Top Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Gun Reviews

March 23, 2017
This is one of those movies the audience loves but critics are too dumb to figure out it's a good movie. Great performances.
½ March 19, 2017
(4.5/5) I'd call it a serious guilty pleasure film, but that would be dishonest; there's nothing guilty about this. Insanely quotable, beautiful cinematography both on the ground and in the air, and some of the most memorable performances I've ever seen. If I had to make a list of my favorite films ever, Top Gun would easily crack the Top 15.
March 18, 2017
I feel The need, the need for speed!
February 13, 2017
Saw it for the first time in 2016. I can see why it's considered a classic since it has some very memorable characters and action shots. The plot is serviceable although both the plot and characters are a little cliched and one-dimensional. I'm guessing this was a very big date movie since it had a lot of action and machismo for the men, while there were good looking actors and a forbidden romance for the women.
½ February 10, 2017
This movie is so cliched and so over the top it's hard not to have fun and enjoy yourself while watching it.
February 5, 2017
Top Gun is truly one of the greatest movies. It may be cheesy and not logically or physically correct at all times, but it is definitely amazing. It is one of the coolest movies to ever be made, it's entertaining, always exciting. There is not one part of the movie that is boring. There are many people that have not seen Top Gun and that is a disgrace to the United States. It is a movie that has to be everybody's favorite movie. It has suspense, excitement, and nerve racking. The air combat in this movie is like nothing else, it's so much drama and just so amazing and cool. Lieutenant Pete is short for "Maverick" he was a naval navigator. In the beginning one of the events that had happened was when Maverick and his wingman. They had flew upside down about 18 inches above a Russian-built. Maverick and his wingman had snaps pictures with a Polaroid pictures of the enemy pilot. When the best graduate from each class at the school is known as "Top Gun." And the reason for that is because of proud and like an awareness because you know so much knowledge and can fly. Throughout the movie, Maverick is being reminded by his late father's history. Maverick's father was a fighter pilot, Maverick's father was known for not following the rules. Because maverick's father was so rebellious it's the fault for his own death. Because of that it had always reminded him and worried him in the back of his mind. Later in the movie there was this woman who was of his female instructors. Maverick had been flirting he had met her by singing to her in a bar. Charlie, tries to help him by comforting him and cheering him up Charlie also tried help make understanding of her policy of not dating students. But both him and her knew the obvious she love affair with him. At the same time, Maverick and Goose continue to push forward to revive the Top Gun and get an inch closer to the trophy. Then more towards the end of the movie Maverick and Goose's plane goes through another aircrafts jet way which would've help it clean. However that isn't what happen it had which induces a flat spin sending them out to sea. Which had been scary for them both, they thought that it was the end for them both. When they had crashed into the sea they had gotten help and tried to save Goose but he had died and Maverick holds himself responsible. Maverick continues to blame himself for Goose's death and his anxiety keeps him from flying. It's a painful experience and hold him feeling guilty. This is the most amazing and coolest movie of all time, it has everything to make someone happy. This movie is unbelievable and just so amazing. It is the single most greatest movie, EVER.
½ February 5, 2017
Aika sivistää jälkikasvua tällä klassikkoleffalla. Itse olin 14v. kun tämä oli kuuminta hottia. Ja yllättävän hyvin oli kestänyt aikaa, vieläkin ihan kuumaa hottia: jännitystä, vauhtia, vaarallisia tilanteita, romantiikkaa, surua, salskeita nuoria miehiä...
January 12, 2017
good
I prefer top cat
½ December 10, 2016
Well it's taken 30 years, but I've now been forced to watch this, as apparently it was a sin not to have seen it by now. Probably an even bigger sin that I've hardly seen any of Tom Cruise's movies I'm guessing?! Nothing against him, but they often strike me as being rather plain, middle of he road type stories which I can take or leave. Given that I had at least heard of this, I'm guessing it was going to be one of his better ones, and it was certainly passable - a hot shot pilot and his partner in crime training to be the best of the best as they glide through the training regimes with flying colours. It's unbelievably cheesy to say the least, what with the outfits, the soundtrack, and the banter amongst all the rookies - it's got an 80's stamp all over it. It's highly predictable but what 80's film isn't, so when tragedy strikes, it's not so much emotional, than corny, but this just wouldn't be complete without its high's and its lows. It's got a real Alpha male vibe to it, littered with arrogant characters, sexual tension and plenty of flight time. It's occasionally difficult to track who's who in the fast paced stunts as the helmets mask the faces, but other than Maverick, Goose, and Iceman, all the other characters are largely forgettable anyway. It's certainly a different type of genre to what I'm used to seeing, and admittedly it was very watchable. I'm certainly glad I'm over my top gun hoodoo, but it's not screaming at me to watch it again anytime soon, not even for my wingman!
½ December 4, 2016
So, this film choice happened as my friend was very surprised that I hadn't seen such a classic. This film has recently had it's 30 years anniversary and still remains quite current...I mean, even I've heard of it!!
Top Gun contains abit of action, love, sadness and triumph. Pete Mitchell aka 'Maverick' played by Tom Cruise as a young cocky/daredevil Navy pilot aiming to be the best of the best. He is the main man in this film. For me, 'Maverick' does become likeable.
There are a handful of known actors. Some of the flying scenes lasted slightly too long for me but as I whole I enjoyed the film.
Unsure if I'll be rushing out to buy a pair of aviators - young Tom Cruise carried the look well.
All in all - a good film, easy viewing for a Saturday evening and a great soundtrack
December 2, 2016
This is just a fantastic, entertaining movie about fighter pilots and their competitive school in California nicknamed 'Top Gun.' Tom cruise is at his finest and there's a kind of breezy, macho confidence to everything about this film, from Tony Scott's amber, foggy shots to Val Kilmer's cockiness. It's a pop masterpiece.
November 28, 2016
This is an excellent movie it's a travesty A TRAVESTY that the critics haven not liken this movie to the extent it should be. Maverick OOooeeeeee is he juicy. He is just spicy ohlalaaaaaaa. The plot impeccable IMFUCKINGPECCABLE. That volleyball seen is without the best part of the movie fight me. The only problem is that there is no penile penetration but other than that flawless movie.
November 27, 2016
You can't get any more 80's than Top Gun. Still don't get Kelly McGillis though. Her choppers are just awful.
November 24, 2016
This is rubbish. Don't see why it is so highly thought of as a classic. It's boring as hell. Really dull and bad acting for most actors. Plus it's really cheesy and gay
October 19, 2016
My favorite movie besides DEADPOOL
October 3, 2016
Logical action sequences, good sense of humor and chemistry between all involved elevate it to a pretty good movie. It could have used more mini-plots and a more believable love story, but for the most part its consistently well-made.
September 15, 2016
Great early Tony Scott movie, beautiful cinematography- indoors and out- but when Cruise and McGillis are talking to each other, I'm seriously thinking to myself "What the hell are they talking about?" The film could've used more Val Kilmer and less Anthony Edwards.
September 13, 2016
A nice coming of age/buddy cop style movie that's also good at showing all aspects of what being in the army really does to a person. A very good fun movie to watch.
September 9, 2016
A fighter pilot in training falls in love with his instructor in this mild action romance.
½ September 7, 2016
Now realizing while it took so long for me to watch