A Thousand Acres Reviews

• Sep 06, 2020

Is there one character who isn't a walking disaster? Just one? I have enjoyed many of Jane Smiley's books, but I couldn't make it through A Thousand Acres. I was hoping the film would be better, but even a cast of very fine actors wasn't enough to redeem this. I wonder how this would have been received in the Me Too era.

• Jul 11, 2020

Between 2 and 2.5 stars. Too conventional drama.

Between 2 and 2.5 stars. Too conventional drama.

• Jul 07, 2020

The performances can't save the uninteresting film.

The performances can't save the uninteresting film.

• Feb 14, 2018

Adapted from a book written by Jane Smiley, starring Jessica Lange as Ginny of the "Cook" family along with her three sisters, Rose (Michelle Pheiffer) and Caroline (Jennifer Jason Leigh) constant squabble over her father's, Larry (Jason Robarb) acre farm land after he leaves it to them.

• Jun 27, 2016

Another stellar film by Jocelyn Moorehouse. A fantastic A-list cast with mesmerising performances. A formidable depiction of what women and girls endure in everyday life.

• Nov 04, 2014

En flott film,på godt og vondt.

En flott film,på godt og vondt.

• Jun 20, 2013

A poor film. I especially can't get past the fact that the father molested his daughters.

• Feb 07, 2012

This could have been a lot better. A Southern American version of King Lear could have been really engaging as the play has so many strong good characters. It certainly wasn't bad but it just didn't real take advantage of the plot lines & skimmed over the issues.

• May 11, 2011

Not bad, a bit depressing. Colin Firth does an American accent for the first time and it was pretty darn good.

• Feb 28, 2011

well the rottentomatoes critics didn't approve but i thought this had a great cast w/ great courageous acting by lange and pfeiffer... really started to hate the father early in. harsh yet touching and inspirational movie.