The Raid: Redemption - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Raid: Redemption Reviews

September 29, 2017
Bloody good fun. I love well choreographed fight scenes and this has it.
September 11, 2017
Great action scenes, brutal and fully entertaining.
August 18, 2017
Wow, those fight scenes made me writhe in pain.
½ August 15, 2017
A lot of action and great fight scenes turns this movie into a must-see for genre lovers.
½ August 15, 2017
The Raid is the Indonesian version of Dredd. I know this was released first but I couldn't get it out of my head! We follow a SWAT team who raid an apartment block in order to capture Pa-Pa, but the Pa-Pa clan aren't going to make it easy...(ok fine, no more Dredd references). One minute in and our main character is punching, elbowing and kicking a sand bag at 100mph. Bam! I was ready to sit back and watch a heck load of hand combat unfold. 40 minutes later, still no hand combat scenes...I was growing agitated. Thankfully though, the film turned around and our main character was battling his way through using only his body and knives. I'm talking full annihilation. Complete decimation. The residents did not stand a chance! Wham! Bam! Kapow! Swish! Slice! Followed by continuous noises as our characters fights to death. "Ah! Ehh! Phwoarrr! Hai! Ohhh!"...you get the gist. The action is pretty relentless, well executed and rapid. The choreography is insane. INSANE! There is one scene where two good guys are against one bad guy (apologies for the bland description) that goes on for six minutes. I have never seen so much flipping, kicks to the head, jump punches and head smashes to the floor...in my life. The bad guy in that scene is like the Indonesian Terminator, he just wouldn't die. The directing was good overall, not many quick cuts although the camera was particularly shaky during the first half. My problems with the film are with the plot conveniences and predictability. I don't really want to dive into it for spoiler reasons but if our main character is in a tricky situation, something would always happen to get him out. Any "twists" that were executed, were predictable and poorly constructed. Also some fight scenes in rooms have all the furniture right next to the walls, therefore leaving a massive open space for the fight. I would like to have seen them use the furniture to their advantage. Plus, I literally just watched it and don't know the main character's name. At all. Greatest action movie ever? No, but it's good!
½ August 12, 2017
Not my type of film. Plenty of action but just got boring in the end
July 31, 2017
The Raid is a brutally violent Indonesian film about a SWAT team that raids a Jakarta building to take down a drug lord, only to suffer overwhelming casualties. The film is action-packed, and dominated by martial arts and the improbably-timed attacks that allow martial arts film protagonists to keep going. It is interesting to compare the gritty The Raid to the slick American film Dredd (2012), which has a similar plot, but more guns. While Dredd gets the viewer through with stunning visuals and an occasional touch of humor, The Raid leaves the viewer fatigued and demoralized by relentless violence.
July 14, 2017
This film has a pretty shallow backstory, but it's more about a creative action film flexing its techniques in a brutal and fast manner. Watch this and you'll see where I hope action films go in the future, especially fight scenes - which are basically violent ballets. I was engaged the entire time, which is all I can ask for with a movie like this. I don't know if I'll be rewatching any time soon, but I'm glad I've seen it.
½ June 13, 2017
Action was great. Some parts were over the top but overall one of the best actions I've seen.
½ June 12, 2017
In a word: awesome. This movie is decidedly by-the-numbers, but it's ingenious director knows it and won't let that stand. Gareth Evans takes the simple premise of a bunch of cops versus a seemingly endless army of deadly criminals, and turns it into a tension-filled display of awesome action and creative filmmaking. With the numbing pace of a side-scrolling video game and the visual creativity of an art house film, Evans is the movie's real breakthrough star (no disrespect to Iko Uwais, of course). This is a fast and creative piece of bone-crushing action that I could watch again and again! I love it!
May 15, 2017
Grade - B
'The Raid' features excellent fight choreography and a lightning fast pace, all backed up with a good score; but loses marks due to its bare-bones story.
½ May 4, 2017
As close to a video game as you can probably get. We follow an Indonesian SWAT team as they break into a fortress-like tenement building that is home to a notorious criminal/drug dealer. Once the action starts, it never lets up - hundreds of baddies pour out of every doorway and stream down every hall. The ultra-violence quotient is cranked up impossibly high - blood spurts and squirts everywhere and the martial arts fighting (Pencak Silat) is rough and brutal; this film is not for the squeamish. However, you'll probably find yourself thinking more about the stunt coordinator and the mechanics of making the action look realistic than worrying about the real hurts involved. Still, the ruthlessness is a downside for me, as I much prefer the Jacky Chan-style of fighting film with some comic relief thrown in for good measure. Then I can enjoy the choreography without grimacing too much. Here, the relentlessness can be rather grinding (and the thumping soundtrack heightens the effect); you also have to wonder (and worry?) whether there are people who get off on the violence of it all. Nevertheless, if you are looking for a visceral rush and can look past the broken bones and machetes to the throat, this is a taut action film.
May 2, 2017
Show indonesia can make great action movie
½ April 30, 2017
Epic action film with some awesome action scenes sadly the shaky cam was really bad at some points would have given three stars but for poor camera work couldn't do it 2 1/2 out of 4. Really wanted to give it three.
½ March 31, 2017
I give this a 91/A-.
March 14, 2017
All you want in a martial arts film
February 25, 2017
Martial arts has always been a fascination to the world at least in the movies since Bruce Lee's foray into Hollywood. The same enthusiasm has been carried forward by Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Tony Jaa and the likes in their own style while adapting to changing times. Thus far, the primary combination has always been that of martial arts, modern technology and modern crime world along with a healthy dose of PG entertainment thrown in with occassional fantasy setups and animation. With 'The Raid: Redemption', it is taken to a whole new territory of gore, grit and overall graphic violence which marks a definitive shift in its target audience while putting the Indonesian movie industry in the global map of cinema along the way.

