Trucker Reviews

Todd S Super Reviewer
    Apr 10, 2020

Diane Ford (Michelle Monaghan) lives a solitary life. She loves her job as big rig driver, alcohol, and one night stands with strangers. Her life is exactly how she wants it to be, until he ex gets sick and she's forced to take in her 12 year old son, Peter (Jimmy Bennett), a son she never wanted, and has no idea what to do with. Trucker comes across as an edgy lifetime movie, with the sick ex-husband, the angry woman with the scarred past, and the child who is going to force her to change. Unfortunately, I don't like Lifetime movies, because they are so predictable and one-sided. That is exactly what Trucker is aside from the indiscriminate sex and cursing. I found almost nothing interesting about this film, except for the chemistry between mother and son. Peter is the best part of the film, because he's this weird looking kid in heavy metal shirts, calling his mother out on all of her bull. The things he says to her are pretty shocking and quite funny, and that's the only thing I can really say I enjoyed about this movie. It's clear that the writers were going for this dark, mid-western dramatic thing, that I like to call modern dark noir, (as seen in films like Winter's Bone), but they fall well short. Trucker just doesn't have enough substance to compete with films like that and is predictable to a fault. If I were describe this film in one word, it would be boring, and that is never a good thing.

• Mar 31, 2017

Michelle Monaghan plays a truck driver who has no time for a son. But her ex husband dies and she is forced to take care of her son anyway. The two of them hate each other and its a really entertaining story. One of the reasons I love this movie so much is Monaghan. She really convinced me she is a no nonsense get out of my way hard core trucker.

• Nov 22, 2015

Ironically as the film is meant to showcase Michelle Monaghan I was most impressed with Nathan Fillion; the man who made Captain Mal Reynolds, Captain Hammer and Mayor of Mars on Thrilling Adventure Hour takes it down to playing just an average 'Jack of All Trades' and makes him vulnerable and likable and torn between his wife (who we dont see much of) and Monaghan. An admirable little movie marred by predictability.

• Oct 18, 2015

This one flew, or rather, trucked under the radar. A real gem of a film featuring a standout Michelle Monaghan performance.

• Jul 05, 2013

fairly short (~90 minutes), solid performances by Michelle Monaghan & Nathan Fillion, but I was less impressed by the rest of the cast...

• Feb 08, 2013

Great acting all round, somewhat heartbreaking story of some very damaged characters. Enjoyed Nathan Fillion and the boy who playd the "son" was kinda amazing. Benjamin Bratt was a surprise in a supporting role. Made me want to hit the road.03.13

• Jan 23, 2013

Oh Lordy, I cried so much during this film. It's like my generation's Terms of Endearment. I could not get a grip on myself until towards the end. The disconnection of the mother, the fact that she had the ability to leave her baby son. I could not stand the character Diane on one level because she is obviously unbelievably selfish and self-destructive. Yet, on another level, I felt great compassion for her. All mothers whether they admit to it or not, fear being unable to establish meaningful connections with their children. This is the story of a mother who not only did not connect with her child, but abandoned him. Michelle Monaghan's character is a big drinker and uses men to fill her emptiness, which made it even more difficult to watch but at the same time made it even more riveting. As I was watching, I wanted to see myself as different than Diane, but there are self-destructive parts of her every woman struggles to face. Even though I have made much different decisions than Diane, this film made me feel I could not judge the character or her decisions. In my opinion, we are all just a few twists of fate from despair and brokenness though we will do most anything not to acknowledge that. I was shocked to see this is the first film by director James Mottern. I am looking forward to seeing what other movies he has coming up. He obviously directed the pants off Michelle Monaghan (I had never heard of her before this film and when I looked her up saw she had mostly played forgettable supporting roles). I am a big Nathan Fiillion fan and really enjoyed his scenes. I do wish he had had a bigger role. Overall, I highly recommend this film but make sure you have kleenex on hand.

• Jan 05, 2013

Touching drama of coming to terms with unexpected changes.

Touching drama of coming to terms with unexpected changes.

• Oct 18, 2012

Moving, Touching, Heart warming, all descriptions that can be applied to this movie. The acting is really good, some of the delivery Benjamin Bratt brought to the table were very memorable and the rest of the cast as well delivered great performances, I don't understand why the RT score is so low for this film, But I definitely suggest it, although warning, for some of you it may be tear provoking haha.

• Apr 12, 2012

This is one of those movies where not a whole lot happens, to be honest. It's more about the progression from how a character is at the beginning to how they are at the end. Unfortunately, this film doesn't show you enough of what they're like in the beginning for the end to be as emotionally resonant as it should have been. Otherwise, it has some strong acting and powerful moments, amongst a lot of typical independent film components.