Woman Walks Ahead Reviews

• Dec 03, 2019

Yes, it's a bit romanticized. OK, a lot. Still loved it.

Yes, it's a bit romanticized. OK, a lot. Still loved it.

• Oct 11, 2019

Woman Walks Ahead is a dramatic biopic about Caroline Weldon, the woman who painted a portrait of Sitting Bull, and in the process became a staunch defender of the Lakota tribe of Native Americans. It is on the borderline of being a white savior movie, which feels terribly outdated, but I suppose enough of the power in the relationship lies in Sitting Bull’s hands. Jessica Chastain is somewhat bland in the lead role, which I never thought I would say about her. She struggles with an accent that seems to turn on and off regularly, so perhaps that is what kept her from creating a more dynamic character. But to be honest, the entire film came across a little bland to me. It is focused on a time when the US government was feigning the fact that the Native Americans would have some rights, so most of the “action” of the film is political posturing, and prepping for a vote. It feels like they could have built more tension into the film, because the two nations were very skeptical of each other, and constantly watching their backs. It has the potential to be a powder keg waiting to explode in all-out war, but they never manage to make us feel that potential for excitement. The movie certainly succeeds at making Caroline Weldon a strong character, and it has moments of drama that work. Sadly, overall it was underwhelming and could have used some tweaks to make it feel like more than a glorified History Channel film.

• Aug 14, 2019

A woke Western for our time.

A woke Western for our time.

• Aug 12, 2019

I loved this movie. Artful performances, beautiful cinematography, and a heart-wrenching story.

• Aug 02, 2019

Very loose interpretation of the events that actually happened, but the actors' performances are phenomenal & the scenery is gorgeous!

• May 12, 2019

good, just a little heavy handed

good, just a little heavy handed

• Feb 09, 2019

My wife and I loved this movie! Some of the critics gave the movie a red tomato, and we agree with them. The cinematography is beautiful, the acting is very good; the script, story, everything is very well done. The movie is based on a true story, and though the movie is a romanticized version of history, this is not a documentary, but an artistic film that accurately portrays the feelings and emotions of the times, the Native Americans, and one woman who, in real life, served as an advocate for Native rights. The movie is not fast-passed, with no car chases or anything like that, but very beautiful and emotional to watch. Highly recommended.

• Feb 02, 2019

Brilliantly Directed and Acted: I rarely write reviews, however this film has touched me so deeply that I cannot stay silent. I found this by accident on Amazon Prime. It grabbed my attention for two reasons: I am an admirer of Jessica Chastain's work, and I love history, especially the Old West. From the moment the film opened I was captivated. The theme music written by George Fenton is hauntingly beautiful and fits the film perfectly. I was hooked instantly as the first scenes unfolded. Jessica Chastain delivers a flawless performance and never puts a foot down wrong through each of her scenes. The first scene with Michael Greyeyes who plays Sitting Bill, made me chuckle at his wit and depth of character. I had never seen Michael in anything before, and I was immediately blown away by his masterful performance of this multi-dimensional character. He plays Sitting Bull in a charismatic, soulful and intelligent manner. Sitting Bull is deeply respected by the other Elders, and most deservedly so. Michael's scenes are no less than riveting. And while his first scene made me laugh, his last made me bawl my eyes out. I'll leave it at that with no spoilers. This film is as timeless and as relevant today as ever. Susanna White's masterful direction creates a sense of unity with the landscape and characters as you find yourself completely immersed in their lives and story -- an important story that should not be forgotten. While I understand there are some historical inaccuracies, this is also not a documentary. It is a wonderfully written script that tells the story of a strong-willed woman and a powerful and admired Chief who come together in unlikely circumstances and learn to respect and love each other. This is an award worthy film that should have done far better in the box office than it did and received much more recognition.

• Jan 01, 2019

Great historical movie that keeps you interested.

Great historical movie that keeps you interested.

• Dec 14, 2018

I’m not sure if this is an accurate portrayal of the historical events but it was a touching, moving movie regardless. The acting was fantastic by all and the locations were beautiful