Valkyrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valkyrie Reviews

½ October 7, 2017
It's pretty solid for what it is and finishes up just above average.
½ September 26, 2017
Valkyrie is a solid addition to Cruise's filmography, but not one that is particularly memorable. Good cast and an interesting story.
September 20, 2017
A good, solid historical film that could have been better.
½ September 13, 2017
What do you do with a film about an assassination attempt on Hitler when basically the whole world knows he wasn?t assassinated? How do you keep that from being predictable or frustrating? Valkyrie takes on that challenge, with the added degree of difficulty that comes from casting all English-speaking actors to play the Germans involved. They pulled the same trick as Hunt for Red October where they began the film in German and then close in on Tom Cruise speaking as he slowly transitions to English. It works well enough so that I am willing to accept all the English as a stand-in for German the rest of the film. The story was handled relatively well, and while my knowledge of the actual history is spotty, it felt authentic despite some added Hollywood drama. There were loads of tense scenes as it seemed any moment the conspirators might be discovered. It was a clever way of skirting around the issue of the predetermined failure by making you question how badly they might fail and when it would be discovered. Sadly, none of the acting performances were particularly noteworthy, and I did struggle with the conclusion. So it?s not the best film in this genre, but I enjoyed the way they built tension in Valkyrie. I?d be happy to watch it again, but it?s probably not the kind of movie I need to own.
September 4, 2017
Interesting part of history I didn't know about it. I bet in real life it was less actiony though. But this was fun.
July 30, 2017
This is a really good film. Every time I watch it I hope the outcome will be different, but of course it never is. I don't think I've ever seen so many good British actors in one film. This film is tense and suspenseful without being too melodramatic. it could have done with being a bit longer and maybe a bit more in-depth, but it's still a very good film.
July 7, 2017
Again a great movie about the german history.I loved Cruise in this movie. RIP Stauffenberg.I dont know what would Hollywood do without the nazis.
June 16, 2017
This movie looked on paper as if it was going to be a WW2 classic, unfortunately it is mild film that from time to time shows potential for what could have been.
June 2, 2017
One of the best WWII and Hitler-related movies of all time!
½ June 1, 2017
story that needed to be told that not all germans were blind to the evil that was there leader and that some were willing to risk everything to try to end his life no matter if it cost them theres
May 31, 2017
A well-done war biopic that was fun and only disappointed in that it felt like it could've dug into its characters more and aimed more at an Oscar-crowd than the blockbuster fans it decided to please.
April 30, 2017
Ok Tom cruise world war 2 movie. Theirs nothing really special. Just mediocre. Nothing else to say but Tom cruise s most boring character yet.
April 29, 2017
A good suspenseful thriller and definitely worth the watch. I wouldn't rate it as much as other true story classics though!
March 25, 2017
This was a really meh movie. Very uneventful and I found the casting of Tom Cruise as a Nazi commander preposterous and the fact that he or no one even tried in the slightest doing a German accent.
March 19, 2017
(needs 30 minutes intro)

When we see that we must find away. When we see that we must share the world rather then takeover. When we can't wait to see our family, but need to see to it they are safe first. When we see all our lives are in the hands of a mad man whom he endangers all our life. When we need to see that some plans must work, when we have a light time and window of light to do so when we have him in our grasps for a moment. When we need to see that we do it correctly and right that we get the right consent, and backing.When we see that we are literally being treasonous to our country.When we come face to face with evil to see that we cannot jeopardize the mission, when they are too high to see or notice whom we are and what we do to know that some leaders need to get out. When we see we need to start some place and end up in another place to see that the plan spreads to its intended targets and works. When see we must we equipped with the most advanced hidden weaponry to easily go undetected and unnoticed.
When we see the importance of our mission to continue further into enemy lines. When we need to see our family has a safe passage out.
When we see we must inform all whom would be involved in any case protocol were to happen. When we see that our loyalties lay on one side and others on the other side when we are supposed to be on the same side to know we are not scared to bleed for our country's well being. When we can't let others see whom are not on our side, we block from seeing. When we see but don't see any chance of victory when we can't see any moves we can make when we sre blocked. When we see that such plans worked, and have the opportunity to switch sides and see to thst we salvage whatever is remaining of our country. When we can't see to any changes when we can't see if those whom are targets are, got the package. When we need to see to get confirmation, but need to act fast when we see that we don't have much time. When we need to see that we receive safe passage, see that we take full control of communications, seize full command from those whom we wish to remove. When we see there are protocols in place and there are other people in charge and resume control but unsure which side takes full responsibility. When we see that we are ready to die for country. When we don't need to see what we hear when we know which side still has the upper hand and full control when plans are still in effect and there is no going back. When we see that others had another plan in effect when our side has traitors.
When we see our plans have failed, and all means of communication is cut off when our side is too weak and the other side is too powerful when their message and broadcast is too clear and loud that we see they have already resumed control and plans are in effect that can no longer go back on. When we see we are all in or out to know we must stand on opposite sides & views when we believe to see our country a certain way. When we see we must accept defeat. When we hold each person accountable for their involvement to see they get the punishment they deserve. When it would be the last time we will see our country and loved ones again. When we see that there were others just like us that wished to see what we saw but failed too. When we see we were on the right side when our side turned evil and we had the choice of following or dieing for the side we choose.

When we wish to see that we are on the right side when the wrong side is fallen when the right side claims victory and we are seen to help with their defeat.

***************************************************************************
When all whom had a part in the war in Nazi Germany, were either for domination or preservation of Germany's future. When you need to overthrow a dictator from within. When you have to be calculated, time it just right, and send word to allies. When we are in the right position of power to do something, for a greater cause that is more then ourselves and others to handle, that we make sacrifices. When we risk alot for a better, prosperous country, without dictatorship and censoring, that we start early to rebuild what remains. When our work doesn't mean it was for nothing, and our intentions go unnoticed, we take a stronghold in history as being on the right side of justice and freedom in the fight against evil.
February 13, 2017
2/11/17 This story of the Nazis is pretty fascinating. Some of the details on what is going on and how their plan would actually work are very hazy, but it is still interesting to watch their actions unfold. I had heard about this plot through a History channel show, but that only went through the "physics" of how the main "event" in the film happened (obviously, I'm trying not to give it away). It also annoyed me at the end that they left off some key "dates" on main characters and what actually historically happened to them. It made me think, well, is that character just fabricated for the purpose of the film then? Anyway, the story is great, but I could see how some would think it could have been done better.
½ January 28, 2017
While it doesn't have the emotional weight that more accomplished films set in this period have, it sill manages to be entertaining. With moments of genuine tension peppered throughout the narrative, you find yourself almost forgetting you already know how this story ends.
½ December 18, 2016
This is a movie for History buffs. It is well made, well acted and very suspenseful, but I can see somebody who likes all those things walk away from this movie disappointed because they didn't understand all the politics and history of the story. For someone like me who is very interested in Nazi Germany history and any World War II history in general, I understood what Tom Cruise was talking about when he talked about the SS and what a "coup" was. For someone who just wants suspense and gets lost in history and political *trigger warning* mumbo jumbo, then I'd say skip this movie. You can find suspense elsewhere. For history buffs, this is a good movie to check out. Nowhere does it compare with some of the other great films that tackled the subject of Nazis, but it is a welcome addition to the World War II club. Tom Cruise is always fun to watch and Bryan Singer really brought in a ton of heavy weight actors to fill the rest of the cast. A solid movie. Check it out!
½ December 7, 2016
An alright movie. Not my favorite of Toms.
October 26, 2016
A surprisingly good Hollywood style version of a German conflict.