Whisky Reviews

• Oct 05, 2020

Some stories don't need to be told, and this is one of them. It could have - and should have - been edited down to about 20 minutes; and even then it would have likely just been mediocre. Quite possibly the only piece of film cut from this movie was a 90-second shot of a secondary character brushing their teeth. And I really wanted to like it too. Oh well, hopefully the filmmakers didn't have to pay too much for their awards.

• Apr 24, 2020

PIECE OF SHIT !!! BORING MOVIE WITH BORING ACTORS !!!!

PIECE OF SHIT !!! BORING MOVIE WITH BORING ACTORS !!!!

• Mar 01, 2020

good movie, it makes you be unconfortable, and does it really well

good movie, it makes you be unconfortable, and does it really well

• Feb 24, 2020

Sin climax, con un final inconcluso y toda la película me quede esperando la "comedia"

• Feb 18, 2020

It's so simple yet so beautiful. Without too much details it tells a lot. Silence is a huge protagonist.

• Jan 27, 2020

Piece of S*&$#@t, really Rotten

Piece of S*&$#@t, really Rotten

• Aug 14, 2019

As Uruguayan, I think this movie is one of the best pieces of our cinema. With few dialogues, the story in Whisky is brilliantly showed. While it seems that little happened, everything is happening, making the subtext always present but never explicit, in a way as simple as exquisite.

• Jul 21, 2015

This is a melancholic and bitter-sweet drama from Uruguay. Jacobo and Herman are estranged brothers, both of whom are in the hosiery business. Whilst Jacobo has remained in Uruguay to run the family factory, turning out the kind of socks that an elderly uncle would probably consider dowdy, Herman has moved to Brazil and produces more upbeat, jazzy designs. Marta, works for Jacobo and lives a life of seemingly endless drudgery and routine. Following the death of their mother, the brothers are reunited in order to oversee the funerary rites. The only problem is that Jacobo is meant to have a wife and she has gone astray. In order to save face, Jacobo enlists the help of Marta to pose as his wife during his brothers stay. The trio head off to enjoy the delights of a run down hotel in the coastal town of Piriápolis and little by little, Marta begins to come out of her shell. This film is quite a find and I loved the oh-so-slow way in which the story unfolds. The dialogue is sparse and the settings down at heel. Many questions are posed and left unresolved but the observation of the three main characters is simply brilliant. Mirella Pascual is superb as Marta and you can really see that beneath her downtrodden exterior, is an impish sense of fun just wanting to burst out. For me, she is the star of the show and her acting is closely observed ad totally enchanting. I watched this movie on a whim having no idea of what it was about and not having heard of the directors or actors. I'm so glad to have seen it as it is something a bit different and really hit a chord. On the strength of Whisky, I'd certainly like to see more.

• Jan 02, 2014

I remember watching this curious film at the movies in Paris thinking it was very unusual, funny even though it's not really a funny comedy but the characters are so well written and the cast is so great it's just really good to watch something so unusual coming from the always challenging Spanish cinema.

• Mar 28, 2013