To Sleep With Anger Reviews

• Mar 05, 2019

One of Danny Glover's best films as a drifter whose presence seems to expose the hearts of the people in the household as tensions arise between brothers, siblings, and parents, and culture change.

• Feb 27, 2019

Burnett provides an oddly calm tone to the whole thing, making the darker parts more ambiguous which works but there's also somewhat of a filter around the characters as if it needed to be more accessible for audiences, leaving a lot more to be explored by its conclusion. Still, seeing the chemistry of some of the performances in here really makes it stand out, especially for the cultural implications throughout.

• Feb 18, 2019

On its surface, Charles Burnett's To Sleep with Anger is a spuriously-written drama about an enticing yet devilish man (Danny Glover) with increasingly menacing undertones that impact an African-American family with Southern roots living in South Central. At closer look, Burnett's cult classic is a subtly prescient dramatic exploration of the existential crisis between the traditions of the past and the inevitability of modernity. More importantly, To Sleep with Anger weighs the impact of the cost/benefits of this divide on African-American life, family and culture.

• Aug 13, 2015

Very good movie & all star cast.

Very good movie & all star cast.

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 26, 2012

Didn't do it for me. I don't blame Glover who has been marvellous in other films. It's hard to blame Burnett either after the wonderful work that he did with Killer of Sheep. So how does this go off the rails?

• Apr 27, 2012

Charles Burnett's film, about ignorance and rancor and a visitor (Danny Glover) who may or may not be the devil tearing apart an Africa-American family, is one of the most truthful and poetic portraits of a family ever put on the big screen. An absolute masterpiece.

• Mar 15, 2012

Very good movie relaying the dynamics of a family & how each personality contributes to the obvious drama

• Aug 14, 2011

This is my first foray into the cinema of Charles Burnett. In this one, an average middle-class African-American family gets paid a visit by an old friend who then proceeds to sow seeds of discontent among them. It takes a while to get into it but the film is neverthless extremely well-made and very well acted by an impressive ensemble of actors headed by Danny Glover, who gives one of his more interesting performances of his career. I'm guessing this is a very far cry from Tyler Perry movies.

• Sep 17, 2010

A slow-burn drama exploring the impact that an unexpected, insidious houseguest has on a family. Danny Glover's devilish performance is wonderful, but to single him out is a disservice to the rest of the cast, all of whom are impressive. I enjoy Mary Alice in pretty much anything, even those godawful Matrix sequels. The writing is beautiful, never overplaying its hand and giving the actors some very well-drawn characters to work with. I wasn't exactly blown away by the film, but I really enjoyed it.

• Mar 20, 2009

One of the most interesting movies that I have seen. I saw it years ago and rate it as one of my favorite movies. It is a bit complex, but the performance of Danny Glover was outstanding.