The Truman Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truman Show Reviews

½ November 30, 2016
Remembering the scenes of this movie will increase the influence of it on you. One of the best.
November 29, 2016
Best interesting movie ever
½ November 17, 2016
So well done. This film is amazing. I love it
November 11, 2016
**** Whilst it may ask you to suspend disbelief on occasion, 'The Truman Show' boasts an enthralling original concept, an excellent performance by Jim Carrey and a narrative that's impossible not to be gripped by.
November 6, 2016
Nueva edición del mito de la caverna. Y varias reflexiones desgajadas del mito. ¿Qué es mejor: una mentira buena o una verdad dura? ¿Somos y conocemos restringidamente lo que nos presentan en frente? ¿Se puede trascender la sociedad en la que se vive, el año, país, etc.? ¿El que busca, encuentra?

Mezcla perfecta de comedia y realismo del agrio. Muy bien Carrey y Harris. La película se reproduce al "borde la nada" (de ser pésima), pero nunca se cae y termina por ser un producto bien terminado que permite al espectador sumergirse en ese mundo hiperbólico. Lleva ineludiblemente a pensar: tal vez, porque uno acepta la realidad que le ofrece la película (lo que dije arriba) y por su exageración incita a cuestionarse.
November 1, 2016
Dieter here.....
The Truman Show was released in 1998 and to this day I sit amazed at how ahead of its time the film was. Prior to the reality craze which seems to have a never expiring life span the Truman Show eloquently and powerfully transcends between our hunger for entertainment and our lack of humanity. Perhaps this will go down as one of Carrey's most powerful performance, at the very least one of his most unforgettable. The fact that Carrey took a pay cut to half of his then normal asking price is a testament to his love and passion for the premise of the film and in his knowing how special the film could truly be. and it's a film that I could watch 500 times without ever feeling disconnected or any lesser of emotion than I did the first go around.
October 30, 2016
One of the more funny aspects to always look at when watching a movie like this is to imagine how unaware audiences back then would see just how much these films would create such a big impact, or large foreshadowing, to our modern society (much like how other forms of literature like Seventh Seal and TV shows like Star Trek gave us concepts, themes and props about moral choices and thinking the larger pictures in very smart and realistic ways). And The Truman Show is one of those films that director Peter Weir and influential writer Andrew Niccol (who would go on to make Gattaca and Lord of War, which if you haven't seen yet I HIGHLY recommend doing so), would pave way into not only reality TV and runaway celebrity culture, but also a message on society built on learning private details on the lives of ordinary people who don't have all that to share. And if you couldn't tell by now, all that means that I HIGHLY enjoyed this film not just from the awe-inspiring message it provided but also in the film's other qualities. A lot ranging from: A tender and very hilarious tone and script that brings the right amount of levity and emotional punch the movie provides on it's message and main character, some great camerawork and shot composition from director Peter Weir, an obviously well made message on modern society from writer Andrew Niccol, a fantastic pace that takes it's time to set the mystery and intrigue for the film, lots of very memorable moments both from it's hilarity and it's serious scenes, great performances from all of it's secondary main cast and of course a very fitting and charismatic performance from Jim Carry that is memorable all together while keeping his over-the-top personality in check compared to films like Dumb & Dumber and Ace Ventura. And honestly despite my rating, I can't think of much that is at fault with the film because of my enjoyment of it overall (which is sometimes rare of me to do), So overall this is a film I'm glad exists that not only balances it's theme with a overall funny tone with Jim Carry but was, for the time it was released, a film for the ages that who would of thought been the center ground on a lot people's, especially me, cynical view on society being obsessed with celebrities like Kim Kardashian, The Real Housewives and Honey Boo Boo, all while watching "Reality TV shows" that are fabricated to make the audience care and watch something not all that real.

Score: 8.5 / 10
½ October 17, 2016
An interesting idea of super reality movie at the expense of someone who is unaware. I don't think this could happen 100% but it is a great little movie that I think is emotionally rewarding.
October 13, 2016
Arguably the best movie of Jim Carrey's career. A great script and concept with the supporting cast that brought the idea to life. Very creative film that is worth the watch. Currently on Netflix. 10/13/2016
½ October 11, 2016
Way ahead of it's time!
½ October 11, 2016
This is another movie that I watched as a child with my family that had a big impact on how I think about stories. I liken this film to feature length episode of the Twilight Zone, as it's got the same sort of vibe and subject matter I'd expect from them. This story is just so creative and so interesting and it's executed near perfect. My only problem is that Jim Carrey does ham it up a bit too much with his performance which makes it a bit harder for me to empathize with what he's going through. I would have preferred something more along the lines of Eternal Sunshine Jim Carrey (minus the overwhelming sad). In the end, it doesn't bring it down too much for me.
October 9, 2016
Can't help but to think that this is mocking Christians, to not be controlled by a 'God' and to encourage people to break free.
October 7, 2016
I love this movie (particularly fitting after Plato) because it is moving and erudite. The Truman Show is easily in my top tens and I could discuss it for days!
October 4, 2016
The Truman show is a cross between a biting criticism of the truth to be found in television as well as the validity of religion and a simple, feel-good movie. This makes for an entertaining film that leaves you both satisfied and introspective once it's over.

