017
A bit of a slow start when you are waiting to get into the action but once this started it was full throttle. I was worried d that there were going to be endless gun battles so was quite glad when this past and was replaced with Kung fu action. The actor getting thrown from one balcony to the other was my favourite set piece.
October 25, 2017
You will be hard pressed to find action that will top this non-stop thrill ride. Gareth Evans brings a stylish direction to every scene and gives the fight scenes specifically long takes and a lively camera. The characters are a bit thin, but with such a simple plot, getting more information isn't vital, just wanted.
½ October 19, 2017
Incredible movie, if you want anything other than a realistically violent action/fighting movie, don't bother. Loved it!
September 29, 2017
Bloody good fun. I love well choreographed fight scenes and this has it.
September 11, 2017
Great action scenes, brutal and fully entertaining.
August 18, 2017
Wow, those fight scenes made me writhe in pain.
½ August 15, 2017
A lot of action and great fight scenes turns this movie into a must-see for genre lovers.
½ August 15, 2017
The Raid is the Indonesian version of Dredd. I know this was released first but I couldn't get it out of my head! We follow a SWAT team who raid an apartment block in order to capture Pa-Pa, but the Pa-Pa clan aren't going to make it easy...(ok fine, no more Dredd references). One minute in and our main character is punching, elbowing and kicking a sand bag at 100mph. Bam! I was ready to sit back and watch a heck load of hand combat unfold. 40 minutes later, still no hand combat scenes...I was growing agitated. Thankfully though, the film turned around and our main character was battling his way through using only his body and knives. I'm talking full annihilation. Complete decimation. The residents did not stand a chance! Wham! Bam! Kapow! Swish! Slice! Followed by continuous noises as our characters fights to death. "Ah! Ehh! Phwoarrr! Hai! Ohhh!"...you get the gist. The action is pretty relentless, well executed and rapid. The choreography is insane. INSANE! There is one scene where two good guys are against one bad guy (apologies for the bland description) that goes on for six minutes. I have never seen so much flipping, kicks to the head, jump punches and head smashes to the floor...in my life. The bad guy in that scene is like the Indonesian Terminator, he just wouldn't die. The directing was good overall, not many quick cuts although the camera was particularly shaky during the first half. My problems with the film are with the plot conveniences and predictability. I don't really want to dive into it for spoiler reasons but if our main character is in a tricky situation, something would always happen to get him out. Any "twists" that were executed, were predictable and poorly constructed. Also some fight scenes in rooms have all the furniture right next to the walls, therefore leaving a massive open space for the fight. I would like to have seen them use the furniture to their advantage. Plus, I literally just watched it and don't know the main character's name. At all. Greatest action movie ever? No, but it's good!
½ August 12, 2017
Not my type of film. Plenty of action but just got boring in the end
July 31, 2017
The Raid is a brutally violent Indonesian film about a SWAT team that raids a Jakarta building to take down a drug lord, only to suffer overwhelming casualties. The film is action-packed, and dominated by martial arts and the improbably-timed attacks that allow martial arts film protagonists to keep going. It is interesting to compare the gritty The Raid to the slick American film Dredd (2012), which has a similar plot, but more guns. While Dredd gets the viewer through with stunning visuals and an occasional touch of humor, The Raid leaves the viewer fatigued and demoralized by relentless violence.
July 14, 2017
This film has a pretty shallow backstory, but it's more about a creative action film flexing its techniques in a brutal and fast manner. Watch this and you'll see where I hope action films go in the future, especially fight scenes - which are basically violent ballets. I was engaged the entire time, which is all I can ask for with a movie like this. I don't know if I'll be rewatching any time soon, but I'm glad I've seen it.
½ June 13, 2017
Action was great. Some parts were over the top but overall one of the best actions I've seen.
½ June 12, 2017
In a word: awesome. This movie is decidedly by-the-numbers, but it's ingenious director knows it and won't let that stand. Gareth Evans takes the simple premise of a bunch of cops versus a seemingly endless army of deadly criminals, and turns it into a tension-filled display of awesome action and creative filmmaking. With the numbing pace of a side-scrolling video game and the visual creativity of an art house film, Evans is the movie's real breakthrough star (no disrespect to Iko Uwais, of course). This is a fast and creative piece of bone-crushing action that I could watch again and again! I love it!
May 15, 2017
Grade - B
'The Raid' features excellent fight choreography and a lightning fast pace, all backed up with a good score; but loses marks due to its bare-bones story.
½ May 4, 2017
As close to a video game as you can probably get. We follow an Indonesian SWAT team as they break into a fortress-like tenement building that is home to a notorious criminal/drug dealer. Once the action starts, it never lets up - hundreds of baddies pour out of every doorway and stream down every hall. The ultra-violence quotient is cranked up impossibly high - blood spurts and squirts everywhere and the martial arts fighting (Pencak Silat) is rough and brutal; this film is not for the squeamish. However, you'll probably find yourself thinking more about the stunt coordinator and the mechanics of making the action look realistic than worrying about the real hurts involved. Still, the ruthlessness is a downside for me, as I much prefer the Jacky Chan-style of fighting film with some comic relief thrown in for good measure. Then I can enjoy the choreography without grimacing too much. Here, the relentlessness can be rather grinding (and the thumping soundtrack heightens the effect); you also have to wonder (and worry?) whether there are people who get off on the violence of it all. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a visceral rush and can look past the broken bones and machetes to the throat, this is a taut action film.