The Truman Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truman Show Reviews

½ January 17, 2017
An original idea that came along pretty much in all the right ways, Peter Weir's modern classic preserves itself as an authentic and smartly written comedy-drama, that explores human dependency over entertainment media and the day by day monotony, with an hyper charismatic performance by Jim Carrey in the lead role.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.5/10 - 4.5/5
January 10, 2017
One of the most interestingly potent ideas to ever be presented in film, The Truman Show explores very culturally significant themes as well as creating a world that is ripe with imagination and clever satire led by a heartfelt and naturally funny performance from Jim Carrey.
½ January 7, 2017
A simple, touching movie. Perfect for a rainy day.
½ January 4, 2017
O filme é bem legal e interessante, só não gostei muito do final..
January 3, 2017
a really funny yet thought provoking move that i want all of my friends amd family to watch. Where is this Jim Carey now? Why did he disappear off of planet earth?
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Great phenomenal movie starring Jim Carey. I love, I adore Jim Carey and his performance and how it felt real, and I love his character Truman and that he doesn't know that he is in a dome and that he's the star of his own reality tv show. The idea of taking a baby from when still in the mother's belly and at birth already had cameras all around him and follow him around his entire life until he gets suspicious that something weird is happening to him and the world around him, I just love it. And Truman's triumph in being his own person at the end of the movie, making his own desicion, his choice to stay in reality tv land or be his own person in the real world. And the actor's around him, act the part but that's their job and if they don't then they are out of the tv show. To be , you would think that a corporation would adopt Truman or any child and make him be in a reality show to make the person who adopts the orphan makes all the money and don't giving a lick to the orphan over their entire life. But don't forget about that cliff hanger, I hate when they do cliff hanger s in phenomenal movies, like this one, I hope that this movie gets a sequel because I want to know what happened to Truman and how he survives in the real world.
December 20, 2016
Una comedia bastante entretenida que tiene un trasfondo más serio de lo que creerías.
December 10, 2016
filmes que te faz ver que viver é bom
½ November 30, 2016
Remembering the scenes of this movie will increase the influence of it on you. One of the best.
November 29, 2016
Best interesting movie ever
½ November 17, 2016
So well done. This film is amazing. I love it
November 11, 2016
**** Whilst it may ask you to suspend disbelief on occasion, 'The Truman Show' boasts an enthralling original concept, an excellent performance by Jim Carrey and a narrative that's impossible not to be gripped by.
November 6, 2016
Nueva edición del mito de la caverna. Y varias reflexiones desgajadas del mito. ¿Qué es mejor: una mentira buena o una verdad dura? ¿Somos y conocemos restringidamente lo que nos presentan en frente? ¿Se puede trascender la sociedad en la que se vive, el año, país, etc.? ¿El que busca, encuentra?

Mezcla perfecta de comedia y realismo del agrio. Muy bien Carrey y Harris. La película se reproduce al "borde la nada" (de ser pésima), pero nunca se cae y termina por ser un producto bien terminado que permite al espectador sumergirse en ese mundo hiperbólico. Lleva ineludiblemente a pensar: tal vez, porque uno acepta la realidad que le ofrece la película (lo que dije arriba) y por su exageración incita a cuestionarse.
November 1, 2016
Dieter here.....
The Truman Show was released in 1998 and to this day I sit amazed at how ahead of its time the film was. Prior to the reality craze which seems to have a never expiring life span the Truman Show eloquently and powerfully transcends between our hunger for entertainment and our lack of humanity. Perhaps this will go down as one of Carrey's most powerful performance, at the very least one of his most unforgettable. The fact that Carrey took a pay cut to half of his then normal asking price is a testament to his love and passion for the premise of the film and in his knowing how special the film could truly be. and it's a film that I could watch 500 times without ever feeling disconnected or any lesser of emotion than I did the first go around.
October 30, 2016
One of the more funny aspects to always look at when watching a movie like this is to imagine how unaware audiences back then would see just how much these films would create such a big impact, or large foreshadowing, to our modern society (much like how other forms of literature like Seventh Seal and TV shows like Star Trek gave us concepts, themes and props about moral choices and thinking the larger pictures in very smart and realistic ways). And The Truman Show is one of those films that director Peter Weir and influential writer Andrew Niccol (who would go on to make Gattaca and Lord of War, which if you haven't seen yet I HIGHLY recommend doing so), would pave way into not only reality TV and runaway celebrity culture, but also a message on society built on learning private details on the lives of ordinary people who don't have all that to share. And if you couldn't tell by now, all that means that I HIGHLY enjoyed this film not just from the awe-inspiring message it provided but also in the film's other qualities. A lot ranging from: A tender and very hilarious tone and script that brings the right amount of levity and emotional punch the movie provides on it's message and main character, some great camerawork and shot composition from director Peter Weir, an obviously well made message on modern society from writer Andrew Niccol, a fantastic pace that takes it's time to set the mystery and intrigue for the film, lots of very memorable moments both from it's hilarity and it's serious scenes, great performances from all of it's secondary main cast and of course a very fitting and charismatic performance from Jim Carry that is memorable all together while keeping his over-the-top personality in check compared to films like Dumb & Dumber and Ace Ventura. And honestly despite my rating, I can't think of much that is at fault with the film because of my enjoyment of it overall (which is sometimes rare of me to do), So overall this is a film I'm glad exists that not only balances it's theme with a overall funny tone with Jim Carry but was, for the time it was released, a film for the ages that who would of thought been the center ground on a lot people's, especially me, cynical view on society being obsessed with celebrities like Kim Kardashian, The Real Housewives and Honey Boo Boo, all while watching "Reality TV shows" that are fabricated to make the audience care and watch something not all that real.

Score: 8.5 / 10
½ October 17, 2016
An interesting idea of super reality movie at the expense of someone who is unaware. I don't think this could happen 100% but it is a great little movie that I think is emotionally rewarding.
October 13, 2016
Arguably the best movie of Jim Carrey's career. A great script and concept with the supporting cast that brought the idea to life. Very creative film that is worth the watch. Currently on Netflix. 10/13/2016
½ October 11, 2016