What's Up, Tiger Lily? - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

What's Up, Tiger Lily? Reviews

February 18, 2016
L'idée de remonter un film entièrement en redoublant ses dialogues pour en faire une comédie parodique débile n'est pas souvent utilisée. Quand on voit What's Up, Tiger Lily, facile de comprendre pourquoi. Comme d'habitude dans ce genre-là, la comédie n'est drôle qu'une petite demi-heure, le temps que l'intrigue parodique se mette en place. Il se trouve que dans ce film en particulier, le doublage est particulièrement performant et malgré quelques passages à vide, l'ensemble est assez sympathique pour tenir les 75 minutes du métrage. Cependant, ce sont encore les scènes avec Woody Allen à l'écran qui sont les plus réussies. Et elles ne sont malheureusement que deux, au début et à la fin. Dommage.
October 8, 2015
Woody Allen's debut would have him dub over two existing Japanese spy movies in an attempt at a hilarious dub. There are some hilarious moments, but less often than you'd expect. Perhaps if he didn't pause the movie to have a love affair and wrote more strange dialogue, it would be more funny. The result is a mildly entertaining dub at best, but you can see better stuff on youtube.
½ July 21, 2015
It's entertaining with its gag-filled humor, but better, funnier comedies definitely exist.
½ July 7, 2015
While a bit childish, it's still good for a few laughs.
½ December 22, 2014
Hilarious. Woody was setting the pace for his unique style while experimenting with different comedic styles. The dialogue is brilliant and original in every sense
½ October 15, 2014
Review:
Were the hell do I start with this movie? It has to be one of the weirdest movies that I have seen this year. When I first started to watch this film, I was tempted to switch it off because it was awful and in another language but after Woody Allen comes on screen and explains what the movie is about, it then begins in English and the dubbing is swapped for humour. The film does take some time to get going, but once it does, you can't help but laugh at the way that Woody Allen cleverly changes the original script. Some of the voices cracked me up and the whole search for the recipe concept was ridiculous but funny. The original Japanese movie was REALLY bad but when it gets mixed up with Woody Allen's warped sense of humour, it will have you in stitches. You really have to take this film with a pinch of salt and try and remember that it was Woody Allen's first movie as a director, even though he didn't have any actors to direct. You will find it hard to keep up with the storyline, which is mentioned during the movie, but it's definitely worth a watch just for its pure stupidity. Proper Strange!

Round-Up:
If anyone was asked to remake this poor Japanese movie, I'm sure they would have turned down the project straight away, but Allen used his brain and produced a watchable movie that is funny and original. The silly noises that the main character makes when he's fighting were a great addition to this strange film, along with the strange voices of the gangsters and the weird guy with the cobra who was going to marry a chicken. Don't Ask! Anyway, I'm not going to say that this was a masterpiece that was a complete work of genius, but I will say that Woody Allen made a decent remake from a bad original. If your a Woody Allen fan then you really have to watch this movie.

Budget: $400,000
Worldwide Gross: N/A

I recommend his movie to people who are into there badly made Japanese movies with a Woody Allen dubbed script. 5/10
½ August 3, 2014
This is not one of the good Woody Allen films, but it's just an okay entry in his body of work.
July 11, 2014
It was a bit funny, but the movie was very confusing and very badly structured. I loved the funny one-liners though.
March 11, 2014
Woody Allen's directorial debut is actually a japanese action spy flick, with rearranged scenes and an overdubbed soundtrack, that changes the plot into a search for the perfect egg salad. It has it's funny moments, but it is certainly flawed. The addition of the Lovin' Spoonful performing is pointless and rather boring, clearly there just to stretch the runtime. Their addition was not something Allen wanted or agreed with, but I guess it at least it convinced him to demand final cut on all subsequent features.
March 5, 2014
The original film gives the impression of being silly, the dubbing made by Allen to turn it into a comedy is quite tedious and rarely funny.
November 2, 2013
Do you like Mystery Science Theatre 3000? Egg salad? The jovial music of A Loving Spoonful? This movie is for you.
October 15, 2013
Really good fun. Woody Allen overdubs this bad Japanese spy movie from the 60's and makes it even more ridiculous, and the results are pretty hilarious. Also fun to see The Lovin' Spoonful in this movie, as much of the soundtrack is by them. Good stuff.
September 28, 2013
Qué bueno es Woody Allen (y desde chiquito).
½ June 17, 2013
I like the concept of this and wanted to like the film itself, but I found it to be more miss that hit. There were sporadic moments of mismatched dialogue and visual that made me laugh out loud, but overall I think this is a flawed effort that shows Allen was still learning the ropes, and I agree with him that the inclusion of The Lovin' Spoonful (against his wishes) was unnecessary.
March 18, 2013
A few years before Allen became good, then great. its funny here and there and hilarious at a few occasions, but is not a complete success. still worth a try, to hear woody allen at the embryonic stages of his wits. His early years are also where he is painfully mysoginist to the point its embarassing (that is, more than in his later years).
March 15, 2013
An unexpectedly funny as hell movie that takes a look at japenese stereotypes in films. Whats Up Tiger Lily is the debut of Woody Allen who would later make Annie hall and Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex. He took a japenese film about spies and dubbed it into a movie about a secret egg salad recipe which leads to hilarity. A very funny movie that exploits the stereotypes to the max. Hilarious!

88/100 B+
March 15, 2013
Didn't laugh much, I watched it in French first and it seemed funnier.