Top Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Gun Reviews

December 23, 2017
Maybe the best movie I've ever seen. The perfect blend of High-flying action, spectular beach volleyball, denim included, and hot teacher student action. 10/10 would recommend
December 17, 2017
'Top Gun' is, without a doubt, not a good film - it's very cheesy and both the characters and the plot lack depth to the utmost degree - but is it entertaining and fun to watch? Well, I'll be damned if it isn't an exciting affair that features some stunningly filmed aerial scenes and a fittingly great soundtrack. At the end of the day, this is one that shouldn't be taken seriously at all and just enjoyed for what it is: an iconic, macho film (perhaps a bit too macho, at times, bordering on homoerotic in tone) with some wickedly cool dogfights. Any further analysis will reveal it to be quite terrible.
½ December 11, 2017
What's there to be said about Top Gun which hasn't been meticulously explained a thousand times over? There are so many reasons why one can build a case against Top Gun, but there are also just as many reasons in defence of the movie. At the end of the day, the film delivers on exactly what it advertises. It's a fast-paced aerial dogfight royale augmented with a story typical to bigger budget action films from the '80s. The fact that the film is manned by Tony Scott at the director's helm is another considerable pro which vastly outweighs the cons in this viewer's eyes. Entertaining and energetic.
December 11, 2017
BEST MOVIE EVER!!!! I WOULD WATCH IT UNTIL MY EYES FALL OUT OF MY HEAD!! #she'slostthatlovinfeelin #ifeeltheneedtheneedforspeed
November 20, 2017
good
I prefer top cat
November 14, 2017
While the soundtrack and aerial scenes are breathtaking its a mostly dull affair with dull characters and a dull plot.
½ November 2, 2017
Top Gun: An overstuffed, all absent minded dull action thriller. While lacking fun and a fast paced plot makes Top Gun a lame forgettable film. With another dull and forgettable preformance by Tom Cruise.
October 31, 2017
Tom Cruise is incredible. Acting is better than his teeth but still. Wow. I feel the need. The need for speed, oowwww
½ October 17, 2017
Top Gun is one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies and is an amazing action/drama film. It's not Tom Cruise's best performance but it still really packs a punch. The aerial moments are electrifying, thrilling and very memorable. It's the highest grossing movie of 1986 and is definitely worth the watch! The aerial moments are as thrilling as any ever put on film and even though it has some sad parts, it still leaves the audience entertained.
September 11, 2017
Cool plane action for its time. Characters were very entertaining. Typical 80s fun
½ September 4, 2017
If you asked me in the past I probably would have told you I saw Top Gun way back when it came out in the 1980s. I have no distinct memory of seeing it in the theater but I know so much about it including famous lines, the general plot synopsis, and even some entire scenes. So did I see it, or is this just some form of cultural osmosis? I still don?t know for sure. It doesn?t help that I saw Hot Shots dozens of times which imitates many elements of this film. Top Gun is a solid story, though. I enjoy the dogfights in the planes, which are shot in a way that makes it all seem like practical effects. I?m not sure whether they used miniatures, or had actual pilots doing some of it, but it all looked great. Also the hyper-competitive relationships between the different pilots is exactly what I would expect from men in that position. Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, and the rest of the guys fit their roles perfectly. Admittedly, Top Gun is overflowing with testosterone, and the one female character is handled horribly. That would be my biggest complaint, that Kelly McGillis seems to be in the film almost exclusively so Tom Cruise has someone to flirt with and eventually sleep with as well. Setting aside the forced romance plot, I like the story of these pilots and I think it is emotional and engaging through most of the runtime. I probably didn?t get hooked on Top Gun at the right time of my life for it to become a nostalgic touchstone, but I still think it is good and worth watching.
August 31, 2017
Seen for the zillionth time - classic
August 20, 2017
Insanely dumb movie about navy pilots at an elite training academy. This is one of those it's so bad that it's good movies. The script for this movie is just awful. But I don't hate it. It has a certain charm. Despite all the gay overtones.
½ August 13, 2017
I like bad movies but this was dumb. And now Berlin is stuck in my head.
July 31, 2017
Very good movie. The people who doesn't ike this movie probably have were low testosteron or maybe their brains haven't developed properly, that is also a possibiity.
½ July 6, 2017
Critics got this one wrong. Great American classic all about jets and dogfights. Loved the action and the personality of Maverick and all the Top Gun students. Fantastic way to open the eyes of young boys dreaming about flying high, sporting Aviators, and serving the countryThe bond between Maverick and Goose is an inseparable one everyone enjoyed. Hopefully the new one surpasses.
June 20, 2017
Take My Breath Awaaayyyy :))
June 19, 2017
best movie of all time
June 16, 2017
This film is an instant classic. Probably my favorite Tom Cruise film. It has a great soundtrack and great cast. It has a great plot and is never boring. It should be a watch for everyone

Rating: 10/10