The Untouchables - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Untouchables Reviews

August 7, 2016
Ambitious, flawed gangster film

The Untouchables might be said to be less than the sum of its parts. Certain of those parts are very good indeed: Sean Connery gives an Oscar winning performance as a street-wise Irish-American cop, Robert De Niro is unforgettable as Al Capone (though he's not actually on screen that much), the atmosphere of Prohibition-era Chicago is elaborately and convincingly realized, and certain of the cinematic set-pieces, like the justly famous midnight shoot-out in Chicago's train station, are about as good as they can be. But against this, Kevin Costner's performance as Eliot Ness is wooden, the scenes with his family seem too goody-goody, as if the film were straining to make a point of the decent values he's defending, and, with the exception of Connery's character, it's hard to feel much empathy with either the good guys or the bad guys. All in all, an ambitious film which ends up being a bravura piece of film making but a good, not great, gangster movie. Rated R for occasional language and lots of graphic violence. Available in various DVD issues, including a recent Blu-Ray; I saw it on the 2004 Paramount standard DVD Collector's Edition, and I thought the DVD quality was very good.
½ August 7, 2016
Shittiest and cringiest movie Ive ever seen in my life. 2 hours that I ll never gain again.
½ June 23, 2016
Well-acted albeit traditional crime story.
½ June 5, 2016
Entertaining film with an A-list cast. Fared better than Geraldo's special The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults, which aired a year earlier.
May 30, 2016
Overall underwhelming. A-List actors don't bring anything remotely A-level. DePalma disappoints. At least Morricone delivers.
½ May 22, 2016
Classic Gangster film
May 20, 2016
Brian De Palma's magnum opus is a sensational motion picture epic that is meticulously crafted. It concerns the legendary Federal Agent Elliot Ness, marvelously played by Kevin Costner in his breakout, star-making performance. Taking place during the 30s Prohibition-era Chicago where he goes to war with police corruption and the mayhem caused by mob kingpin Al Capone, flamboyantly played by Robert De Niro, who perfectly captures the sinister charm and ruthlessness of Capone in a grand extended cameo. Ness learns the hard way that it won't be easy, so he enlists the help from an honest veteran beat cop named Jimmy Malone, brilliantly played by Sir Sean Connery in his memorable Academy Award winning performance, it is the film's best performance. Malone becomes a mentor to Ness, he teachers him his street smarts and how to get Capone, he tells Ness, "If he pulls a knife, you pull a gun, if he sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue," that's the Chicago way and that's how you get Capone. Andy Garcia delivers a superlative performance as George Stone, a police recruit and crack shot who is hired by Ness & Malone right out the Academy. Charles Martin Smith delivers a wonderfully amusing and endearing turn as nerdy FBI accountant, Oscar Wallace who after joining Ness' squad of Untouchables becomes a shotgun empowered badass, Smith is the delightful comic relief of the film. Great action sequences, and the period recreation is flawless. Beautifully directed by De Palma, with gorgeous cinematography by Stephen H. Burum, a captivating screenplay by David Mamet, magnificent production design by William A. Elliott, and a fabulous score by the great Enno Morricone. Without doubt De Palma's masterpiece. Highly Recommended.
May 9, 2016
this movie is so good even though it's soo old
May 2, 2016
An insultingly cartoonish simplification of America's prohibition era, that's irrevocably raped by the worlds worst actor, Kevin Costner. Definately the worst Brian de Palma ever. What the hell was he thinking??????? I mean the same guy made Scarface FFS. Not even Connery or De Niro can help pick up the pieces. Okay, I'll be fair, there is one good bit in this shit storm, the baby carriage scene, but that's it.
April 21, 2016
How violent are these mobsters? A pretty decent film nonetheless.
April 8, 2016
A very violent film, but well acted and directed.
March 13, 2016
Never seen this before but I really enjoyed it. I can see why many laud Kevin Costner's performance. A great cast and a classic movie.
½ March 3, 2016
The whole movie is just dumb and childish. Robert DeNiro doesnt give a damn. Apart from a couple of scenes where i must admit i was entertained, its an overrated film that has no subtlety.
Null
½ February 29, 2016
The Untouchables is exciting, but at the same time dark and thrilling while also featuring a fantastic cast filled with great performances!
½ January 14, 2016
The Untouchables is a movie that should work perfectly for me. It has a classic story of a small group of good guys who seem to be taking on the whole world, it has amazing scenes that are emotional and intense, and it has a great cast. In fact I really did like the movie a lot. Sean Connery was better than words could possibly describe. Andy Garcia and Robert DeNiro were stellar as you'd always expect them to be. Even Charles Martin Smith was perfectly cast as a nerdy accountant who finds the financial loophole to catch Capone. The only problems I have with this movie are 2 things, but they kept taking me out of the movie and I'd have to struggle to get invested again. First of all was the music. I'm not sure what Morricone was thinking here, but there are scenes where the music is extremely out of place and it changes the tone of a scene from dramatic to silly. And there was a couple other scenes where the music was overly dramatic and telegraphed the events that were coming. It's not something I ordinarily point out in films, but the fact that it stood out so much to me should attest to how distracting his score was in The Untouchables.

The other, perhaps even bigger flaw is Kevin Costner. I don't ordinarily have a problem with Costner starring in a movie, but there wasn't a single second where I was convinced of his performance in this movie. He was not the right person to play Eliot Ness in my opinion. He was flat and awkward, and I just couldn't figure out what he was doing. His facial expressions barely shifted from a scene where he was supposed to be in deep mourning to a scene where he was furious with rage. There were a couple of scenes where I found myself laughing involuntarily, because the line delivery felt so wrong. I don't know what it is, because at the beginning I thought he was perfect as the straight-laced cop who wouldn't dare to bend the rules. The problem is when his character was supposed to start shifting, I just wasn't seeing it in his performance. It's tough because he's on screen with so many others that are knocking it out of the park, but he did nothing for me. (On a side note: It also didn't help that I recently saw Naked Gun 3 and that movie has an opening scene which directly parodies the baby carriage/train station sequence. I seriously had to fight to avoid cracking up when I saw it here.) The plot of the film, and the other great performances lifted it up so I still enjoyed the experience of watching, but I think it could have been truly great if a couple of different decisions were made in the production.
½ December 12, 2015
Stylish, enthralling and bloody, this distinguished cast delivers an excellent and classy adventure that brings to life the era of Al Capone and the FBI agents who finally put him behind bars.
December 9, 2015
Brian DePalma's mob movie is led by a great cast of Coster, Connery, and De Niro. Making The Untouchables a sure fire hit!
November 19, 2015
To omologo proti fora to ida. Xalara 5 stars !! Tipote allo..
September 8, 2015
A deeply satisfying and entertaining Prohibition gang-buster directed with a Tommy gun's rat-tat-tat.
½ September 7, 2015