The Truman Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truman Show Reviews

March 12, 2017
A fantastic blend of comedy and drama which in no way feels outdated.
½ March 11, 2017
This is an extremely thought-provoking film with plenty of intrigue and humour, with exceptional performances from Jim Carrey and Ed Harris.
February 22, 2017
An original idea executed flawlessly with an impeccable performance from Jim Carrey.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B+
Whilst it may ask you to suspend disbelief on occasion, 'The Truman Show' boasts an enthralling original concept, an excellent performance by Jim Carrey and a narrative that's impossible not to be gripped by.
February 20, 2017
My personal favourite movie
½ February 15, 2017
Jim Carrey displays his great talent. I also like the whole idea of the movie.
February 12, 2017
This movie just gets better every time i see it.
The first time, you focus on the plot, on the clues given to you by the movie, and after watching it you just feel paranoic and spend a couple of days looking at every corner and you find yourself being embarrassed to do anything alone in your room in case someone is watching... well not really... but you get it.

Then the second time you start noticing the details, you can understand what the director of the show says at some point in the movie: "We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.". At some point one even admires truman's resolve to leave the island. He has it all at the end doesn't he? the american dream and all.

This could have easily been a scary movie or a thriller, it could have been more dramatic or it could have gone deeper into comedy and just lose its focus. Yet, to me, it walks perfectly in the line between drama and comedy. Despite everything it is always light, fun and thought proviking.
February 12, 2017
A fascinating, thought-provoking story with great acting from Jim Carrey, but I thought the direction, photography and production design could have been better and could have transform this to a 5 stars movie. Nonetheless the script was amazing and it touches upon very interesting topics.
February 3, 2017
By McKenna Curran, January 31, 2017
What if you figure out that your entire life is fake; the biggest lie ever told, and everyone was in on it? The Truman Show -- The Truman Show (1998), is about a man that lives in a dome; a fake world, where his family and friends aren't really his family and friends, but just actors who grew up with him. This life of his is just a fake, with fake weather, lies about other places, recurring radio channels; all on TV. This movie got me thinking about technology, and how humans have manipulated each other. Every storm that changes the weather were all done by dials and switches.
Truman, a simple guy with a beautiful wife, a nice a house, a garden, and friendly neighbors. Each day is the same: talks to his neighbors before he leaves for work, his favorite songs are on the radio all the time; the people he interacts with are organized (i.e. he doesn't run into to anyone on his way). Before he gets into his building, he gets food from across the street. He looks at magazines and calls the travel company every day, even though he's taught that Fiji isn't a real place, but he tries anyway. Sometimes, he goes on the daily boat ride, expecting to leave town forever, but it never happens.
Once, he started to bond with a woman on the beach, but a few days later, men come and take her. After dinner, he hands out with his childhood friend, Marlon, always on the shore of the beach. Truman begins to become suspicious of this life, but Marlon reassures him that nothing's wrong. He should just calm down and go about his business. Outside Truman's believed home, the TV crew and director does a Q&A. The woman from the beach is on the phone, yelling about Truman to get into the real world.
Truman finds some of the cameras around the town; his house; figures out that the radio isn't real. So, he tries to get out of town first, but is blocked by fake guards and police. So, he hides. But, all the actors in town have to find him after a day, with directions from the director of the show, Christof. Cristof has watched Truman grow up for over 30 years, gaining fans from all over the world. Truman leaves, but it's not easy. He gets to the edge of the dome on a thunderous trip on a boat. He's talked to Christof through the loud speakers, who tries to get him to stay.
My opinion on this is that it's the kind of fiction that could totally be real; possibly even in the future. The dome would be more advanced, of course. I like this movie because of the way things work; his daily routine. He visits his mother, and sees his father. They make sure he's secure in town. I like movies because I'm a movie nerd, and this review has to be formal, but I'll try to do it like usual. It's cool because it's like a vacation. The movie is trying to perform a simple life. But, Truman is a test subject! It's weird to think about, honestly.
½ February 2, 2017
I gave this movie a low rating however many years ago when I watched it so I decided to give it another chance. I'm glad I did. I honestly can't remember what I didn't like about it. I actually enjoyed it this time around.
½ January 25, 2017
Resonates with people who have to deal with this wacky world and medias growing extremes to get people watching.
½ January 17, 2017
An original idea that came along pretty much in all the right ways, Peter Weir's modern classic preserves itself as an authentic and smartly written comedy-drama, that explores human dependency over entertainment media and the day by day monotony, with an hyper charismatic performance by Jim Carrey in the lead role.
January 10, 2017
One of the most interestingly potent ideas to ever be presented in film, The Truman Show explores very culturally significant themes as well as creating a world that is ripe with imagination and clever satire led by a heartfelt and naturally funny performance from Jim Carrey.
½ January 7, 2017
A simple, touching movie. Perfect for a rainy day.
½ January 4, 2017
O filme é bem legal e interessante, só não gostei muito do final..
January 3, 2017
a really funny yet thought provoking move that i want all of my friends amd family to watch. Where is this Jim Carey now? Why did he disappear off of planet earth?
½ January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 27, 2016
Great phenomenal movie starring Jim Carey. I love, I adore Jim Carey and his performance and how it felt real, and I love his character Truman and that he doesn't know that he is in a dome and that he's the star of his own reality tv show. The idea of taking a baby from when still in the mother's belly and at birth already had cameras all around him and follow him around his entire life until he gets suspicious that something weird is happening to him and the world around him, I just love it. And Truman's triumph in being his own person at the end of the movie, making his own desicion, his choice to stay in reality tv land or be his own person in the real world. And the actor's around him, act the part but that's their job and if they don't then they are out of the tv show. To be , you would think that a corporation would adopt Truman or any child and make him be in a reality show to make the person who adopts the orphan makes all the money and don't giving a lick to the orphan over their entire life. But don't forget about that cliff hanger, I hate when they do cliff hanger s in phenomenal movies, like this one, I hope that this movie gets a sequel because I want to know what happened to Truman and how he survives in the real world.
December 20, 2016
Una comedia bastante entretenida que tiene un trasfondo más serio de lo que creerías.