Virginia City Reviews

• Jul 23, 2020

Thank God John Ford eventually took these kind of movies to a more interesting place. Don't get me wrong, like a lot of Curtiz's films, this is gorgeously shot with a great admiration for the genre, but never wants to address any of the inevitable themes that come with that territory, like John Ford and Clint Eastwood would do. Humphrey Bogart is a Mexican in this. So yeah.

• May 13, 2020

Good western with a great cast. Flynn is dashing as always. Rare to see Hopkins in a western riding a horse and dancing in a saloon in a chorus line. And Bogart's moustache and Mexican accent are priceless.

• Mar 03, 2019

I'm easily pleased when I see this collection of actors from this era doing thier best in a western with an interesting plot. This is a movie that I could watch more than once. You know, I think I'll check it out again for a third time ð~

• Dec 02, 2017

Good movie with some big stars, Erik Flynn, Randolph Scott and mlre

Good movie with some big stars, Erik Flynn, Randolph Scott and mlre

• Nov 08, 2017

Star studded grand film which nearly has too many plot points to follow.

Star studded grand film which nearly has too many plot points to follow.

• May 02, 2017

In the last scene of "Dodge City" Errol Flynn is headed to Virginia City (with his new wife DeHavilland" ) to clean it up like he did in Dodge. Implying this film is a sequel-like follow up was exciting until one realized what crap they have come up with. Flynn goes from cattleman-to-sheriff to escaped con and using a cast of big names can't save it. The war was over in Dodge but apparently not in Virginia City. While Dodge City was a masterpiece of the times, this one is 100% pure garbage IMHO.

• Nov 29, 2014

141229: Some serious firepower here and I'm not talking about the weapons. Classic cinema featuring some of the biggest stars of the era. Slight flaws in this harsh (ask Cobby Gill Age 11), twisted tale but easy to overlook during the action packed struggle between The North, The South and a bunch of common criminals. The happy ending seems forced to me, a bit too dramatic, but I enjoyed this behind the front lines tale of the civil war. Now I'll be moving along, or backtracking I guess, to Dodge City (1939).

• Nov 14, 2014

I really enjoyed this glance at the near-end of the Civil War by Michael Curtiz, who shows his directorial diversity with this historical Western. Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott and Humphrey Bogart are especially good in their roles. I haven't seen Dodge City--which this I've heard is the sequel for--but am looking forward to checking that film out, too. Highly recommended, especially for Errol Flynn and Civil War fans.

• Jun 16, 2014

Vance Irby (Randolph Scott) is a Confederate officer tasked with sneaking a load of gold out of Virginia City and safely to the south. Kerry Bradford (Errol Flynn) is the Union spy trying to grab the gold for the north. Also on the trail of the gold is a Mexican bandit (a ridiculously miscast Humphrey Bogart). Saloon singer Julia Hayne (Miriam Hopkins) is torn between two loves--the south and Bradford. A solid western overall with some nice scenery (albeit in black and white).

• Nov 04, 2013

All I want is a pocket full of rocks. Union Officer Kerry Bradford escapes prison and encounters an eccentric woman from Virginia City, Nevada. He agrees to return to the city with her, but she will only allow him to follow her if he promises to not ask any questions. Shortly after arriving in her home town, he discovers that $5 million in gold is being sent though the town to save the confederacy. Will Bradford get involved in this money or will he stay under the radar with his new found friend? "Are you going to visit your wife?" "No. I was running away from her...and fast too." Michael Curtiz, director of Casablanca, White Christmas, Mildred Pierce, The Adventures of Robin Hood, the Vagabond King, Yankee Doodle Dandee, and Captain Blood, delivers Virginia City. The storyline for this picture is pretty good with dynamic characters and a good ending (a bit sad, but good). The settings were very well done and the film had a war and western feel at the same time. The acting was very good and the cast includes Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott, Humphrey Bogart, and Alan Hale. "I thought I'd let you work out your own punishment." "That's amusing." I DVR'd this picture last May off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) for two reasons: it is directed by one of my all time favorite directors, the great Michael Curtiz, and it also has one of the all time great actors, Errol Flynn. Curtiz took a huge risk of mixing the two genres, the war drama and the western action pictures, and pulled it off. Flynn does a great job of battling his demons while participating in great shootouts. This isn't my favorite film by either stakeholder, but it is an entertaining picture with great characters and a magnificent ending. "Can't you see this is murder?" Grade: B