The Town - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Town Reviews

May 19, 2017
My favorite robbery movie, ever. In my opinion this is the most underrated script ever. The performances by Affleck, Renner, Hall, Hamm, and Lively make this movie great. It's authentic Boston that Affleck sets up beautifully. I also think the trailer is underrated. This movie isn't talked about enough, but you will not be disappointed after you watch it.
May 14, 2017
Great cast and thrilling action scenes, but I felt the movie was too long?
May 12, 2017
"The Town" is unlike any heist movie you've ever seen. It's grounded in reality and maintains a gritty feel throughout. I thought Affleck's direction was great and the movie it put together really well. Every heist sequence in this movie is thrilling and keeps you engaged. The performances are good all around, the standout is Jeremy Renner. I didn't know what to expect in this movie and definitely could not have predicted how it ended. it is a movie that isn't always the most pleasant, but it is constantly entertaining and suspenseful. The atmosphere absorbs you into this dark world and you are intrigued from the opening sequence.
May 4, 2017
The Town may not have the most original story but its characters and the actors who portray them feel so realistic that the clichés fade away.
½ April 26, 2017
An impressively different type of story for a bank robbery
April 9, 2017
such a good film. from start to finish this film delivers
March 29, 2017
It sure was entertaining but man was it too long! The plot was okay I guees, but some of its central storylines never managed to win me over and I had an issue with them thoughout the movie. It was more of a romance than I could use and I really had a sense of not knowing what to think of the characters. It was fine,but not really what I would have wanted it to be.
March 27, 2017
When I first saw this movie as a kid I was astonished. I thought that this was the best heist movie I had seen at the time. I don't remember if I cried or not but the way I saw this movie was like if it were a masterpiece. Now that I am grown up and have went back to rewatching this film my view has changed. Yes the movie has action, yes it has drama, yes it it located in Boston and the characters are Irish American but no this movie isn't good enough to be a classic. In the end of the day Ben Affleck's film might be good as an a heist movie for the time being but it is a generic movie. The story isn't that interesting and the drama... well I've seen better. I will say if you haven't seen the movie give it a try for if you haven't seen it well your experience will be different the first time watching it.
March 26, 2017
Ben Affleck at his best. Solid character driven movie about bank robbers tied to the Boston mob. Aflleck adds little touches here and there that make this movie better than most. Although a bit too happy ending for me.
½ March 10, 2017
A solid cast and editing that captures the criminal atmosphere quite well. Unfortunately, the plot falls into a fairly generic "heist" formula.
March 9, 2017
Great, if highly exaggerated, film based on the "Bank Robbery Capital of the World" (thanks, geography). Even as a local (aka "toonie"), I still find this laughable. Jeremy Renner's "Jem" steals the show.

Note: there are 2 versions of the film. The Theatrical Version & the Director's Cut. The theatrical is heavily edited while the director's cut is based more on the book.
½ March 8, 2017
A ferocious heist flick! Very entertaining and excellent character development!
½ March 7, 2017
My biggest concern with The Town is the glorification of robbery. Affleck's performance made me want to puke, the direction was a mess and the story was not engaging at all, I had to watch this in two parts. An overrated garbage really.
½ March 5, 2017
A well acted, well directed, smartly written movie. But...thats all it is. There isnt anything mind blowing or special about it. Ben Affleck didnt give his "stamp" to it. It feels like an above average director directed this movie.
March 2, 2017
Favorite movie of all time
February 21, 2017
Grade - A-
Featuring thrilling heist scenes, fantastic performances and an excellent script, 'The Town' manages to overcome its genre cliches and poor ending thanks to interesting characters and the heavy emphasis on drama as opposed to mindless shootouts.
½ February 2, 2017
This movie sucked so much that I decided to write a review. Oh my god, I don't know where to start. I don't know if there is such award as Anti-Oscar. Probably, there is, because creators obviously were trying to win it in all nominations possible. Worst actor/actress, worst screenplay, worst movie, worst movie of all time, worst movie of all time and space.

It is like Ben Affleck was thinking: OK you don't like how I act? I can make you suffer even more! I will make my own movie with blackjack and hookers! You will PLEAD me to ACT, so that I didn't have time to MAKE movies! Ha-ha-ha!!!

I was watching this movie, waiting for two hours: now scenario will twist and the action will become interesting, suddenly I will see all previous BS in a new light, -- I was telling myself. Nope. Here's how you should watch this movie: watch first five minutes, then assume continuation in most beaten, in most Hollywood-cliché way, -- and it's like you've seen the entire movie. I've just saved you 2 hours of your life. You are welcome.
January 22, 2017
Well acted movie with great performances by Ben Affleck, a little boring, but with a strong and good script and good story.
½ January 20, 2017
As thrilling as it is entertaining, the Town is an intelligent and sharp crime drama that Ben Affleck directs with masterful skill.
January 16, 2017
This is Ben Afflek's best movie and thats coming from a guy that love's Argo. But this movie had me on the edge of my seat from start to beginning. This is the best heist film I have ever seen. The acting in this movie is superb and that goes from Ben Affleck, Rebbeca Hall, Jeremy Renner, Blake Lively, Chris Cooper, to Jon Hamm. I can't recommend this movie enough and a perfect thriller directed by Ben Affleck himself.