Top Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Top Gun Reviews

½ July 19, 2016
Incredibly cheesy. :/
½ July 18, 2016
The only way to get through this movie is to mentally assume these men are all gay and this is a look at gay life in the military and not just a cheesy airheaded movie about pretty men being pretty.
July 6, 2016
HOW?!?!?!?! How in the HELL did this movie score less than 100%?! It's a classic and definitely in my Top 5 of all time! Good god people have you all "Lost That Loving Feeling?!" I don't even know if I can exist in a world where Top Gun is rated 55% on the Tomatometer.....that's messed up!
½ July 5, 2016
I think this film is one hundred percent amazing.
June 19, 2016
Top Gun is one of the most beloved 80s movies.

It's also one of the most overrated movies ever made.

Oh wow, someone's dissing Top Gun.

The real dogfight at the end was awesome and Goose's death provided some good thematic material.

But then there was that pointless romance.

Uggggg.

No more is needed to be said, it's bad.
May 30, 2016
This movie is adolescent in the best sense of the term.
½ May 30, 2016
There's no doubt this movie is iconic, from the soundtrack to Tom Cruises sun glasses but the actual substance is weak and at times cringe-worthy. The main character 'Maverick' is not likeable at all and actually acts like a cocky little boy for most of the film and the banter between the characters is weak. The airplane scenes are handled well, considering when this was filmed, but there really isn't much to cheer about here.
May 28, 2016
"Top Gun" is a great 80's action movie with fantastic aereial action sequences and surprisingly good characters.
May 22, 2016
This is a hell of a movie. Has some great actors that's in this one (i.e. Anthony Edwards, Val Kilmer, Michael Ironsides and Tom Skerritt to name a few), great soundtrack
May 2, 2016
Cheesy, over-the-top, shameless 80s jams, and aereial action that has never quite looked the same since.
April 13, 2016
How can you not like this classic?
April 10, 2016
The dialogue in this movie is (surprisingly) as on point as Tom Cruise's hotshot looks and demeanor. First time seeing this classic. It will make my next trip to Kansas City BBQ mean more than getting to eat burnt ends this side of the US.
April 2, 2016
Iconic, yes. But it's the aerial footage that makes the film. Otherwise this movie's a Gen X juvenile fantasy, complete with cheesy guitar solos.
March 29, 2016
This movie is awesome. A classic I can watch over and over.
½ March 28, 2016
Critics believe this movie has little to offer for non-adolescent viewers. I disagree. It has little to offer for kids and to that I give a big who cares. It had fantastic camera work with the planes, a story about a guy you thought you could be. That guy wasn't always Maverick. It felt like everybody could connect with somebody's personality in that movie and the characters felt incredibly accessible, something not often seen these days. Perhaps that's why it boosted the Navy recruitment so much. The soundtrack is catchy. You'll want to high five like they do in the volleyball scene. It's just a good time.
March 21, 2016
oh my goodness, its so 80s.
½ March 7, 2016
In seeing this for the first time in 2016, I thought it would be difficult for the movie to connect with me as opposed to if I'd seen it decades ago. That, however, didn't turn out to be an issue. My issue is this: When you boil it down, the "action" scenes are just...{picture of a guy in a plane talking}, camera cuts to {other guy in another plane talking}, then cuts back to the first guy. It makes the dialog feel disconnected with the action. I am also surprised that a very important plot point regarding Goose was never spoiled for me.
February 25, 2016
We have a legend of a film here and a killer soundtrack, Perfect film, Great action scenes, The film that put Tom Cruise on the map and my all time favorite film.
½ February 22, 2016
Top Gun is an action film, directed by Tony Scott, and stars Tom Cruise, Kelly McGillis, and Val Kilmer in a story that's about some of the pilot students being very good, and they go to Top Gun to become the best so that they go up against people. I hear so much about Top Gun in high school that I recorded it just so I see why people loved it so much, and while I can sort of see why, but I think it'll probably not hold up as much as they think it was. The acting is fine in this, nothing really special going on with this film. The flying scenes are probably the best part of the film as it looks really entertaining to watch planes go around each other and start battling. The characters are very generic and I found them very forgettable honestly. The romance is fine also, although I don't necessarily buy the chemistry for Tom Cruise and his love interest who was honestly there just to be a love interest for him. There are a lot of cheesy moments in this movie, and there are some fun stuff in there that I was entertained in this. The best part of the film actually, is the soundtrack by Harold Faltermeyer with two memorable songs that I'll remember for a long time which are Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins, and Take My Breath Away by Berlin. Overall, Too Gun is a decent film, but I wouldn't go out and talk about this a lot though, and it's overrated in my opinion.
½ February 19, 2016
Amazing cast, and plot. Beautiful performance and bromance.