Valkyrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Valkyrie Reviews

October 14, 2016
Pretty solid. Takes a while to get over their being not a single German accent to be heard, but otherwise, this is decent B-level Cruise.
½ October 8, 2016
Nazis that speak with a british accent took a good few minutes to get used to. Also, Tom Cruise should not be in this film. I thought it was a little boring for quite a while too. The second half was a little better. It was ok. I doubt i will ever watch it again
August 31, 2016
dps recommended it as very good.
½ August 28, 2016
Valkyrie could have been a excellent historical thriller. However, it settles for a good entertaing thriller. Great performance by the cast, especially Tom Cruise, decent thrills, good potent action sequence, and the story was tweaked a bit, but it still was a good entertaining film.
½ August 23, 2016
Cruise as a "good" Nazi. This film is a testament to the true bombing assassination attempt on Hitler. It is good that this film was made.

Although it is a good movie and history lesson, there is some element that is missing from making this a great film. I was pondering this issue, and realized it was Cruise who was simply miscast in the leading role. An actor such as Brannaugh would have elevated the status of this film substantially, from its "forgotten" status today. Cruise just doesn't seem to be the stuff of the high-ranking Nazi officers that Hitler would have in his close circle, despite looking similar to the protagonist in real life..

The reality of the story does not make for a typical fairy tale Hollywood ending. But then again, this is the real world being depicted and wartime at that. A good film for history buffs.
August 20, 2016
A fascinating story well done!
August 7, 2016
A great true story movie with a sad ending, Bryan Singer does a good job with this one.
½ July 30, 2016
Valkyrie serves as a good platform for the true story of a group of germans that refused to submit to Nazi Germany, that absolutely needed to be shared. While admittedly the English accents get annoying, Valkyrie boasts some great performances, beautiful cinematography, and a tone that emphasizes a sense of urgency at every turn in the film. Valkyrie is worth checking out
July 28, 2016
Despite a good cast this film is cinematic faeces.
Theres just nothing going on the whole film. Its slow, its boring and its 2 hours long.
Valkyrie is a massive disappointment, a film with plenty of talking and thats it.
July 22, 2016
It's a bit slow at times, but Valkyrie is an excellent suspense thriller from Bryan Singer, beautifully shot and supporting a great performance by Tom Cruise.
June 19, 2016
When all whom had a part in the war in Nazi Germany, were either for domination or preservation of Germany's future. When you need to overthrow a dictator from within. When you have to be calculated, time it just right, and send word to allies. When we are in the right position of power to do something, for a greater cause that is more then ourselves and others to handle, that we make sacrifices. When we risk alot for a better, prosperous country, without dictatorship and censoring, that we start early to rebuild what remains. When our work doesn't mean it was for nothing, and our intentions go unnoticed, we take a stronghold in history as being on the right side of justice and freedom in the fight against evil.
½ May 30, 2016
?Tom Cruise leads a distinguised cast in Bryan Singer's engrossing dramatisation of the events surrounding an attempted assisination of Hitler and end to Nazi rule by a group of rebellious German officeirs. A rarely-told tale worth catching.
April 16, 2016
Historical drama. A number of inside attempts were made by Germans to assassinate Hitler. This movie tells the story of one of those plots. Tom Cruise leads a group of men to assassinate Hitler. Even though you know that Hitler committed suicide in real life, the movie makes you wish the outcome was different. Good story and cast. Only problem - everyone uses their own accents.
March 12, 2016
Good morning/afternoon/evening reader. This information is a review of a Tom Cruise movie that is worse than the early Mission Impossible movies. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to read on. Valkyrie opens with German text and dialogue converting to English, from the opening title, to the Nazi oath, and concluding with Colonel Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) writing in his journal about his views that got him sent to Tunisia: that Hitler is wrong, and must be removed from power for the sake of the world, and Germany (Both of which are Germany's mortal enemies). We open with an air raid that ends with Stauffenberg losing his right hand, two left-hand fingers, and his left eye. After this, he is recruited to join a kabaal hell-bent on deposing Hitler (David Bamber), led by Henning Von Tresckow (Kenneth Branagh). I think most of you know how World War II ended, so for those unlikely few who don't know, I won't say anything more on the plot. The characters, though, are lacking real development or relatability. Stauffenberg has a family that we meet once (as a whole, the wife, 2-3 times), but is never really sold as a family, and as with all historical films, they are focused more on plot and visuals than characters. Not an excuse. The picture is acceptable, as it is historically accurate (Unlike certain comic book TV shows that travel to WWII and omit the Swastika) in the basic (known) events and realistic with indoor smoking and air raids. The Nazis were record keepers, but like the number of licks it takes to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie-pop, there are some things the world may never know (Like how Stauffenberg really interacted with his family, or every conversation in planning word-for-word). The language is presented in English for our benefit, however, if you recall movies about animals that take place in the real world they actually talk in, the animals are not speaking in proper English, rather, we are having it interpreted for our enjoyment. You can just assume that the characters are conferring in German, but it's all presented to us in English (or whatever language you're watching this in) so we don't have to learn German or get confused. As always with Bryan Singer, John Ottman edits, but more importantly, does the score. It does the story service and is placed where it should be. Valkyrie is good, but does not belong among the greats of historical cinema, because the acting is stale, and doesn't feel as genuine as hits like Lincoln. Do not hail this as something to watch for fun, but see it as something to be shown in history class to kill time and learn about World War II.
February 16, 2016
Want to see it but only because of the good story line, the cast looks very disappointing - at least Bill Nighly and Carice van Houten is in that's something!
½ February 8, 2016
A solid film but nothing spectacular. I have rewatched it a few times and I haven't regretted doing so. The cast is stellar and tells a fascinating story.
February 7, 2016
Will wait till video though
½ January 22, 2016
Achingly tragic, tensely paced, impeccably acted, artfully filmed, evocatively scored and historically poignant, "Valkyrie" is a remarkably underrated and underappreciated film that tells the powerful true story of the July 20 coup against Hitler. Singer's direction is phenomenal here, drawing out tension for a story we already know the end to, but somehow that makes the entire endeavor all the more compelling. I still don't understand the muted response this film has received, as it deserves much more.
January 11, 2016
Valkyrie is a boring historical film, with boring characters, and a boring story.
I know what happens even before I start this film.
½ December 8, 2015
A potentially deep historical drama settles for being a generic action film amongst some historic happenings. Seems wrong that a bunch of Germans would speaking English the whole time. Very Hollywood. I understand it would hard to get people to read subtitles but, fuck, people should eat their veggies goddammit.