The Truman show has a large number of biblical allusions if the viewer looks closely enough. First off, the "creator" of the show is named Christof, which is extremely similar to the phrase "of Christ" used in religious texts. This allusion exists to set the framework of the movie being a satire of religion. Christof's purpose as a character is to criticize a God that is "always watching" but allows us to operate in a world in which no one really knows the purpose of living. In this sense, Truman [the only true man in a world of fakes], once he realizes that he is living in a false reality, becomes a sort of anti-jesus who wishes to escape the enslavement of his god in order to venture into the unknown. While I see some reviewers likened Truman to Adam and Sylvia to Eve of the biblical story of Adam and Eve, I feel my explanation fits better with the script of the movie and the overall themes in general.

On the other hand, one can view this pleasing film as a joking criticism of the growing American obsession with reality television and the utter stupidity of it all. Despite Christof claiming that "nothing is fake" in the show, it is inherently fake in its depiction of the events of Truman's life as it's all orchestrated by the Christof himself. This movie aired in a pre-Kardashian age, but is just as applicable to the world's television tastes now. In an age where celebrity is almost synonymous with falsehood, this movie provides a refreshing satire on reality TV obsession.

I believe the Truman show is a mostly good movie; while there were plot holes (why in the presence of 5,000 cameras was the entire cast of the show linking arms and shouting out Truman's name to find him] and instances where too much of Jim Carrey's patented eccentric nature leaked out, it contained a good message and a valid criticism of the world in which we live.
October 3, 2016
Fantastic film. Original, entertaining and touching. It is a criticism of the current existent postmodern in today's society. Truman is a TV star since the day he was born, his whole life was filmed, and their daily routine is also filmed and showed to the whole world through a reality show. The only one problem is that he never knew.
With this original and surprising argument starts this movie, which is a heartless chronicle of capitalism, the role of the media, the large corporations and foremost to those people who take advantage of others for their benefit.
The fictional town where Truman lives is inhabited by actors is another dart of criticism of the American dream long awaited. Truman lives in a beautiful place with beautiful people who are happy, his life could not be more perfect. But Truman did not feel perfect, unlike trying to escape from it (unsuccessfully of course), and start a new life elsewhere.
October 3, 2016
This movie gives you a sense of claustrophobia that a lot of movies don't really give. You feel for Truman as he realises that his whole life has been a lie. Jim Carrey gives his best performance and is practically Oscar worthy in scenes.
October 2, 2016
Incredibly entertaining. Carry makes the movie so enjoyable and humorous.
September 30, 2016
The Truman Show has it all. It is a combination of an impeccable screenplay, gorgeous characterization, and a breathtaking story. All leading to an epic ending. And no, this is not an exaggeration. The Truman Show will keep you at the edge of your seat.. even after the movie has ended.

Truman is the star of the most popular show in the planet: The Truman Show. The only thing is, he is not aware of it. Born into a huge television set and watched by thousands of cameras, people across the globe have seen his every move, live, from the moment he was born. However, lately he has been wondering about the rest of the world and about the whereabouts of his true love. With his whole world against him, this naive celebrity is now searching for the truth and a way to leave everything he knows.

The Truman Show would never have worked without Jim Carrey. He shows us a side of him never seen before this movie. We knew about his playful, sarcastic, and hilarious personality from films such as The Mask and Ace Ventura. But until this film we can see that he can act without the help of jokes and props. The film is so personal that it is impossible to cheat it. Director Peter Weir creates a perfect world for our protagonist and brings an incredible cast that adds charm and meaning to the film.

The story is deep, unique, and thought-provoking. There is some truthfulness to this reality show. The protagonist is sincere, but everything around him is fake. The events at every point in his life, his thoughts, his fears, everything has been modified and carefully managed at some point. Carefully taken care of. We may not be inside a big stage controlled by a TV producer, but who's to say today's society is not being controlled by media in the same exact way?

As the film reaches a conclusion, Truman leaves us and the audience with his famous catchphrase. The viewers, after a tiny spark of excitement, seem to wake up from a trance and change the channel to something other than a blank screen. That is it, off to another program. The similitude to reality is scary, but it also makes this movie quite extraordinary.
September 28, 2016
5/5. Funny, well-written, entertaining, and absolutely brilliant. It's not a typical Jim Carrey movie, but The Truman Show is a must-watch.