Valkyrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valkyrie Reviews

March 25, 2017
This was a really meh movie. Very uneventful and I found the casting of Tom Cruise as a Nazi commander preposterous and the fact that he or no one even tried in the slightest doing a German accent.
March 19, 2017
(needs 30 minutes intro)

When we see that we must find away. When we see that we must share the world rather then takeover. When we can't wait to see our family, but need to see to it they are safe first. When we see all our lives are in the hands of a mad man whom he endangers all our life. When we need to see that some plans must work, when we have a light time and window of light to do so when we have him in our grasps for a moment. When we need to see that we do it correctly and right that we get the right consent, and backing.When we see that we are literally being treasonous to our country.When we come face to face with evil to see that we cannot jeopardize the mission, when they are too high to see or notice whom we are and what we do to know that some leaders need to get out. When we see we need to start some place and end up in another place to see that the plan spreads to its intended targets and works. When see we must we equipped with the most advanced hidden weaponry to easily go undetected and unnoticed.
When we see the importance of our mission to continue further into enemy lines. When we need to see our family has a safe passage out.
When we see we must inform all whom would be involved in any case protocol were to happen. When we see that our loyalties lay on one side and others on the other side when we are supposed to be on the same side to know we are not scared to bleed for our country's well being. When we can't let others see whom are not on our side, we block from seeing. When we see but don't see any chance of victory when we can't see any moves we can make when we sre blocked. When we see that such plans worked, and have the opportunity to switch sides and see to thst we salvage whatever is remaining of our country. When we can't see to any changes when we can't see if those whom are targets are, got the package. When we need to see to get confirmation, but need to act fast when we see that we don't have much time. When we need to see that we receive safe passage, see that we take full control of communications, seize full command from those whom we wish to remove. When we see there are protocols in place and there are other people in charge and resume control but unsure which side takes full responsibility. When we see that we are ready to die for country. When we don't need to see what we hear when we know which side still has the upper hand and full control when plans are still in effect and there is no going back. When we see that others had another plan in effect when our side has traitors.
When we see our plans have failed, and all means of communication is cut off when our side is too weak and the other side is too powerful when their message and broadcast is too clear and loud that we see they have already resumed control and plans are in effect that can no longer go back on. When we see we are all in or out to know we must stand on opposite sides & views when we believe to see our country a certain way. When we see we must accept defeat. When we hold each person accountable for their involvement to see they get the punishment they deserve. When it would be the last time we will see our country and loved ones again. When we see that there were others just like us that wished to see what we saw but failed too. When we see we were on the right side when our side turned evil and we had the choice of following or dieing for the side we choose.

When we wish to see that we are on the right side when the wrong side is fallen when the right side claims victory and we are seen to help with their defeat.

***************************************************************************
When all whom had a part in the war in Nazi Germany, were either for domination or preservation of Germany's future. When you need to overthrow a dictator from within. When you have to be calculated, time it just right, and send word to allies. When we are in the right position of power to do something, for a greater cause that is more then ourselves and others to handle, that we make sacrifices. When we risk alot for a better, prosperous country, without dictatorship and censoring, that we start early to rebuild what remains. When our work doesn't mean it was for nothing, and our intentions go unnoticed, we take a stronghold in history as being on the right side of justice and freedom in the fight against evil.
February 13, 2017
2/11/17 This story of the Nazis is pretty fascinating. Some of the details on what is going on and how their plan would actually work are very hazy, but it is still interesting to watch their actions unfold. I had heard about this plot through a History channel show, but that only went through the "physics" of how the main "event" in the film happened (obviously, I'm trying not to give it away). It also annoyed me at the end that they left off some key "dates" on main characters and what actually historically happened to them. It made me think, well, is that character just fabricated for the purpose of the film then? Anyway, the story is great, but I could see how some would think it could have been done better.
½ January 28, 2017
While it doesn't have the emotional weight that more accomplished films set in this period have, it sill manages to be entertaining. With moments of genuine tension peppered throughout the narrative, you find yourself almost forgetting you already know how this story ends.
½ December 18, 2016
This is a movie for History buffs. It is well made, well acted and very suspenseful, but I can see somebody who likes all those things walk away from this movie disappointed because they didn't understand all the politics and history of the story. For someone like me who is very interested in Nazi Germany history and any World War II history in general, I understood what Tom Cruise was talking about when he talked about the SS and what a "coup" was. For someone who just wants suspense and gets lost in history and political *trigger warning* mumbo jumbo, then I'd say skip this movie. You can find suspense elsewhere. For history buffs, this is a good movie to check out. Nowhere does it compare with some of the other great films that tackled the subject of Nazis, but it is a welcome addition to the World War II club. Tom Cruise is always fun to watch and Bryan Singer really brought in a ton of heavy weight actors to fill the rest of the cast. A solid movie. Check it out!
½ December 7, 2016
An alright movie. Not my favorite of Toms.
October 26, 2016
A surprisingly good Hollywood style version of a German conflict.
October 14, 2016
Pretty solid. Takes a while to get over their being not a single German accent to be heard, but otherwise, this is decent B-level Cruise.
½ October 8, 2016
Nazis that speak with a british accent took a good few minutes to get used to. Also, Tom Cruise should not be in this film. I thought it was a little boring for quite a while too. The second half was a little better. It was ok. I doubt i will ever watch it again
August 31, 2016
dps recommended it as very good.
½ August 28, 2016
Valkyrie could have been a excellent historical thriller. However, it settles for a good entertaing thriller. Great performance by the cast, especially Tom Cruise, decent thrills, good potent action sequence, and the story was tweaked a bit, but it still was a good entertaining film.
½ August 23, 2016
Cruise as a "good" Nazi. This film is a testament to the true bombing assassination attempt on Hitler. It is good that this film was made.

