Unhook the Stars Reviews

• Aug 30, 2018

A touching, true-to-life drama. Gena Rowlands is terrific as usual.

A touching, true-to-life drama. Gena Rowlands is terrific as usual.

• Apr 01, 2016

Unhook the Stars is a disappointing film. It is about Mildred, an elderly woman who has spent her life caring for others. Gena Rowlands and Marissa Tomei give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Nick Cassavetes did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.

• Jul 06, 2015

A very life affirming coming-of-age story about an elderly woman who learns to stop taking care of others and start living her life.

• May 17, 2015

I know u shouldn't judge a book (or movie) by its cover or title but this is one of my favourite movie titles and a reel good com-dram.

• Oct 09, 2014

Unhook the Stars is a good first picture by the multi-talented Nick Cassavetes, but it isn't always a fun watch. Some aspects are a little cliched, and the characters are hardly relatable. But it is the acting that helps make the film thoroughly watchable. Gena Rowlands and Marisa Tomei give stellar performances.

• May 21, 2014

Between a 6/10 and 7/10, Nick Cassavetes' first feature celebrates the acting grandeur of his mom Gena Rowlands, casting her in the lead role as a older woman who would rather stick to her independent lifestyle than be dependent on her kids -- one just wishes that the script were better.

• Feb 04, 2014

Interesting contrasts

Interesting contrasts

• Mar 20, 2013

I liked this movie even though it was a little odd.

I liked this movie even though it was a little odd.

John B Super Reviewer
    Dec 12, 2012

Nick Cassavetes does his father no disservice with this film anchored by his mother Gena Rowlands and Marisa Tomei. Nicely done.

• Mar 21, 2012

parts of this film are a little too slow-paced, but it's worth seeing anyway; Gena Rowlands and Marisa Tomei give great performances