The Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Town Reviews

½ March 16, 2017
The death of Jeremy Renner always gets to me.
½ March 10, 2017
A solid cast and editing that captures the criminal atmosphere quite well. Unfortunately, the plot falls into a fairly generic "heist" formula.
March 9, 2017
Great, if highly exaggerated, film based on the "Bank Robbery Capital of the World" (thanks, geography). Even as a local (aka "toonie"), I still find this laughable. Jeremy Renner's "Jem" steals the show.

Note: there are 2 versions of the film. The Theatrical Version & the Director's Cut. The theatrical is heavily edited while the director's cut is based more on the book.
½ March 8, 2017
A ferocious heist flick! Very entertaining and excellent character development!
½ March 7, 2017
My biggest concern with The Town is the glorification of robbery. Affleck's performance made me want to puke, the direction was a mess and the story was not engaging at all, I had to watch this in two parts. An overrated garbage really.
½ March 5, 2017
A well acted, well directed, smartly written movie. But...thats all it is. There isnt anything mind blowing or special about it. Ben Affleck didnt give his "stamp" to it. It feels like an above average director directed this movie.
March 2, 2017
Favorite movie of all time
February 21, 2017
Grade - A-
Featuring thrilling heist scenes, fantastic performances and an excellent script, 'The Town' manages to overcome its genre cliches and poor ending thanks to interesting characters and the heavy emphasis on drama as opposed to mindless shootouts.
½ February 2, 2017
This movie sucked so much that I decided to write a review. Oh my god, I don't know where to start. I don't know if there is such award as Anti-Oscar. Probably, there is, because creators obviously were trying to win it in all nominations possible. Worst actor/actress, worst screenplay, worst movie, worst movie of all time, worst movie of all time and space.

It is like Ben Affleck was thinking: OK you don't like how I act? I can make you suffer even more! I will make my own movie with blackjack and hookers! You will PLEAD me to ACT, so that I didn't have time to MAKE movies! Ha-ha-ha!!!

I was watching this movie, waiting for two hours: now scenario will twist and the action will become interesting, suddenly I will see all previous BS in a new light, -- I was telling myself. Nope. Here's how you should watch this movie: watch first five minutes, then assume continuation in most beaten, in most Hollywood-cliché way, -- and it's like you've seen the entire movie. I've just saved you 2 hours of your life. You are welcome.
January 22, 2017
Well acted movie with great performances by Ben Affleck, a little boring, but with a strong and good script and good story.
½ January 20, 2017
As thrilling as it is entertaining, the Town is an intelligent and sharp crime drama that Ben Affleck directs with masterful skill.
January 16, 2017
This is Ben Afflek's best movie and thats coming from a guy that love's Argo. But this movie had me on the edge of my seat from start to beginning. This is the best heist film I have ever seen. The acting in this movie is superb and that goes from Ben Affleck, Rebbeca Hall, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Chris Cooper, to Jon Hamm. I can't recommend this movie enough and a perfect thriller directed by Ben Affleck himself.
January 6, 2017
My only five star rating. Awesome movie. Introduces Jeremy Renner to the movies as a top actor!
January 5, 2017
tense crime thriller
December 17, 2016
Equal parts brilliance and boredom - Affleck is clearly a talented director but large stretches of this film go nowhere interesting. The bank heists and shootouts are as well shot as anything from Heat, and there are some terrific performances to compensate for the unfocused storytelling.
½ December 16, 2016
Love the Boston feel and how the cast really brings that to life. Great heist movie with high suspense moments. Hard not to root for the bad guys here, if you can even call them that. Don't know how I hadn't watched this until this year. Great piece of cinema in my world.
½ November 21, 2016
Solid if unexceptional heist thriller. Strong acting all round but the film overall stays well within the conventions of the genre.
Extended version: doesn't add much more or detract from the theatrical version.
November 13, 2016
A very good watch. Ben Affleck at his best, with a quality cast that helps keep the tension going.
November 12, 2016
This was so booooooring. Bem affleck's performance ughhhhfhghghf
November 12, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: A crime thriller with surprising depth; 'The Town' isn't just great edge-of-your-seat cops and robbers stuff - it genuinely makes you understand both sides too. That's a rare thing, and it's only possible with this mad yet successful story and script. I just love the idea behind the whole thing as it also allows for these surprisng social narratives and brilliant character interactions to come together really well. The reason the experience you have watching it is so great though is that it's all delivered so expertly, thanks to an excellent performance from Affleck behind the camera, and from his strong supporting cast in front of it.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: That 'mad' story is just a little too mad for you to genuinely get attatched to the core relationship. That isn't helped either by the lack of 'show not tell' when it comes to the characterisation.
VERDICT: A thrilling ride that engages you with it's heart on one side and it's gritty elements on the other. Well done Affleck.