The Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Town Reviews

½ January 20, 2017
As thrilling as it is entertaining, the Town is an intelligent and sharp crime drama that Ben Affleck directs with masterful skill.
January 16, 2017
This is Ben Afflek's best movie and thats coming from a guy that love's Argo. But this movie had me on the edge of my seat from start to beginning. This is the best heist film I have ever seen. The acting in this movie is superb and that goes from Ben Affleck, Rebbeca Hall, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Chris Cooper, to Jon Hamm. I can't recommend this movie enough and a perfect thriller directed by Ben Affleck himself.
January 6, 2017
My only five star rating. Awesome movie. Introduces Jeremy Renner to the movies as a top actor!
January 5, 2017
tense crime thriller
½ January 1, 2017
A well acted, well directed, smartly written movie. But...thats all it is. There isnt anything mind blowing or special about it. Ben Affleck didnt give his "stamp" to it. It feels like an average director directed this movie.
December 17, 2016
Equal parts brilliance and boredom - Affleck is clearly a talented director but large stretches of this film go nowhere interesting. The bank heists and shootouts are as well shot as anything from Heat, and there are some terrific performances to compensate for the unfocused storytelling.
½ December 16, 2016
Love the Boston feel and how the cast really brings that to life. Great heist movie with high suspense moments. Hard not to root for the bad guys here, if you can even call them that. Don't know how I hadn't watched this until this year. Great piece of cinema in my world.
½ November 21, 2016
Solid if unexceptional heist thriller. Strong acting all round but the film overall stays well within the conventions of the genre.
Extended version: doesn't add much more or detract from the theatrical version.
November 13, 2016
A very good watch. Ben Affleck at his best, with a quality cast that helps keep the tension going.
November 12, 2016
This was so booooooring. Bem affleck's performance ughhhhfhghghf
November 12, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: A crime thriller with surprising depth; 'The Town' isn't just great edge-of-your-seat cops and robbers stuff - it genuinely makes you understand both sides too. That's a rare thing, and it's only possible with this mad yet successful story and script. I just love the idea behind the whole thing as it also allows for these surprisng social narratives and brilliant character interactions to come together really well. The reason the experience you have watching it is so great though is that it's all delivered so expertly, thanks to an excellent performance from Affleck behind the camera, and from his strong supporting cast in front of it.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: That 'mad' story is just a little too mad for you to genuinely get attatched to the core relationship. That isn't helped either by the lack of 'show not tell' when it comes to the characterisation.
VERDICT: A thrilling ride that engages you with it's heart on one side and it's gritty elements on the other. Well done Affleck.
November 11, 2016
Very good plot, great action and romance. Ben Affleck nail it with a great performance as a actor and director!
November 7, 2016
The Town is an interesting story brought to life by a talented cast and sure-handed direction.
½ October 28, 2016
I've been waiting a while to see this movie, and am a big fan of crime flicks such as Heat, and since this movie has a similar plot, I knew I would like it. The robbery scenes are great and the highlight of the film, in particular the lead up to the second robbery, which we see the team driving through the streets in their van in slow motion, clutching their weapons and dresses in scary nun costumes. The acting is impressive, I like the cast as a whole, Ben Affleck, who is kinda hot and miss performs great, as does Jeremy Renner in his troubled characters roll, and Jon Hamm as the good/bad guy FBI agent who is tasked with bringing the group down. The cinematography is great, it's well shot and the scenes with action are impressive, the script is great, and even the non action moments have a tense feel to them. The action scenes are very good as well, not as good as the Heat shootouts, (but what can compete) but intense with good sound effects and violence and blood. The scene where Jeremy's character sacrificed himself so Affleck can escape and try his life with his new girl is great too, as is the rest of how the film closes off. Overall very good movie, entertaining and not just a mindless action shooter.
October 18, 2016
What a wonderful film! I can go on and on writing positive things about the film, but one aspect that I would really like to highlight is, is its ending. Extremely realistic and the kind of approach that people take in real life.

Thrilling, keeps you on your toes throughout and is one of the best heist films. The best thing about it being that right through, till the very end, one gets the feeling that the guy will not be able to flee and would eventually get caught, but he doesn't. Throughout you deal with a fear, yet in the end it proves out to be nothing. A thing where it differentiate from a lot of heist films is, the guy/team were never shown to be any smart players, or masterminds of any kind. It was all so real and it just happened, you know.

Again, in short, a brilliant film!
October 15, 2016
Amazing from start to finish!
½ October 15, 2016
This is my least favorite affleck directed movie but still good.
½ October 14, 2016
If only the cops could shoot straight they could have put an end to this dreadful romance drama much sooner
October 12, 2016
When "Heat" meets "The Departed."
October 3, 2016
Just rewatched The Town. Still as amazingly good as when it came out!