Les Bas-fonds (The Lower Depths) (Underground) (Underworld) Reviews

• Jun 01, 2016

good version of this play turned big screen adaptation.

good version of this play turned big screen adaptation.

• Mar 27, 2016

Renoir's most accessible comedy/drama providing some interesting insights into human behavior and some excellent acting on the part of Jean Gabin and Louis Jouvet.

• Apr 21, 2015

My experience with Renoir has been a bit hit and miss. Generally, I find I don't connect very well to a certain kind of humanist film-making that's pretty common in France in the 30s and 40s. "The Rules of the Game", for example, leaves me kind of cold and I have never really been able to see what people love about a film like "L'Atalante". I'm pretty convinced this is largely a failing on my part and that I should revisit these films until something clicks. When I do connect with them, however, I connect pretty strongly. I love "Grand Illusion", for example, and I absolutely adored this film. This feels like a classic Hollywood film in the best way possible. If Jean Gabin had been American or British, he would have been a huge star. His interplay with Louis Jouvet in this film reminds me of classic pairings like Bogart with Walter Brennan in "To Have and Have Not". I could watch the two of them banter for hours.

• Dec 20, 2011

Jean Gabin + Jean Renoir nunca podem ser menos que fantásticos. :-)

Jean Gabin + Jean Renoir nunca podem ser menos que fantásticos. :-)

• Nov 11, 2011

I found this early Renoir film much more engaging and rewarding than Kurosawa's rendition. It has some great performances by Gabin, Jouvet, Kostileff, and Vigan. I was immersed in this world that felt authentic while at the same time being light hearted. It's not as much a commentary on poverty as it is about life and the events in our lives that are out of our control. It crafts some lovable characters and engages the audience all the way through.

• Feb 09, 2011

The French take on the Russians was interesting. I especially liked the ho-yay between Petel and the Baron. Good stuff.

• Jan 18, 2011

It might be unevenly paced but The Lower Depths features charming characters and intriguing interactions between them.

• Dec 17, 2010

This was quite a film by Jean Renoir. But I think Kurosawa's adaptation was a little better. Jean Gabin was very good, along with the rest of the cast. Maybe, the film was not as good for me because I knew what would happen for the most part. Overall, a good film for it's time that should not be missed!

• Aug 02, 2010

I wish I was as calm and collected as Louis Jouvet in this film...but, you know, without the gambling issues.

• Jul 30, 2010

Fantastic. La Grande Illusion I admired, but this I really connected to. Gabin is astonishing, as is the bulk of the cast, and Renoir's direction, while offbeat at first, really serves the material well. The duality of the story really appealed to me, and it's handled quite deftly. There's also a wonderful sense of place, and there are so many memorable characters - each of them is distinct, which is surprising given that the film runs for only an hour and a half, and some of them only appear in passing. Looking forward to seeing what else Renoir has to offer.