The Truman Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truman Show Reviews

September 4, 2017
A interesting idea that is pulled off very well. Jim Carrey is amazing as always. An idea that might make you think a little bit about reality.
August 28, 2017
Absolutely awesome. Jim Carreys masterpiece. If I don't see ya good afternoon good evening and goodnight.
August 17, 2017
Prescient as a panoptic satire of our omnipresent technocracy, the deeper lesson of "The Truman Show" is not how the ideological fiction of reality can be crafted through our media-as the more popular, less penetrating "Matrix" movies also highlight-but how that picture of reality functions even more subtly to interpolate and indoctrinate the viewer who perceives herself as outside the fiction. While Truman might be the star subject of his world, in the final analysis it is the show's viewers who are subjugated even more, learning the lessons of that reality-good Protestant work ethic, happy monogamous heterosexuality, and so on-without the hope of escape that Truman enjoys (an escape which in fact only confirms the closure and significance of his narrative).
August 13, 2017
It is rare for a concept this original and timely to be executed so nicely, and Carey provides so much life with the greatest performance of his career.
July 22, 2017
Based On The Writings Of Andrew Niccol (Gattaca) Is A Story Well Ahead Of It's Time. This Film Adaptation Is Keep Lite & Airy With Minimal Focus On The Darker Side Of Commercialised Life, Which Now Fills Our Screens With So-Called 'Reality Television'. The Throw-Back To 1950's Nostalgia Mixes Into The Fakeness Of It All..But Ultimately That Fake Factor Also Breeds Little Connection To Any Characters Other Than Carey Himself. I Think The Film 'Ed TV' Explores These Ideas Better.
½ July 16, 2017
91% - The Truman Show is truly a different film that is so fun to watch but at the same time, it has a story that is very relatable to everyone as it shows the reality of the world that we are living in and the types of people we meet.
½ July 16, 2017
The story is timeless. The acting is amazing. The universe of the movie is well put. Amazing job!
July 13, 2017
it's great to watch a peak Jim Carrey's performance without his over the top acting.

ps: the writing and other supporting act were really good too.
July 11, 2017
Jim Carrey is at his best in this beautiful yet funny masterpiece
½ July 5, 2017
If the director were Quentin Tarantino, he would ask the main character to shot a bullet in everyone invloved in this cruel and sick show, including those stupid audience. It is definitely a good movie, but it really makes me furious.
July 2, 2017
We accept the reality of the world with which were presented."
½ June 30, 2017
very well done. pretty funny
½ June 25, 2017
An extremely clever movie starring comedian Jim Carrey that is just a bit more drama than comedy, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. It is thought-provoking and very enjoyable, and probably Jim Carrey's best.
June 24, 2017
These people created the NSA.
June 22, 2017
Best Jim Carrey performance.
May 23, 2017
Entertainingly through provoking due to the excellent performances and direction.
½ May 16, 2017
Kind of a bore but I find the story somewhat interesting.
½ May 7, 2017
A funny, tender, and thought-provoking film full of interesting characters!
April 27, 2017
A True Review of The Truman Show

Film reviews nowadays tend to be extremely superficial, its analysis stemming from the surface rather than analyzing it at a deeper level for the presence of ideologies and politics. Peter Weir's The Truman Show is an excellent example of this as on the surface, it is about the main character, Truman Burbank, played by Jim Carrey, whose entire life is a fašade that is broadcast on live television. However, analyzing it further, it becomes apparent that it is much more than that. The film explores the politics of reality as well as how mass media influences our perception of it and architectures of containment, may it be archaeological, ideological or psychological. Weir achieves this through both the content via the interactions and power relations between the people as well as the form in the way that the film is constructed in terms of camera shots and the presence of visual metaphors.
The Truman Show is a film that revolves around the life of Truman, which is completely scripted, he is surrounded by professional actors in a fake setting for a tv show that is broadcast around the world. This entire concept is portrayed in a negative light, using the creator of the tv show as the antagonist. In doing so, the film attempts to push forth a certain ideology, one with a clear Socratic binary opposition between artificiality and reality. It also sets in a place a hierarchy where artificiality is below reality and portrays reality as something we should fight for and strive towards. This is explicit when Christof, the creator of the show, says "While the world he (Truman) inhabits is, in some respects, counterfeit, there is nothing fake about Truman himself" (0:0:30, Weir). Here, he admits to Truman's world being fake and contrasts it to Truman himself as completely real and describes this as the reason to why the show is so successful. He proposes that society desires something more realistic through television rather than artificial "reality" shows. As this dialogue takes place at the start of the film, it creates the space 'ex nihilo' (out of nowhere) for the film going forward and foreshadows the exploration of the meaning of reality. The film also implies this idea of the contrast between Truman and his world in terms of reality and artificiality by his apt name - "True-Man". This has the unconscious effect of enforcing the idea that Truman represents reality whereas Seahaven represents artificiality. This shows how although everything he is surrounded by is artificial, the life that he leads is very much real. However, the audience is still filled with a feeling of dissatisfaction as it is implied that real life is in contrast to the one that Truman leads. This arises from our unconscious realization and subsequent denial that the life that Truman leads is eerily similar to the lives that we have become accustomed to. This results in an innate feeling of discomfort watching the fašade of a life that Truman leads. The audience in the film also have this feeling however, mass media exploits their unconscious desire to watch Truman's life unravel to employ cynical reason and overcome this feeling of dissatisfaction. This goes to show the extent to which mass media shapes society and the influence that it has over us.
The architectures of containment present in the film also explores the concept of society's repression and emphasizes mass media's control over society. This is achieved by illustrating how Truman is controlled and trapped in Seahaven. The archaeological architecture used here is that of Seahaven being a desolate island, that is separate from the rest of society. However, this is successful in trapping Truman due to its psychological impact via his fear of water that was instilled in him through the staged traumatic incident of his father drowning in front of him during his childhood. This created an unconscious architecture of containment that manifests itself in his conscious fear of water. This idea is also emphasized through the form in which he is portrayed when his fear of water takes over as he is shown through multiple fish-eye lenses in this scene, which forms a visual metaphor of him as a fish stuck in a bowl (0:8:22, Weir). The fish eye-lens is also used in other scenes to emphasize his entrapment in this society. The film also shows that although Truman is trapped, he could escape if he wished to, which is illustrated through him finally escaping at the end. However, what prevents him from escaping for the majority of the film is his fear of the 'Big Other' - a repressive force that establishes control over people by exploiting their unconscious to set in place a symbolic order (iek). The irony in this situation is that there is no such thing. The 'Big Other' is a figment of his own unconscious created to establish order in fear of the alternative - chaos. This directly applies to us as well as we tend to create and give power to the 'Big Other' by fearing it and this, in turn represses us into the constraints of society. In this sense, Truman acts as an effective allegory for our current society as it is he himself who takes away his freedom and in doing so, gives power to the 'Big Other'. Through the film, he also escapes his entrapment by overcoming his fear of the 'Big Other' and in doing so, takes away its power. This provides a feeling of contentment for the audience watching the film as they feel like they too have escaped this entrapment. However, what happens here is due to this feeling, the 'Big Other' in society is in fact empowered as this reduces the desire of the audience to escape their entrapment and further solidifies it instead.
Through its exploration of the politics of reality and containment, The Truman Show is shown to be a political film that's successful in its purpose as it emphasizes the control of the 'Big Other' over society. It also shows how blurred the line between reality and artificiality through our unconscious denial of the parallels between Truman's life and ours. This, in turn, forces us to ask ourselves the ultimate question - are the lives that we lead 'real'?
April 27, 2017