The Truman Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truman Show Reviews

½ April 19, 2018
a man's life which is, unknown to him, a 24/7 reality tv show. nowhere near as good as it sounds. the situation is unrealistic and the actual movie can't seem to make up its mind whether it's a drama or comedy. jim carrey is frustratingly dumb for the majority of the movie. ed harris gives it his best but the script can't cover the plotholes and the overall dullness and outdated look of this movie. bad, inconsistent and not clever at all.
April 15, 2018
"The Truman Show" is not what you expected from Jim Carrey. But because of his fantastic performance and facial expressions, "The Truman Show" posses a man who can't ever be unloved.
March 26, 2018
A wonderful movie with the great Jim Carrey and plenty of interesting characters to keep this movie going! What an unusual and entertaining film! Jim Carrey has always been my favorite actor!
March 15, 2018
An interesting, exciting film I've ever seen, simple but nice love story.
February 18, 2018
The Truman Show, released in 1998 is the story about an insurance adjuster who starts discovering that his life and the people in it may not be as they seem and he subsequently begins to unravel. The movie made me feel incredibly compelled. Throughout the whole film, I found myself paying more and more attention to the details - watching the ways in which they created this world, as well as to how Truman was reacting to the environment he was in. I thought that it was an incredibly well done film that was so well thought out. It was one of those films where you could tell that every single piece and detail was intentional. The acting, especially that of Jim Carrey's was phenomenal. I enjoyed the scene in the beginning of the film where he was about to get on the ferry, but was unable to do so. His physicalization of not being able to get on the boat and showing how that affected him gave us so much insight into his character and where he was coming from. The story and the writing did such a great job setting up moments of conflict and heightening the tension. I particularly enjoyed when Truman is setting out to sea and Christof deliberately keeps making the weather worse, in an effort to deter Truman. In terms of directing, I thought that the film was very well executed. The shots chosen were so interesting and added to the intrigue of the story, and how this made-up world operates. I particularly enjoyed shots such as the one that is set in Truman's dashboard that follows him while he drives. I also enjoy the shot that looks like it is set up within a billboard outside of Truman's work. It is these aspects that make us feel that we are a part of Truman's world and allow us to be more invested in the film. As far as the genre is concerned, I feel that this film would classify as a drama. Commercially, I feel that this movie would likely appeal more to people within the 20-30's age range. This film came out at a time when reality television was new and up and coming, so I feel that at the time it was something that a lot of individuals would feel intrigued by. It displays a new world and environment that is unbeknownst to us.
February 12, 2018
This is not like any ordinary movie, this particular film emphasizes the beauty of the film through Jim Carrey's spectacular performance. The Truman Show is perfect in every way!
½ February 12, 2018
Scary, funny, intriguing. But also (unlike this) real.
February 10, 2018
interesting story idea
January 17, 2018
Jim Carrey gives a magnificent performance and the movie is still timeless.
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.0

Simplemente sorprendente, un magnífico trabajo de Peter Weir que nos lleva a una historia original, divertida, con una magnífica trama acompañada de un excelente Jim Carrey, y una magnífica actuación de Ed Harris, que te hará cuestionar tu realidad por un buen tiempo.
½ December 2, 2017
A story concept ahead of its time. This movie probably inspired the wave of reality TV shows that have inundated us since then.

Carrey plays a dramatic character first with flickers of comedic Carrey second. I was pleasantly surprised by Carrey gravitas, probably even more for audiences when it first came out.

The set design and costumes are picturesque of a tube tv commercial which adds a layer of ironic suspicion to the whole storyline. They do outvertly advertise in the show which is a cleaver add on.
This movie teeters on mystery/thriller which is unexpected. This mystery keeps the audience engaged and tight next to Carrey as he unravels it.

