Top Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Gun Reviews

February 27, 2018
Favourite film. Great acting, engaging story, breathtaking visuals and great direction from tony scott
February 23, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 22, 2018
This is the movie that secured Tom Cruise's status as a superstar because he became really popular after it. It is indeed a great movie and Tom Cruise is beautiful and badass and has beautiful acting. This movie has some emotional moments as well. Also, I think it is better to watch this movie in English language with subtitles rather than dubbed. It's cool that all this flying was real and they really filmed it inside the jets. Tom Cruise reminded me a lot of my brother in this movie. This movie will also teach you that teamwork is important, also arrogance might be cool but should be forgotten when it's time to be responsible, because we're all together at the end of the day. Also makes me think that competition on other hand is really useful because it motivates you to spend more time doing something to become better. Love Tom Cruise's uniform. This movie is mostly positive, but does have some sad moments as well.
½ February 19, 2018
Still one of the best action films around.
½ February 8, 2018
Little or no story. You never care about the characters and Maverick is a very unlikable main character. Statuesque McGillis looks too big next to short Cruise. Halfway through I thought, "This movie sucks." If you like to watch jets fly then it will thrill you. Other then that its a bad movie.
February 8, 2018
Watched it again recently and still enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was definitely at a peak in this movie.
February 7, 2018
(4.0 out of 6)- Flyboy
When we see in our line of work we need to live on the edge when we need the edge to fly. When other places we live on the edge when we love what we do to do it anyplace and anytime. When everyone is on the edge when they receive orders from high places to deliver. When we see others can't help but live on the edge when they can't get enough of us. When living on the edge is who we are and what makes us good that not many can do.
January 27, 2018
Only God knows why it works so well, being so simplistic, corny, and bad written. Wait, I know that too: THE 80S!!!! ps: thank you Kenny Loggins for the amazing Danger Zone.
December 23, 2017
Maybe the best movie I've ever seen. The perfect blend of High-flying action, spectular beach volleyball, denim included, and hot teacher student action. 10/10 would recommend
December 17, 2017
'Top Gun' is, without a doubt, not a good film - it's very cheesy and both the characters and the plot lack depth to the utmost degree - but is it entertaining and fun to watch? Well, I'll be damned if it isn't an exciting affair that features some stunningly filmed aerial scenes and a fittingly great soundtrack. At the end of the day, this is one that shouldn't be taken seriously at all and just enjoyed for what it is: an iconic, macho film (perhaps a bit too macho, at times, bordering on homoerotic in tone) with some wickedly cool dogfights. Any further analysis will reveal it to be quite terrible.
½ December 11, 2017
What's there to be said about Top Gun which hasn't been meticulously explained a thousand times over? There are so many reasons why one can build a case against Top Gun, but there are also just as many reasons in defence of the movie. At the end of the day, the film delivers on exactly what it advertises. It's a fast-paced aerial dogfight royale augmented with a story typical to bigger budget action films from the '80s. The fact that the film is manned by Tony Scott at the director's helm is another considerable pro which vastly outweighs the cons in this viewer's eyes. Entertaining and energetic.
December 11, 2017
BEST MOVIE EVER!!!! I WOULD WATCH IT UNTIL MY EYES FALL OUT OF MY HEAD!! #she'slostthatlovinfeelin #ifeeltheneedtheneedforspeed
November 20, 2017
good
I prefer top cat
November 14, 2017
While the soundtrack and aerial scenes are breathtaking its a mostly dull affair with dull characters and a dull plot.
½ November 2, 2017
Top Gun: An overstuffed, all absent minded dull action thriller. While lacking fun and a fast paced plot makes Top Gun a lame forgettable film. With another dull and forgettable preformance by Tom Cruise.
October 31, 2017
Tom Cruise is incredible. Acting is better than his teeth but still. Wow. I feel the need. The need for speed, oowwww
½ October 17, 2017
Top Gun is one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies and is an amazing action/drama film. It's not Tom Cruise's best performance but it still really packs a punch. The aerial moments are electrifying, thrilling and very memorable. It's the highest grossing movie of 1986 and is definitely worth the watch! The aerial moments are as thrilling as any ever put on film and even though it has some sad parts, it still leaves the audience entertained.
September 11, 2017
Cool plane action for its time. Characters were very entertaining. Typical 80s fun
½ September 4, 2017
If you asked me in the past I probably would have told you I saw Top Gun way back when it came out in the 1980s. I have no distinct memory of seeing it in the theater but I know so much about it including famous lines, the general plot synopsis, and even some entire scenes. So did I see it, or is this just some form of cultural osmosis? I still don?t know for sure. It doesn?t help that I saw Hot Shots dozens of times which imitates many elements of this film. Top Gun is a solid story, though. I enjoy the dogfights in the planes, which are shot in a way that makes it all seem like practical effects. I?m not sure whether they used miniatures, or had actual pilots doing some of it, but it all looked great. Also the hyper-competitive relationships between the different pilots is exactly what I would expect from men in that position. Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer, and the rest of the guys fit their roles perfectly. Admittedly, Top Gun is overflowing with testosterone, and the one female character is handled horribly. That would be my biggest complaint, that Kelly McGillis seems to be in the film almost exclusively so Tom Cruise has someone to flirt with and eventually sleep with as well. Setting aside the forced romance plot, I like the story of these pilots and I think it is emotional and engaging through most of the runtime. I probably didn?t get hooked on Top Gun at the right time of my life for it to become a nostalgic touchstone, but I still think it is good and worth watching.
August 31, 2017
Seen for the zillionth time - classic