White Lies Reviews

• Erin C Super Reviewer
    Nov 02, 2014

Really bad acting. I figured this one out almost immediately.

Really bad acting. I figured this one out almost immediately.

• Sep 11, 2013

[size=4][b][img]http://images.greencine.com/images/movies/188105.jpg[/img] Love My Face, Love My Race: [/b][size=2]Sarah Polly is the interesting lead in this Canadian TV movie about an alienated high school girl who finds acceptance through some rather stylized internet chat rooms featuring some members of the NIM movement, which I will redub Nazi's In Making for fun. Ridiculed by a speaker in front a school assembly for perhaps having racial prejudice when she mourns not getting a job flipping burgers due to inability to speak Mandarin (or was it Cantonese? shit..I must be a racist for forgetting! heh), her reaction is to write a paper on her frustrations that is given a F in class. Posting it on the internet as "Hot Head", the NIM people think they have found their voice and she is lured in by a $50 contest they put up. Off to a party with some "normal" looking people, and I give the film credit for not immediately ramming us into a scene filled with raving and violent radicals, and she is loving the feeling of fitting in. The tale then follows her rise in the ranks, and then gets into more predictable territory with Nazi skinhead punk band rallys and cross burning campouts. Of course, Polly begins to find doubts and experience the ugly side of it, and the ending won't surprise anybody. The down side here is that the poor old internet takes another beating as a dangerous moral cesspool, and some very stereotyped characters start to emerge. No doubt these types exist to be modelled on, but as entertainment it is wearying. Sarah Polly, on the other hand, is so damn cute I stayed until the end. Every look she presents in the film is hot in a quite "natural" fashion. (Even Canadian TV movies employ skilled makeup artists, I know.) [img]http://www.northernstars.ca/media2/polley09.jpg[/img] Looking at her [url="http://www.tribute.ca/bio.asp?id=2501"]filmography[/url], I see she has worked with Atom Egoyan and David Cronenburg. She was in Dawn of the Dead in 2004, so now I might watch it. I have seen The Hanging Garden, and didn't notice her. How could that be? [img]http://www.snowboll.org/babes/sarahpolly.jpg[/img] I dig this chick. Now, I will allow my natural iconoclasm to work on breaking her down, so I can hate her. Once I hate a female celebrity, in information you all just MUST have, then they solidly enter into masturbation fantasy territory. Yes, I am a vile and lowly piece of human filth. Religion taught me that. What else would you expect a member of the uneducated lower classes to be? I think I should add (First World) in brackets behind my new catch phrase, as I should keep it in proper perspective. Go, Sarah Polly, Go, you cold, inaccessable, talented bitch. I never knew thee. Anyway, since I do not yet have any shots of her backside, on to the next movie... [img]http://www.arts.monash.edu.au/visual_culture/images/praise.jpg[/img] [b][size=4]Diffusive Effusive: [/size][/b][size=4][size=2]Austrailian film about a young slacker who lives in a shithole apartment, despairing of motivation until the day that his old acquaintance rings him up. She is a nymphomaniac with eczema, so of course they fall in love. Or do they? Shit happens, then they die. Or I was hoping they would. Really, there isn't too much going on here. A character study? I guess. Fuck, I already am a slacker, so I don't need to watch romantic dramas about them. [img]http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005UBPM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img] [size=4][b]What's All the Rage?: [/b][size=2]Finally I see this movie, and all throughout the telecast there were interviews telling me how great it was, and how dedicated Deniro was, how Jake LaMotta was flattered by it, and basically a person would have to be a fool not to see how bloody brilliant it was. More the fool am I. Now, I am not here to argue against the artistic merit. I am not here to disavow any claim that it does the emotional turmoil of an athlete (which I wouldn't know about) justice. I have no complaints of Scorsese's direction. Whatever I was expecting, though, this was not it. I haven't a doubt it skillfully tells the story, but I just wasn't too interested in it. One person interviewed called it a "hard film to watch", and perhaps that is what bothers me. If so, let this 6 be an incongruity of my ratings character. The fact that I cannot seem to develop what it is I do not like should be partial testimony. [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

• Sep 11, 2013

loved this movie looking for it on dvd.

loved this movie looking for it on dvd.

• Oct 08, 2011

Vous savez, à chaque années, plusieurs films sortent et nous entendons malheureusement parler que de ceux qui ont le budget pour en faire la publicité. Un paquet d'autres films passent donc dans l'oublie. Je dis malheureusement, puisque parmi ces méconnus ce trouve des perles rares qui auraient bien mérités d'être vu par un plus grand public. White Lies (alias Snowbound) ne fait absolument pas partie de ceux-là! C'est un film pourri, très cliché, prévisible et nous comprenons parfaitement pourquoi il n'a pas connu plus de succès!

• Dec 01, 2009

like this movie too!

like this movie too!

• Oct 17, 2008

Todentuntuinen elokuva, onnistunut tavoittamaan jotain olennaista lahkoista ja niihin liittymisesta. Sarah Polley on todella hyva tassa..

• Aug 29, 2008

"We're so afraid of offending someone we've dumped our own culture. If you ask me, trading Jesus for Frosty the Snowman was a bum deal." "If you're white you're automatically racist unless you struggle against it" The start of this movie and the end of it are like two different movies. In the beginning it's all about the whites who are persecuted and how their voice needs to be heard. In the end it shows the nazis as killing thugs. It's really similar to 'American History X'. This was pretty dead on. Anyone who's proud of their country or says anything about how they're pissed off that English is becoming a second language and how white's are becoming the minority are instantly labeled racist. Maybe they are, but "racist" or not they should be as protected as anyone else. They have the right to speak out and say whatever the hell they want to. Free speech shouldn't just cover shit that people want to hear. This is a movie about people who get persecuted for standing up or what they believe in. (The messed up part is that if they were any other race other than white this would be a 5 star movie, right?) The first half isn't a typical skinhead movie, and if ever was a pro-nationalist movie this is it. It advocates non-violence but still holds onto it's values which is pretty hard to do. In the end, though, it's the same as every other one, the skinheads turn psycho and start the killing. Then everything they fought for is negated by the stupidity of the few. (in real life all skinheads are killing nazis, Martin didn't kill anyone...) One after thought, if you hate skinheads... how is your racism any better than theirs? (yeah yeah yeah skinheads are not a race, but you get the point). In the end this movie was pretty great. I thought the skinhead community was into this, but it really doesn't show them in a good light at the end...