The Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Town Reviews

½ August 16, 2017
A brilliant cops and robbers film, the best of it's genre since Heat in my eyes. Also quite similar to The Departed so if you like those two, who doesn't? You'll want to see this. Based on an award winning book for crime writing "Prince of Thieves" This has great action, a fine cast, interesting story, the whole thing oozes class. Ben Affleck directs and does a great job. Very enjoyable check it out!
August 8, 2017
By far the best film I've seen since Micheal Manns (Heat) in 95. Ben Affleck takes on his best role yet as an ex NHL wash out player left with no choice but to follow in the foot steps of his father Stephen Macray (Chris cooper) facing life in prison for double homicide as a result from a past armored truck robbery gone wrong. Doug is struggling with addiction hoping every heist they pull will be their last big score, however his childhood best friend James who took a bullet for him and is spending ten years jail for the murder reminds Doug he owes him payback. Gossip Girl star Blake Lively (Krista Coughlin) in her most dramatic role yet shows the audience a true broken hearted Boston girl, struggling with an oxy and cocaine addiction. Krista is convinced Doug is father of her child. Karma blinds the audience with the outcome as Doug tries to marry the love of his life Claire Kesey (Rebecca Hall ) a bank teller he met during a heist. Is true love fate .....
½ August 6, 2017
Typically, the thought of watching a Ben Affleck movie makes me ill, but I have to say ... This is a good gritty movie with a great cast!
July 24, 2017
Best Affleck movie as a director.
July 23, 2017
and to think Ben Affleck was a generic actor, he stole the show in my favorite heist movie ever
July 23, 2017
Poorly Jeremy Renner
June 30, 2017
Fantastic story, great cast, great action, and an intriguing look at a life of crime.
June 21, 2017
I thought it was a pretty awesome movie.
June 21, 2017
The Town features great direction and fantastic story telling in the thriller that will have you gripping the edge of your seat until the end.
June 13, 2017
Great, if highly exaggerated, film based on the "Bank Robbery Capital of the World". Even as a local (aka "toonie"), I still find this laughable. Jeremy Renner's "Jem" steals the show.

Note: there are 2 versions of the film. The Theatrical Version & the Director's Cut. The theatrical is heavily edited while the director's cut is based more on the book.
June 2, 2017
Ben Affleck's sophomore film as director lives up to the high bar he set with his debut, 'Gone Baby Gone'. The cast and script make for a tense, engaging thriller. Jeremy Renner is especially great here.
May 19, 2017
My favorite robbery movie, ever. In my opinion this is the most underrated script ever. The performances by Affleck, Renner, Hall, Hamm, and Lively make this movie great. It's authentic Boston that Affleck sets up beautifully. I also think the trailer is underrated. This movie isn't talked about enough, but you will not be disappointed after you watch it.
May 14, 2017
Great cast and thrilling action scenes, but I felt the movie was too long?
May 12, 2017
"The Town" is unlike any heist movie you've ever seen. It's grounded in reality and maintains a gritty feel throughout. I thought Affleck's direction was great and the movie it put together really well. Every heist sequence in this movie is thrilling and keeps you engaged. The performances are good all around, the standout is Jeremy Renner. I didn't know what to expect in this movie and definitely could not have predicted how it ended. it is a movie that isn't always the most pleasant, but it is constantly entertaining and suspenseful. The atmosphere absorbs you into this dark world and you are intrigued from the opening sequence.
May 4, 2017
The Town may not have the most original story but its characters and the actors who portray them feel so realistic that the clichés fade away.
½ April 26, 2017
An impressively different type of story for a bank robbery
April 9, 2017
such a good film. from start to finish this film delivers
March 29, 2017
It sure was entertaining but man was it too long! The plot was okay I guees, but some of its central storylines never managed to win me over and I had an issue with them thoughout the movie. It was more of a romance than I could use and I really had a sense of not knowing what to think of the characters. It was fine,but not really what I would have wanted it to be.
March 27, 2017
When I first saw this movie as a kid I was astonished. I thought that this was the best heist movie I had seen at the time. I don't remember if I cried or not but the way I saw this movie was like if it were a masterpiece. Now that I am grown up and have went back to rewatching this film my view has changed. Yes the movie has action, yes it has drama, yes it it located in Boston and the characters are Irish American but no this movie isn't good enough to be a classic. In the end of the day Ben Affleck's film might be good as an a heist movie for the time being but it is a generic movie. The story isn't that interesting and the drama... well I've seen better. I will say if you haven't seen the movie give it a try for if you haven't seen it well your experience will be different the first time watching it.