White Lightnin' Reviews

• Aug 02, 2017

Loosely inspired by the life of Jesco White, Dominic Murphy's feature film debut is a nightmarish journey into the underworld of Appalachia.

• May 08, 2014

Although well-filmed with some beautiful black and white scenes, the question here is why? Why would someone who so ruined his life be glorified in a film like this? The dancing was interesting and the main reason I watched this film. I could see the connection between this form and Irish step dancing, such as Lord of the Dance, or even James Cagney's style in Yankee Doodle Dandy. But the rest of the film made Appalachia seem the haunt of just poverty (which is true} and horrendous drug use and violence (which I'm sure is not the whole story). I'm sure Jesco White's story is not unique, but I wonder if it is the rule, either. From the people we see in this film, Appalachia is a place one would want to stay as far away from as the worst slums of New York City or L.A. Between this film and Deliverance, I think native Appalachians should lobby Hollywood to give them better image.

• Jan 09, 2014

The early years entertaining,the middle years amussing and the last years bewildering....the end was unsatisfying

• Aug 29, 2013

A demonic tragedy that is shot differently but mostly sloppily. Begins better then it ends and derails far from the true story.

• Feb 02, 2013

Crazy acid trip of a movie. Its more of a horrific nightmare than anything. Insane!

• Nov 25, 2012

How the hell did I miss this and find it for the first time surfing NETFLIX? great movie based on the DANCIN' OUTLAW : JESCO WHITE... took a VERY dark approach and was a great watch, VERY COOL soundtrack with a lot of HASIL ATKINS ,,,, the guy that played Jesco really reminded me of a young Bruce Campbell as well, cant recommend this enough, It would be in your best interest to seek out THE DANCIN' OUTLAW first though and learn about Jesco first though ...

• Aug 30, 2012

I probably would have liked this film more had it not been in any way related to The Dancing Outlaw. The very few actual biographical details taken from Jesco White's life are completely gratuitous to the story being told. It could have been anyone. However, the film itself is beautifully put together and very well-acted even if it is pure exploitation.

• Aug 25, 2012

Great performance by Hogg. Shot well. Good all around.

Great performance by Hogg. Shot well. Good all around.

• Jul 11, 2012

Jesco White uses tap dancing to keep his demons at bay. At the tender age of six, he started getting high by huffing gasoline and stolen lighter fluid. Growing up, Jesco often found himself shuffling between reform schools, work camps, and his home in West Virginia-until his father, famous mountain dancer D. Ray White, taught him how to tap. Black and white photography is used to great affect in 'White Lightnin'. The black and white is mixed with a very slight colour tint at times, notice the scene which Jesco confronts a group of bullies and the switch knife he is holding is blue and the rest of the shot in still in black and white. This give the film an overall impressive cinematography. Eward Hogg is fine as the lead, selecting an interesting unhinged performance where you don't quite know when he will turn from a nice talented dancer to a violent individual. Also a special note must go to Owen Campbell who is impressive as the young Jesco. Sadly the only other character to get a worthy part is Carrie Fisher who is value for money as the the wife who abandons her family to party with the laudably unhinged Hogg. The odd ball quality is somewhat miss leading, with the film sometimes varying off into madness, with the closing section of the film a prime example. Also the narration can get a bit too dependent on tell the story. Still these are minor irritations to an otherwise interesting at times individual piece of cinema

• Jun 28, 2012

I would have to say this is one of the best movies I've seen in a very very long time and not because he's related, because he is very convincing at being absolutely bats**t crazy. The sound track was equally disturbing and I hope to see more of Ed Hogg. Wow...........