Vie privée (A Very Private Affair) Reviews

• May 17, 2016

martin.hillstad@gmail.com

martin.hillstad@gmail.com

• Dec 05, 2013

"If you love me, I feel strong. If you're close to me, I'm not afraid. If you stop thinking in me, I stop living." That's the best and the lonely thing in the movie. I am disappointed to watch Brigitte Bardot and Marcello Mastroianni in this unsatisfying pretentious drama of Louis Malle. The tax of stardom, boring of fame, curious paparazzi, fans and contracts.. That's all. "Jill" (Bardot) the ambitious girl, who began as a ballerina, then she left her mother to Paris being a model then a movie star. The stardom make her life changed that at the pinnacle of her fame she felt in despair and sickness and tried to run away where no one was to help her except for "Fabio" (Mastroianni) a separated husband of her friend Carla and a talented playmaker trying to lead her own career. I couldn't understand as "Jill" is not accepting these paparazzi, why she didn't forbid her old friend "Alain" from publishing her photos, to be out again for reporter and ignited her life again. Much things are not convincing here any way. Totally tedious non-attractive story about paparazzi, not about a love affair! It's too exaggerative, in a way or another I supposed this "Jill" was Lady Diana! No nice chemistry between Bardot & Mastroianni. Nice locations and editing, with discomforting repetitive music. It's not one of Malle's best for sure. I don't hate it, but it's not preferable.

• Dec 01, 2011

As with many French New Wave films, I spent much of the running time going back and forth on whether I admired or was annoyed by it. It certainly has a unique style - with it's narration and disjointed storytelling. But the core of the film is hollow, Brigitte Bardot and Marcello Mastroianni develop zero chemistry. Stylish and Interesting, but unsatisfying.

• Jun 01, 2011

Not the best Bardot film. ...though she was gorgeous in it as always.

Not the best Bardot film. ...though she was gorgeous in it as always.

• Sep 29, 2010

Bardot plays a very famous movie star who wants to be left alone from the press and public. She meets up with a man who dated a friend of hers but have since lost contact. The man played by Mastroianni is a successful arts magazine editor and play director. The two begin an affair shut out from the world but they soon must venture out again. Bardot's character is a little over-the-top, and there is not much chemistry between the two leads - the bad English dubbing does not help. The pace is rather slow. But despite this, Malle does spin an evolution of an affair under unique circumstances.

• Mar 01, 2008

A 1962 French film directed by Louis Malle, starring Brigitte Bardot and Marcello Mastroianni, semi-autobiographical film of BB's life, grreat impression of the 60's ...

• Feb 04, 2008

Genuine Bardot beauty with Mastrogianni's meditteranean performance make the movie a precious seeing! And, yes BB is the ideal blonde! :)

• Nov 30, 2007

my fav from louis malle ... this film has the added bonus of including french bombshell brigette bardot. there really isnt much more to say here. recommended if you can find an outlet for seeing it.

• Oct 26, 2007

not on DVD yet, i had the luck to catch it twice on tele. marcello and bb have great chemistry. many consider this a parallel biography of bb's life.

• Oct 18, 2007

A great movie, staring an excellent Mastroianni and Bardot - all you ever need to see about the spell and curse of fame. And yes: shows that Paparazzi were not just a recent invention for a conspiracy to hunt down Princess Diana. ;-)