When the Sea Rises (Quand la Mer Monte...) Reviews

• Jan 19, 2016

bittersweet is the word for it, very sweet but, as in Sholem Aleykhem's writings "laughter through tears." A comedy on the surface, with all the infinite solitude of the human condition hiding behind it. Wonderful acting by the female lead. She is able, quietly and with her back to camera, to convey the entire film in th way she delivers her last five words.

• Dec 08, 2013

This is a film done with a lot of love from amazing actress Yolande Moreau turned director for this slice of adventure in the life of Irene an actress who travels in the north of France with a very funny one woman show. One night she meets Dries & funny characters. This is a beautiful little film full of humanity and love.... a great one really!

• Mar 31, 2011

This attempt at quirkiness works and doesn't work. The story is about a comediennes life on the road(based on the film's star Yolande Moreau's experiences as a traveling peformer in the 1980's)who becomes romantically involved with a member of her audience. The movie works when the lead is on stage doing her standup routine, because it looked interesting and fun. She wears a weird face mask, has bloodstained arms, shoots a water pistol at the audience and tells a tale of crime committed against a lover. That is interesting. Unfortuately, the romance which is the centerpiece of the movie. The acting is good, but I don't know enough about Moreau's character before she meets her romantic interest, so when she comes out of her shell to start a relationship with this guy, so much remains a mystery. We know more about her stage persona than the real person. It could have been much better.

• Jan 05, 2011

LOVED it. Wonderful lead actress, a woman with talent that she has developed, a mature, accomplished woman. Their romance touches the heart. Not a movie for folks who need a lot of action or plot. For people who love to watch people, it's the best.

• Sep 15, 2010

"I'm torn between a sugar waffle and a romance." "Take the waffle!"

"I'm torn between a sugar waffle and a romance." "Take the waffle!"

• Jul 04, 2010

Un film tendre qui permet une succulente mise en abime des rôles habituellement donnés à Yolande Moreau. Enfin, Quand la Mer Monte reste sagement dans les rails des films "nordistes" et ne fait pas de miracles, mais le charme opère.

• Apr 09, 2010

I got why people loved this film and it won a Caesar. I enjoyed visiting working class Belgium for an hour and a half and it had some killer cinematography. I saw a screening of this with the clearly gifted director but it was one of the French films that, had I not seen it in a theatre, it would have taken me three sittings to watch. Plus, did anyone else think Dries was just plain creepy?

• Apr 17, 2009

quand on est dech nord c'est a voir rien que pour la recette de la tarte tatin

quand on est dech nord c'est a voir rien que pour la recette de la tarte tatin

• Mar 12, 2009

Caught this by chance a few years ago at Cinema Village. Went on spec w/ a friend and we were delightfully surprised. Yolande Moreau, a Belgian actress starred in and w/ Gilles Porte, wrote and directed this intriguing, very personal film. Catch it.

• Jan 11, 2009

c'est quoi l'amour? ce que vivent Irène et cet étrange attachant pathétique inquiétant. comédie romantique sans artifice, humour grinçant.