Untamed Reviews

• Jul 31, 2018

Okay, this movie is really good but it really upset me at the same time. I loved the adventure and I wanted more but the fact that Paul Van Riebeck (Tyrone Power) kept abandoning his love Katie O'Neill Kildare (Susan Hayward) just made me plain upset. I do think that the actors did a wonderful job playing their roles, and there's something always coming around the corner though, but the ending was a little bit weird. Paul proposes to Katie after he'd abandoned her so many times and said that he loves her, Katie immediately accepts and all is forgiven? On the positive side, the actors did a magnificent job portraying their roles and it gives you a feel of every emotion. This is probably not the best Tyrone Power classic out there, but I believe that this was one of his last movies he preformed in. If you're a fan, (like me) go ahead and watch it. It has a fun sense of adventure lurking all around. Even though this is a movie that I probably won't watch again for a while, go ahead and try it. C+ or B- (I can't really decide)

• Jun 18, 2018

As a Susan hayward fan, i'll watch anything she's in. The fact that i sat through this horrible horrible movie, is proof of that. Except for the fact that she looks grrreat in it, this is by far the worst hayward movie i've ever seen. She's an irish lass born & raised and she doesn't even have an accent. Agnes moorhead at least attempted that much. tyrone power was about as south african as i am. and richard egan's character is an example of everything ever wrong with white male dominance (I realize the time and place has a lot to do with that). every line or action in this movie was such an obvious set up for the next line or action, it was pathetic. ridiculous script, ridiculous directing, and a whole lot of over acting. once you realize in the first half hour that the movie is so pathetically predictable, you simply give up hoping that something will surprise you, and you find yourself narrating the upcoming scene before it even happens. Okay, there, i'm done. thankfully i never have to watch this again, and i can check it off my list of susan hayward movies to watch.

• Apr 22, 2014

I really enjoyed this film.

I really enjoyed this film.

• Jan 17, 2014

This is our place. Home. In Ireland the economy has turned for the worse and a recession is setting in. Katie O'Neil and her husband decide to follow religion to the promise land: South Africa. Once in South Africa they see the hardship the people encounter and their own hard times. Katie also becomes involved in an affair that may end poorly. "We'll plow, and we'll seed, and we'll begin again." Henry King, director of The Bravados, Carousel, The Gunfighter, The Black Swan (1942), Carolina, Over the Hill, State Fair, Salvage, and Fury, delivers Untamed. The storyline for this picture is fairly interesting and was better than I anticipated. I thought this would be a classic safe Africa picture, but it was a true romantic drama. The cast delivers wonderful performances and includes Tyrone Power, Susan Hayward, Brad Dexter, and Rita Morena. "Find a new land. A more merciful land." Untamed is a movie I DVR'd off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it stars Tyrone Power. I actually really liked the dynamics between characters and the plot was definitely better than I anticipated. This isn't my favorite Power flick, but I definitely think you should give it a view. "It was a diamond." Grade: B

• Jun 22, 2010