In Old Oklahoma (War of the Wildcats) Reviews

• Oct 16, 2020

An entertaining western from 1943. 'War of the Wildcats' held my interest from start-to-finish, I really enjoyed seeing the oil-themed premise unfold. There are good performances from John Wayne (Daniel), Martha Scott (Catherine) and Albert Dekker (Jim). The action sequences are nicely done, also. Some elements of the story are, obviously, outdated, especially to do with Scott's Catherine who isn't written incredibly; except for at the beginning, I guess. Although, in those terms, it does feature a mostly pleasant story regarding Native Americans, which is something you don't always see from these old films. By the end, I had an enjoyable 102 minutes watching this. Well paced and well acted.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Jun 15, 2018

Albert Dekker as the heavy does quite a lot for this story about the expansion over Native lands by the growing oil concerns (which literally is still happening!). He's an even match for the Duke, who usually flattens all resistance effortlessly. Although often stilted and awkward by and large this turn-of-the-century look at greed run amuck holds interest. Not bad.

• Sep 29, 2012

A slightly lower than average film that has some good moments despite the fact that John Wayne is in it and he is acting.

• Apr 13, 2012

Oklahoma, the only reason Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf. Oklahoma sucks.

Oklahoma, the only reason Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf. Oklahoma sucks.

• Mar 17, 2011

fun enough, with some good performances, its entertaining and is well paced out

fun enough, with some good performances, its entertaining and is well paced out

• May 06, 2010

Very much an out-of-the-mould 'new guy in town gets the better of the local big cheese and wins back the girl' type of movie he turned out in the 40's. Pretty good fun, if very dated.

• May 12, 2009

Even though the characters are very one dimensional, the plot is a progressive latter day western which has pace and interest throughout, Wayne remains his usual self throughout, often unrecognisable to other Republic films of the time.

• Mar 11, 2009

Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor

Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor

• Dec 11, 2008

can't beat the old black and white films. good film worth a watch.

can't beat the old black and white films. good film worth a watch.

• Jan 31, 2006

Decent but pretty average John Wayne western. The story is fine, the acting so-so. Nothing outstanding at all about the film, but it is well made and there is nothing awful about it either.