Although it is a good movie and history lesson, there is some element that is missing from making this a great film. I was pondering this issue, and realized it was Cruise who was simply miscast in the leading role. An actor such as Brannaugh would have elevated the status of this film substantially, from its "forgotten" status today. Cruise just doesn't seem to be the stuff of the high-ranking Nazi officers that Hitler would have in his close circle, despite looking similar to the protagonist in real life..

The reality of the story does not make for a typical fairy tale Hollywood ending. But then again, this is the real world being depicted and wartime at that. A good film for history buffs.
August 20, 2016
A fascinating story well done!
August 7, 2016
A great true story movie with a sad ending, Bryan Singer does a good job with this one.
½ July 30, 2016
Valkyrie serves as a good platform for the true story of a group of germans that refused to submit to Nazi Germany, that absolutely needed to be shared. While admittedly the English accents get annoying, Valkyrie boasts some great performances, beautiful cinematography, and a tone that emphasizes a sense of urgency at every turn in the film. Valkyrie is worth checking out
July 28, 2016
Despite a good cast this film is cinematic faeces.
Theres just nothing going on the whole film. Its slow, its boring and its 2 hours long.
Valkyrie is a massive disappointment, a film with plenty of talking and thats it.
July 22, 2016
****
It's a bit slow at times, but Valkyrie is an excellent suspense thriller from Bryan Singer, beautifully shot and supporting a great performance by Tom Cruise.
½ May 30, 2016
?Tom Cruise leads a distinguised cast in Bryan Singer's engrossing dramatisation of the events surrounding an attempted assisination of Hitler and end to Nazi rule by a group of rebellious German officeirs. A rarely-told tale worth catching.
April 16, 2016
Historical drama. A number of inside attempts were made by Germans to assassinate Hitler. This movie tells the story of one of those plots. Tom Cruise leads a group of men to assassinate Hitler. Even though you know that Hitler committed suicide in real life, the movie makes you wish the outcome was different. Good story and cast. Only problem - everyone uses their own accents.
March 12, 2016
Good morning/afternoon/evening reader. This information is a review of a Tom Cruise movie that is worse than the early Mission Impossible movies. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to read on. Valkyrie opens with German text and dialogue converting to English, from the opening title, to the Nazi oath, and concluding with Colonel Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) writing in his journal about his views that got him sent to Tunisia: that Hitler is wrong, and must be removed from power for the sake of the world, and Germany (Both of which are Germany's mortal enemies). We open with an air raid that ends with Stauffenberg losing his right hand, two left-hand fingers, and his left eye. After this, he is recruited to join a kabaal hell-bent on deposing Hitler (David Bamber), led by Henning Von Tresckow (Kenneth Branagh). I think most of you know how World War II ended, so for those unlikely few who don't know, I won't say anything more on the plot. The characters, though, are lacking real development or relatability. Stauffenberg has a family that we meet once (as a whole, the wife, 2-3 times), but is never really sold as a family, and as with all historical films, they are focused more on plot and visuals than characters. Not an excuse. The picture is acceptable, as it is historically accurate (Unlike certain comic book TV shows that travel to WWII and omit the Swastika) in the basic (known) events and realistic with indoor smoking and air raids. The Nazis were record keepers, but like the number of licks it takes to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-pop, there are some things the world may never know (Like how Stauffenberg really interacted with his family, or every conversation in planning word-for-word). The language is presented in English for our benefit, however, if you recall movies about animals that take place in the real world they actually talk in, the animals are not speaking in proper English, rather, we are having it interpreted for our enjoyment. You can just assume that the characters are conferring in German, but it's all presented to us in English (or whatever language you're watching this in) so we don't have to learn German or get confused. As always with Bryan Singer, John Ottman edits, but more importantly, does the score. It does the story service and is placed where it should be. Valkyrie is good, but does not belong among the greats of historical cinema, because the acting is stale, and doesn't feel as genuine as hits like Lincoln. Do not hail this as something to watch for fun, but see it as something to be shown in history class to kill time and learn about World War II.