Tuvalu Reviews

• Mar 21, 2020

Ik vind het heel raar

Ik vind het heel raar

• Mar 13, 2017

A strange supernatural TV drama. Set in northern England during the 60s, two young religious boys put their talents to create their own version of the fabled golem. There is a bully in town who has already commented several murders by pushing other boys into a watery clay pit. The same pit the main characters gather their clay from and the bully is already their target for when their golem is ready... But the alliance between the boys isn't as strong as it sounds. One of the boys can't be trusted. He dabbles in strange reclusive activities and seems to have strange powers. For the most part of the film the viewers are kept in the dark about what exactly is happening. Whether the supernatural events one is seeing are actually happening or a trick of illusion or hypnosis are unknown up until the near the end of the film. The film has a slow paced and mournful feel to it not much in the way of action and absolutely nothing of sex. The setting is an original idea, poverty ridden northern England in the last century. It's a bit like Billy Elliot with a monster in it. (Which of course means it's better than Billy Elliot.) It's also nice to see a film about a golem. All the golem films I know are from the silent era. And it's also interesting that the word "golem" is never mentioned in the film but is in the film descriptions I read. Straying from the original fable though, this golem is of a rather somber and sympathetic nature. The CG animation of the monster is obvious but not at all bad considering it's for such an obscure film. So you wont find any cheesy action in this movie but it is an original, nice atmospheric piece with some good acting and intriguing story.

• Jan 03, 2013

A Fun and Bizarre Slapstick Fantasy--A genre bending film!!

A Fun and Bizarre Slapstick Fantasy--A genre bending film!!

• Jul 12, 2012

Weird is an understatement.

Weird is an understatement.

• Mar 30, 2012

One of the most amazing, charming and wonderful movies of all time.

One of the most amazing, charming and wonderful movies of all time.

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Mar 14, 2012

Can a picturesque but dilapidated Turkish bathhouse pass a government inspection, and can love between a poolboy and a female patron flourish after the girl's father is killed when a piece of the crumbling ceiling falls on him? This nearly silent, tinted experimental feature with slapstick tributes is beautiful to look at but difficult to follow; the set peices are excellent, in small doses, but my attention drifted overall.

• Feb 29, 2012

I really enjoyed watching this. I was snowed in today and in the mood to be patient with a plot, so it worked out perfectly. I loved the desolate mood, this film is oozing with ennui. It had some very cute moments that warmed my heart. Wasn't a big fan of the sniffing scenes...very european.

• Dec 12, 2011

92% Reminds me of the French director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films.

92% Reminds me of the French director, Jean-Pierre Jeunet's films.

• Apr 16, 2011

PÃ (C)sima, mala historia, aburridora.

PÃ (C)sima, mala historia, aburridora.

• Jun 27, 2010

fun and bizare visual treat...

fun and bizare visual treat...