The Truman Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Truman Show Reviews

April 24, 2017
Heartfelt and amazingly odd in all aspects.
April 14, 2017
Genre: Soap Opera Sci-Fi Satire. Stars: Jim Carrey the actor, Peter Weir the director, Andrew Niccol the screenwriter. Biggest strength: Stirring execution of the premise of a "random" person's life, from Day 1, being entirely televised for the whole world, with everything in this person's life being scripted (to the in-film director's best ability). Biggest weakness: At some points, we are to consider whether or not the isolated, crime-free world in which Truman has lived is truly better than the real, crime-ridden world that watches Truman's life. Andrew Niccol does not follow with that fully, instead wishing to indulge us, the viewers of his movie, with these vague notions of needing to be free, and rooting for the romance(?) between Carrey and some woman who first told him that his entire life is a lie. Leave it be, Niccol! You came dangerously close to self-parody, in certain scenes. Thankfully, Peter Weir had the chops to bring most of the scenes into comedic light; better yet, the casting choice of Jim Carrey helped even more. There were some delightful moments of simply watching Truman do his routine thing. Weir and Carrey are unitedly responsible for letting us, the audience, care about Truman, even if not as much as the audience of the in-film Truman Show.
April 14, 2017
The Truman Show is a comedy direted by Peter Weir released in 1998. The movie speaks about Truman Burbank. Since his birth, his world is only a gigantic set of shooting and all those around him are actors. He alone is ignorant of reality. The film explores his first doubts and his quest to discover the purpose of his life.

Truman, interpreted by Jim Carrey seems happy in a routine that it is itself built. He nevertheless has a water phobia of the sea, due to a terrible accident when he was young.
Gradually as the movie have started, we discover Truman and his habits of the day and we see that Truman is endearing and comical because sometimes he acts like a kid so it's funny.

The movie team uses many special effects and realizes a huge work for the settings which earned the prize for the best movie scenery. The movie is filmed from different points of view, sometimes we see Truman thanks to the camera that films him in the daily (included in the film) while sometimes it is a camera in the real life.
There are many close-ups centered on Truman.

I think the message of this film is that, anyone cannot take control of the life of someone and exploited him without him knowing to obtain from him any money or entertainment. Also by this film, the director criticizes the reality TV that began to develop in 1989.

Goods points of the movie : it is full of very amazing and surprising ideas, the beginning is funny but later we discover that Truman is manipulated so we put ourselves on his places, which allows to really be captivated into the screenplay.
For me, the ending is the most beautiful thing in all the movie, because the dialogue with the project manager who tried to hold back Truman is deep and sincere and is a beautiful life lesson.

So worth watching ? I advise film to all those who have not seen it because it is not only my favorite movie but because there is an incredible actor games that allowed Jim Carrey to take back the Golden Globe 1999 and Ed Harris The Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.
April 11, 2017
Amazing movie. I love the message
½ April 1, 2017
While the story idea is silly and would never happen, I love this movie anyway. Weir really does an excellent job of creating a fascinating world. An interesting study of how television has complete control over its audience. Jim Carey's best movie.
March 12, 2017
A fantastic blend of comedy and drama which in no way feels outdated.
½ March 11, 2017
This is an extremely thought-provoking film with plenty of intrigue and humour, with exceptional performances from Jim Carrey and Ed Harris.
February 22, 2017
An original idea executed flawlessly with an impeccable performance from Jim Carrey.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B+
Whilst it may ask you to suspend disbelief on occasion, 'The Truman Show' boasts an enthralling original concept, an excellent performance by Jim Carrey and a narrative that's impossible not to be gripped by.
February 20, 2017
My personal favourite movie
½ February 15, 2017
Jim Carrey displays his great talent. I also like the whole idea of the movie.
February 12, 2017
This movie just gets better every time i see it.
The first time, you focus on the plot, on the clues given to you by the movie, and after watching it you just feel paranoic and spend a couple of days looking at every corner and you find yourself being embarrassed to do anything alone in your room in case someone is watching... well not really... but you get it.

