Reviews

• Nov 29, 2012

Alot of build up to almost no conclusion, not that anyone is at fault for that, just disappointing how empty it felt within the conclusion.

• Aug 13, 2011

Jerusalem - means 'city of peace' or 'founded in peace'. It has been in recent times one of the most contentious and divided places in the world. An Israeli mother looking for an answer from a Palestinian mother, regarding the death of their daughters - both feel the same as mothers, yet unable to agree with each other as two people who occupy the same land and have been unable to live peacefully together.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Oct 13, 2010

"To Die in Jerusalem" is a heartbreaking documentary that starts with a suicide bombing in a supermarket in Jerusalem. What sets this incident apart is the similarities between Ayat al-Akhras, the murderer(the movie reminds me why I hate the term martyr so much), and Rachel Levy, the victim, who were both 17 and bore a striking resemblance to each other. But that's where the similarities end as each was taught conflicting narratives about what is and what should be Israel and Palestine. In an attempt to understand some of the thinking behind this heinous act, Rachel's mother wants to talk to Ayat's mother. And there is a lot of talking here but very little listening with so little physical distance to cover but so much emotional terrain. Much of that concerns the resistance that some Palestinians feel they must wage against Israel but surely there has to be a better way than violence.(For example, in no way does non-violent protest have to be passive.) That just leads to a siege mentality on the other side of the fence as the cycle repeats as nobody can be allowed to forget every grievance but not who started the conflict in the first place.

• Sep 21, 2010

This is not a particularly good documentary, to be honest. It's too much contrived. I mean, especially on the part of the Israeli girl's mother. Considering the context of the story, the aftermath of a suicidal bombing that killed two 17-year old girls, one Palestinian and the other Israel, one bomber and the other her victim, it is sad that the documentary has some elements of the sentimental platitude that we see a lot on the screen. It is nevertheless an interesting documentary that challenge our understanding of occupation and peace, resistance and terrorism. The documentary can evoke pretty strong feelings as well. I myself was deeply disturbed by the Israeli mother's unsympathetic and unapologetic narrow view towards the end of the story and felt for the Palestinian mother, whose profound sorrow and cool realization of the bleak reality will shake anyone who has a mind and a heart.

• Apr 05, 2010

It seems this move has had a strong positive influence on many people. I liked it and despite editing that can seem misleading and little background story, the doc. accomplishes a lot.

• Apr 05, 2009

I've seen this at the International Documentary Film Event 2009, Stockholm, Sweden. It's a well-structured documentary as it puts you in a semi-neutral spot - still transparent and objective, but also very emotional and somehow biased. Watched it and you'll rub your hands both in anger and frustration.

• Mar 07, 2009

Skvelý dokument! Odporúčam.

Skvelý dokument! Odporúčam.

• Oct 18, 2008

my friend sabrina promised me that she would sit down and really break the conflict down for me, but she hasnt yet. that being said, i was very much able to understand two sides of this personalized story from watching this documentary.

• Sep 25, 2008

this is a sad movie......u think u think u have problems well think again.....this world needs peace all around......so sad....

• Sep 24, 2008

Having Jewish friends, I already understood the jist of this documentary. I wish anger over the past could be put to rest to stop the bloodshed.