A must watch for Carrey fans.
November 27, 2017
Clever movie. Great idea and well put together. Great acting and ideas. Carrey was good.
½ November 24, 2017
Probably Carrey's greatest performance. The ending leaves you to come to your own conclusions.
October 19, 2017
One of my most beloved movies of all time.
October 12, 2017
one of the best movie ever
½ October 12, 2017
Great movie, jim carrey gives us one of the best performances in his career, completely recomendable
½ October 11, 2017
An incredible film. Despite some flaws in the story (why would the director do X instead of Y), the idea behind it is quite thought thought-provoking. The film even touches on the notion of free will in the midst of a total institution.
½ October 10, 2017
Finally got to see this. As noted many times by many reviewers, this is basically a what-if scenario, extremely well played out, of a man's discovery that his entire life in a storybook coastal village has been the focus of a 24 hour "womb to tomb" television channel. The film is interestingly well balanced in terms of humour, bizarreness, drama & seriousness. It also consists of many themes, among them, the all-pervasiveness of the celebrity culture and its concomitant absence of privacy for the affected celebrity - and especially, arguably the over-arching theme of individual responsibility and freedom and its attendant risks versus the tried and true and their attendant security and lack of freedom and risk. Not only excellent acting, but also a well crafted script. Not merely entertainment, but also thought provoking and fodder for interesting conversations about significant topics.
October 9, 2017
Good Morning, and In Case I Don't See Ya, Good Afternoon, Good Evening and Goodnight! (The Truman Show 1998)
Review:
"The world, the place you live in, is the sick place. Seahaven is the way the world should be". Combining cinematic masterminds behind films such as Dead Poets Society and GATTACA, Peter Weir and Andrew Niccol have managed to create one of the most thought provoking yet entertaining films to date. The Truman Show follows the life of Truman Burbank (Jim Carrey), a normal man living in the seemingly normal New England town of Seahaven. But unbeknownst to Truman, Seahaven is the world's largest reality TV set, filming 24 hours a day to an audience of billions. Being the first human legally adopted by a corporation, Truman has never known anything but the grotesquely perfect world of Seahaven, and is prevented from ever leaving it. The show director, Christof (Ed Harris) captivates the "mad-creative type" perfectly, controlling everything about Truman, from the people that appear (or disappear) in his life, to the sun that rises in the sky each morning.
Truman's desire to escape his reality is driven by his wish to find his long-lost love, Sylvia (Natascha McElhone) that he met in college. After an exciting school dance, the two ran away together to a beach for some privacy. It was then that Sylvia tried to tell Truman that the world he is living in is in fact not real and that she was an actor. Everything, from the sand on the beach to the ever-expanding ocean is all artificial. But before she can reveal too much, Christof sends her "dad", to drive down the beach and grab Sylvia, telling Truman that they are going to Fiji and never coming back.
Since his night with Sylvia, Truman becomes more cognizant of the world he lives in. The once pristine and happy Seahaven is now a cheerful prison, and Jim Carrey plays a very great prisoner. His quirkiness lightens the tone of what's really happening; a man is stuck in the world's largest TV set and everyone is in on it except him.
While Jim Carrey does an outstanding job playing Truman, his wife in the movie, Meryl (Laura Linney), plays the part of the "50's housewife" just right, wanting a quiet life in the suburbs with children. Another character, Noah Emmerich, who plays Truman's best friend, successfully creates this closeness dynamic with Truman that looks almost surreal. But after Truman asks if Emmerich is lying to him about the world, Emmerich manages to capture this look in his eyes that says, "I want to tell you the truth but Christof will kill me".
After his decision to escape by sea, Christof is forced to play is final card to keep Truman in Seahaven. He unleashes a chaotic storm knocking Truman off his boat, into the water. But Truman's persistence keeps Christof from going further and killing him on live TV. The dramatic music suddenly falls silent and as Truman reaches the horizon, he crashes through the TV set (literally breaking through the fourth wall). The build up to Truman's escape and his final parting of his world makes this movie always enjoyable to watch and watch again.
Aside from the plot, Weir's clever use of camera angles makes the film even more entertaining. Because of the nature of the movie, the viewer sees the world through the "5000" secret cameras hidden in places like trees or in car mirrors. It creates that quality of intimacy that comes along with prying into someone's life that ordinary camera angles just could not achieve. Another aspect to the show is its use of music during Truman's life. The music ranges from cheerful to gloomy, and is played live in the show, depending on the atmosphere Christof is trying to create. If it were not for the music and the camera angles, the Truman show would not be the most watched show in history.
It may be considered a feel-good family movie, there is a deeper meaning behind the film. The Truman show was created at a time when reality TV and social media began to consume people's lives. The idea that every feeling, thought and reaction of Truman's was real, all the while living in an artificial world only adds to the irony of it being considered a "reality TV show". The progression of Truman's journey to reality is a guide for the viewers to do the same, yet after Truman's escape, the transmission ends leaving the dedicated viewers saying, "what else is on TV?" only adding to the absurdity of the movie.
Although Jim Carrey is generally known for his goofy and sometimes child-like humor, the balance between comedy and seriousness in this movie is impeccable. Due to its uniqueness and depth, this movie deserves 4 stars, always leaving the viewer wanting another episode of the Truman show.
½ October 7, 2017
An instant classic. A movie which featured Jim Carey at his prime and great casting throughout.