Whisky Reviews

• Aug 14, 2019

As Uruguayan, I think this movie is one of the best pieces of our cinema. With few dialogues, the story in Whisky is brilliantly showed. While it seems that little happened, everything is happening, making the subtext always present but never explicit, in a way as simple as exquisite.

• Jul 21, 2015

This is a melancholic and bitter-sweet drama from Uruguay. Jacobo and Herman are estranged brothers, both of whom are in the hosiery business. Whilst Jacobo has remained in Uruguay to run the family factory, turning out the kind of socks that an elderly uncle would probably consider dowdy, Herman has moved to Brazil and produces more upbeat, jazzy designs. Marta, works for Jacobo and lives a life of seemingly endless drudgery and routine. Following the death of their mother, the brothers are reunited in order to oversee the funerary rites. The only problem is that Jacobo is meant to have a wife and she has gone astray. In order to save face, Jacobo enlists the help of Marta to pose as his wife during his brothers stay. The trio head off to enjoy the delights of a run down hotel in the coastal town of Piriápolis and little by little, Marta begins to come out of her shell. This film is quite a find and I loved the oh-so-slow way in which the story unfolds. The dialogue is sparse and the settings down at heel. Many questions are posed and left unresolved but the observation of the three main characters is simply brilliant. Mirella Pascual is superb as Marta and you can really see that beneath her downtrodden exterior, is an impish sense of fun just wanting to burst out. For me, she is the star of the show and her acting is closely observed ad totally enchanting. I watched this movie on a whim having no idea of what it was about and not having heard of the directors or actors. I'm so glad to have seen it as it is something a bit different and really hit a chord. On the strength of Whisky, I'd certainly like to see more.

• Jan 02, 2014

I remember watching this curious film at the movies in Paris thinking it was very unusual, funny even though it's not really a funny comedy but the characters are so well written and the cast is so great it's just really good to watch something so unusual coming from the always challenging Spanish cinema.

• Mar 28, 2013

Smart, beautiful, touching and simply loveable

Smart, beautiful, touching and simply loveable

• Dec 21, 2012

An interesting quiet little film

An interesting quiet little film

• May 23, 2012

It's been my favourite film ever since i first saw it.

It's been my favourite film ever since i first saw it.

• Jan 26, 2012

4 - Juan Pablo Rebella and Pablo Stoll's follow-up to the equally brilliant "25 Watts" is a delightfully deadpan, understated comedy drama. Andres Pazos is a lonely sock factory owner who asks his employee MIrella Pascual to act as his wife during his obnoxious brother's visit from Brazil. Very funny, but never for obvious reasons, this is a masterpiece in subtlety and nuance, helped in great part by the superb performances from the leads. Sadly, Rebella's last film before his death by suicide - a great loss for Uruguayan cinema.

• Dec 08, 2011

This Uruguayian deadpan "drama" namechecks Aki Kaurismaki in the end credits and it does share someof the Kaurismaki DNA. A slice of life drama played for wry laughs and melancholy. Rebella and Stoll go a step further in making their apparent lead character, sock factory owner Jacobo resistant to change and opportunity to the end, with only his dogged secretary Marta developing as a person and breaking her routine through their farcical sham marriage. The film is well performed by the lead trio, and perfectly crafted with an ending that, for such a low-key film, leaves much to the imagination.

• Sep 03, 2011

Fiquei um pouco chateado... filme deprê total pagando pinta de dark-comedy. :-\

Fiquei um pouco chateado... filme deprê total pagando pinta de dark-comedy. :-\

• Aug 21, 2011

You wouldn't think there'd be a lot to recommend about a film set in a sock factory in Uruguay but this is utterly charming and wryly funny