Top Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Gun Reviews

October 19, 2016
My favorite movie besides DEADPOOL
October 3, 2016
Logical action sequences, good sense of humor and chemistry between all involved elevate it to a pretty good movie. It could have used more mini-plots and a more believable love story, but for the most part its consistently well-made.
September 24, 2016
Oh God why are the RT scores 51. This should at least at 95-100%. This is one of the best tom cruise movies of all time in the 80s.
September 15, 2016
Great early Tony Scott movie, beautiful cinematography- indoors and out- but when Cruise and McGillis are talking to each other, I'm seriously thinking to myself "What the hell are they talking about?" The film could've used more Val Kilmer and less Anthony Edwards.
September 13, 2016
A nice coming of age/buddy cop style movie that's also good at showing all aspects of what being in the army really does to a person. A very good fun movie to watch.
September 9, 2016
A fighter pilot in training falls in love with his instructor in this mild action romance.
½ September 7, 2016
Now realizing while it took so long for me to watch
½ August 30, 2016
Top Gun is a classic piece of Americana.

There's the exuberance in this of being young, free, airborne, and a bit wild. This movie is about going for a ride at up to 9 gs (or up to 9 x the force of gravity). On the ground, there's swagger, partying, pursuing love, going to class, discipline, brotherhood, and coping with tragedy when an accident takes your friend.

The soundtrack is catchy. I still get some of those songs stuck in my head once in a while.

Director Tony Scott was all set to finally make a Top Gun sequel just before he tragically died. Looks like now it will never be done. Tony Scott had a style of his own. Hmmm, maybe somebody could try to step up and do it, in his memory? His brother Ridley makes good movies, too, just with a different style.
August 28, 2016
Has everything, soundtrack, stars and fighter jets.
August 18, 2016
So much testosterone I grew an extra pair of balls. Aerial footage was pretty cool.
August 4, 2016
The first half, filled with cheesy, clunky, cringe-worthy dialogue is almost insufferable. Luckily for Cruise and company, by the time the second half rolls around, the cheese-factor is at least tolerable and somewhat comical during "Gun"'s fist-pump inducing finale, turning what could have been a complete dumpster fire into a decent hate-watch flick.
½ July 19, 2016
Incredibly cheesy. :/
½ July 18, 2016
The only way to get through this movie is to mentally assume these men are all gay and this is a look at gay life in the military and not just a cheesy airheaded movie about pretty men being pretty.
July 6, 2016
HOW?!?!?!?! How in the HELL did this movie score less than 100%?! It's a classic and definitely in my Top 5 of all time! Good god people have you all "Lost That Loving Feeling?!" I don't even know if I can exist in a world where Top Gun is rated 55% on the Tomatometer.....that's messed up!
½ July 5, 2016
I think this film is one hundred percent amazing.
June 19, 2016
Top Gun is one of the most beloved 80s movies.

It's also one of the most overrated movies ever made.

Oh wow, someone's dissing Top Gun.

The real dogfight at the end was awesome and Goose's death provided some good thematic material.

But then there was that pointless romance.

No more is needed to be said, it's bad.
May 30, 2016
This movie is adolescent in the best sense of the term.
½ May 30, 2016
There's no doubt this movie is iconic, from the soundtrack to Tom Cruises sun glasses but the actual substance is weak and at times cringe-worthy. The main character 'Maverick' is not likeable at all and actually acts like a cocky little boy for most of the film and the banter between the characters is weak. The airplane scenes are handled well, considering when this was filmed, but there really isn't much to cheer about here.
May 28, 2016
"Top Gun" is a great 80's action movie with fantastic aereial action sequences and surprisingly good characters.