Rama (Iko Uwais) is a rookie in the tactical police team which has been assigned to engage a crime syndicate operating from an apartment building. The team is led by Jaka (Joe Taslim) based on the intel procured from Wahyu (Pierre Gruno) and the operation was expected to be quick and silent. The mob boss Tama (Ray Sahetapy), his muscle Mad Dog (Yayan Ruhian) and brain Andi (Donny Alamsyah) along with a huge network of spotters (generally children), surveillance cameras and mercenaries was underestimated by the tactical team. The whole operation goes downhill as soon as it starts with body count rising and a never ending barrage of bad guys popping up in every corner. Rama and Wahyu have their own agenda amid all the chaos. Can they make it out alive?

You get a similar scenario as that of 'Black Hawk Down' where a large and sophisticated military team go into Somalia for a quick and clean mission but end up losing many men and the rest scared and desperate to get back in one piece. 'The Raid' isn't about getting back in one piece but to pursue on relentlessly and at the same time playing for the masses every opportunity it gets. The graphic violence and the gore is on another level compared to movies of this genre. Even though there are a lot of gun battles, there are even more fist and knife fights which is where things get murkier. Skulls crushed, arms and legs broken, spines twisted, jaws cracked, torsos slashed and blood everywhere. Definitely not your average action movie.

Considering the entire story is just the movie's namesake - a raid, even though the twists, revelations, human relationships etc. are all projected with the right intensity and strategically timed - it is the visual display of those martial arts combined with graphic violence that wins big for it. The action choreography is very innovative where the kicks and punches come in lightening pace and bodies are crushed in ways a normal viewer wouldn't have imagined. Complementing it is the excellent cinematography where each kick and punch is captured and projected with the maximum intensity for genre audience's pleasure. Generally the acting in Asian movies are a little overboard, but 'The Raid' makes sure the standard is very different from normal by maintaining the correct tone and the actors are to be commended for it. With a short runtime, crisp screenplay and enough twists in the script to keep the viewer engaged, the movie is a complete package for whoever can stomach the gore and violence.

Not your average martial-art themed action flick, but every other can become a child's play after seeing this.
½ February 25, 2017
This is no doubt one of the greatest action movies I have ever seen. This is a violent movie with very little dialogue so know that before going in. The hand to hand fighting in this film is the best to ever be put on the big screen. This movie seriously blew me away. The one flaw would be that it doesn't have the greatest plot but it's enough to keep the action interesting. Please do yourself a favor and watch this movie!
jamrcla
February 18, 2017
An amazing film with some of the best action i've seen in a film ever, The plot is simple go in and take everyone out but as you can guess it doesn't go to plan, I was in two minds whether to watch this or not because it's subtitled and it does put allot of people off but I'm glad I did it's a must watch for all action fans plus there's an English voice over on dvd/blu ray, Let's hope the American remake is just as violent and bloody please.