Wise Guys Reviews

• Nov 30, 2018

i thought this was pretty funny

i thought this was pretty funny

• Nov 13, 2016

I had somehow never seen this Brian DePalma comedy from the 80's, so decided to give it a shot. I am glad I did, I found it to be pretty entertaining. Danny DeVito and Joe Piscopo star as two low level gangsters in New Jersey who work for a crime boss played by Dan Hedaya. They continually get into trouble with him and are pursued by the enforcer played by none other than Captain Lou Albano who is over the top, but hilarious. Harvey Keitel also has a small supporting role, and even Martin Scorsese's parents briefly turn up in this. The film didn't get good reviews upon release, and DePalma has somewhat disowned it, but I find sometimes some distance from a film's release can help it, and for me that was the case with this film. I found it to be a fun easy watch and think that it's worth checking out.

• Aug 14, 2016

Unfunny and annoying.

Unfunny and annoying.

• Dec 09, 2015

Once you cut through the trivia of organised crime semi-hilarious cliche , you are left with a warm hearted friendship between two blokes that transcends life an death. Not a perfect movie, but ultimately that friendship makes it both watchable and enjoyable.

• Sep 29, 2015

Not bad for a mid-80ies comedy, and certainly a great vehicle for DeVito. He has nice chemistry with Piscopo, who I think is always a bit bland, but here the Goofy role suits him well. What I really didn't like was the supporting cast, I mean the Atlantic city family, that granny character, seriously?? Or the former wrestler-gone-acteur, the Fixer, shouting/ growling his lines more than he rolls his eyes or looks for clues off-camera when he has to make his next impression of an angry were-bear-pig. I honestly can stand the other nondescript mobsters better. And thanks Dan Hedaya, once again. The world of gangster flicks would be so much greyer without you.

• Apr 19, 2015

There were a few chuckle worthy moments to be found here, but overall the film was not very good. Danny DeVito is the best part about this film, but it is far from his best work.

• Dec 25, 2013

Very funny. Devito is witty and hilarious. Classic buddy comedy.

Very funny. Devito is witty and hilarious. Classic buddy comedy.

• Nov 28, 2013

I can watch this move over and over. All Star Cast. Mafia Stories are always interesting. I must have watched this Movie like 12 times so far.

• Sep 05, 2013

A little quirky , but funny.

A little quirky , but funny.