Then the second time you start noticing the details, you can understand what the director of the show says at some point in the movie: "We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.". At some point one even admires truman's resolve to leave the island. He has it all at the end doesn't he? the american dream and all.

This could have easily been a scary movie or a thriller, it could have been more dramatic or it could have gone deeper into comedy and just lose its focus. Yet, to me, it walks perfectly in the line between drama and comedy. Despite everything it is always light, fun and thought proviking.
February 12, 2017
A fascinating, thought-provoking story with great acting from Jim Carrey, but I thought the direction, photography and production design could have been better and could have transform this to a 5 stars movie. Nonetheless the script was amazing and it touches upon very interesting topics.
February 3, 2017
By McKenna Curran, January 31, 2017
What if you figure out that your entire life is fake; the biggest lie ever told, and everyone was in on it? The Truman Show -- The Truman Show (1998), is about a man that lives in a dome; a fake world, where his family and friends aren't really his family and friends, but just actors who grew up with him. This life of his is just a fake, with fake weather, lies about other places, recurring radio channels; all on TV. This movie got me thinking about technology, and how humans have manipulated each other. Every storm that changes the weather were all done by dials and switches.
Truman, a simple guy with a beautiful wife, a nice a house, a garden, and friendly neighbors. Each day is the same: talks to his neighbors before he leaves for work, his favorite songs are on the radio all the time; the people he interacts with are organized (i.e. he doesn't run into to anyone on his way). Before he gets into his building, he gets food from across the street. He looks at magazines and calls the travel company every day, even though he's taught that Fiji isn't a real place, but he tries anyway. Sometimes, he goes on the daily boat ride, expecting to leave town forever, but it never happens.
Once, he started to bond with a woman on the beach, but a few days later, men come and take her. After dinner, he hands out with his childhood friend, Marlon, always on the shore of the beach. Truman begins to become suspicious of this life, but Marlon reassures him that nothing's wrong. He should just calm down and go about his business. Outside Truman's believed home, the TV crew and director does a Q&A. The woman from the beach is on the phone, yelling about Truman to get into the real world.
Truman finds some of the cameras around the town; his house; figures out that the radio isn't real. So, he tries to get out of town first, but is blocked by fake guards and police. So, he hides. But, all the actors in town have to find him after a day, with directions from the director of the show, Christof. Cristof has watched Truman grow up for over 30 years, gaining fans from all over the world. Truman leaves, but it's not easy. He gets to the edge of the dome on a thunderous trip on a boat. He's talked to Christof through the loud speakers, who tries to get him to stay.
My opinion on this is that it's the kind of fiction that could totally be real; possibly even in the future. The dome would be more advanced, of course. I like this movie because of the way things work; his daily routine. He visits his mother, and sees his father. They make sure he's secure in town. I like movies because I'm a movie nerd, and this review has to be formal, but I'll try to do it like usual. It's cool because it's like a vacation. The movie is trying to perform a simple life. But, Truman is a test subject! It's weird to think about, honestly.
½ February 2, 2017
I gave this movie a low rating however many years ago when I watched it so I decided to give it another chance. I'm glad I did. I honestly can't remember what I didn't like about it. I actually enjoyed it this time around.
½ January 25, 2017
Resonates with people who have to deal with this wacky world and medias growing extremes to get people watching.
½ January 17, 2017
An original idea that came along pretty much in all the right ways, Peter Weir's modern classic preserves itself as an authentic and smartly written comedy-drama, that explores human dependency over entertainment media and the day by day monotony, with an hyper charismatic performance by Jim Carrey in the lead role.
January 10, 2017
One of the most interestingly potent ideas to ever be presented in film, The Truman Show explores very culturally significant themes as well as creating a world that is ripe with imagination and clever satire led by a heartfelt and naturally funny performance from Jim Carrey.
½ January 7, 2017
A simple, touching movie. Perfect for a rainy day.