Unstrung Heroes Reviews

• Jan 20, 2014

Unstrung Heroes is an excellent film. It is about Steven Lidz, unhappy with his home life since his mother got sick, goes and lives with his two crazy Uncles. Andie McDowell, Nathan Watt and John Turturro give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Diane Keaton did a great job directing this movie and it is her directorial debut. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama.

• Jul 03, 2013

Wonderfully sad and funny film by the renowned Diane Keaton about familial love, memories and grief, with two wildly eccentric uncles thrown in. Heartwarming and touching--a great watch.

• Mar 28, 2013

I watch this movie long time ago, just came across this DVD, very nice.

I watch this movie long time ago, just came across this DVD, very nice.

John B Super Reviewer
    Dec 13, 2012

Keaton's directorial debut is not bad but not great. I think she suffers from the same problem as Tom Hanks..the need to show something to be loved rather than something edgy. The result is passable stuff but not memorable stuff.

• Dec 11, 2012

There was something simple about this movie that bothered me, perhaps it was the "unstrung" people that this family was surrounded with? Perhaps it was the way the parents raised their children in an unusual way where for that time period it seemed odd that they did not discipline their children and seemed to give them huge freedoms? I think that was what really got me, but despite this I still enjoyed watching the eccentricities of the uncles and their impact on Franz and how he accepted them as a way for him to cope with loss.

• Apr 16, 2012

I didn't like this movie at first. It made me uncomfortable, in part because I expected something more along the lines of two of my favorite nineties films, "Wide Awake" and "Little Man Tate." Steven/Franz's father was a total jerk, to me, and the mental illness of the uncles didn't seem like it was actually going to be TREATED like illness. I felt very uncomfortable for Franz Lidz, feeling sorry that he had grown up in such an environment. The first half of this movie fooled me, however. Not everything in it was what it seemed. As it got closer and closer to the end, a rich mix of emotion bubbled up through the surface without becoming sticky, sickly, or melodramatic, and the conclusion made me tear up. I began to care about these characters like they were a quirky extension of my own family. The main idea I took from the whole thing is that Franz was a smart kid who could handle the less-than-pleasant side of the world, and seeing as how he wrote the memoir that inspired this nice little movie, it sure seems like he did. It's a shame that this movie is doomed to relative obscurity. It's definitely the kind of quirky-yet-grounded movie that doesn't get made anymore... at least, not this way.

• Mar 24, 2012

Very sad but entertaining. I liked this film but I felt that some parts were unnecessary Acting:A+ Plot:C+ Entertainment value:A-

• Nov 26, 2011

I laughed, I cried, what more can you ask from one movie.

I laughed, I cried, what more can you ask from one movie.

• Jun 04, 2011

"Les liens du souvenir"

"Les liens du souvenir"

• Jan 25, 2011

I've always felt like this movie just never clicks. There's the wacky slapstick comedy side with the uncles, and the horribly depressing "mom's dying" story. It moves between big broad laughs (like Looney Tunes style comic set pieces), and then extremely sad moments, but finds a hard time showing life in between. What's left is a movie of extremes that left me feeling a little whiplashed.