X-Men: First Class - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

X-Men: First Class Reviews

½ May 18, 2018
X-Men: First Class may lack a great enough hook to get you deepened in the story, but the vibrant visuals, stellar performances and ginormously impressive action sequences makes this movie a blast to watch nonetheless.
½ May 17, 2018
I haven't seen all the X-Men movies, but out of all the ones I've seen, I would have to say this is the best one.
½ May 10, 2018
(85/100)
X-Men First Class is a great insight into the past of both Charles (James McAvoy) and Erik (Michael Fassbender). It sets up X-Men (2000) nicely and also sets up X-Men Apocalypse (2016) nicely for the different timelines. Performances were great and the emotion was there. Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) was a very interesting villain, because he connects to Erik's (Michael Fassbender) past. Everytime Erik (Michael Fassbender) interacts with Sebastian (Kevin Bacon) you can just feel the rage inside Erik (Michael Fassbender), which is good. The CGI was very wonky at times and could've been done better perhaps. Overall X-Men: First Class is a good movie with a good heart to the story.
May 4, 2018
This movie turned out to be way better than I was initially expecting it to be. It had a decent story at its core which made up for the lack of depth for some of the characters. Still, if you are an X-Men fan, then this one is certainly worth your time.
½ April 12, 2018
noticeably lacking the production values of 'x-men 3', the impressive action of 'x-men origins: wolverine' and the sheer complexity of 'x2'. it had potential but atrocious special effects and a ho-hum script makes 'x-men: first class' actually looks it was made, not only set, in the 1960s. the problem is it stylistically has more in common with the 'spy kids' films than its more serious predecessors.
½ April 1, 2018
A fun, introductory prequel that actually fits into the cannon timeline of the X-Men franchise.

X-Men: First Class unveils the epic beginning of the X-Men saga - and a secret history of the Cold War and our world at the brink of nuclear Armageddon. As the first class discovers, harnesses, and comes to terms with their formidable powers, alliances are formed that will shape the eternal war between the heroes and villains of the X-Men universe.

Superhero films have often been a hit or miss for me. There are some that I've loved, some that I've really disliked, and plenty that are forgettable. I think a lot of superhero movies nowadays follow a similar formula (Marvel), or try to find success at the expense of story (DC), but I've never really thought much about X-Men. I absolutely loved "Logan" and it's one of my favorite superhero movies ever. I thought "Deadpool" was fun and I'm excited for some of Fox's new projects. However, I've never really sat down and watched the X-Men films in order. So, here we go (in the best order I can).

I decided to start with "X-Men First Class". It's kind of the introductory film that stills holds cannon in the entire universe and it takes place before all of the other films do. I thought for what this film was, it was really fun. I think the action is well done in this movie and it has some comedic moments.

In terms of story, this wasn't too bad. It's interesting to see beloved characters and their origins. Even though I'm not the most attached to them, seeing Professor X and Magneto in their earlier stages is certainly interesting. The story kind of sets up a world where mutants exist and it surely does an interesting take on that. I don't think it's the most compelling or unique story by any means , but it works for what's given.

The acting in this film is probably the biggest highlight. James McAvoy is certainly a bright star and I love his versatility. His partnership with Michael Fassbender makes for a great chemistry on screen and some really powerful moments. I genuinely think these two are powerhouses and they should certainly be seen as some. Supporting cast in Jennifer Lawrence and Nicholas Hoult all were solid, along with everyone else. I think that everyone here did a solid job, but there were certainly some standouts.

In the end, I think this movie is solid. It's a fun, superhero semi-origin story with an established place in the universe. I think it's a good introductory into this world and the characters at hand.
March 27, 2018
X-Men first class is a good start to an X-Men prequel series that is only a prequel so that it can team up later with the veteran X-Men.
March 23, 2018
Terrific, thought provoking and profound. X - Men First Class offers everything you want in a superhero film.
½ March 14, 2018
The film is more focused on building the connections to the previous movies (and sex) than building a believable '60s era in which to place it; but the character arcs, stylish effects, and humor add up to a series addition that is a mostly fun origin story.
½ February 28, 2018
The pacing of the first half of the movie is so fast that it's the responsible for all the movie's flaws; the motivations for joining the team aren't convincing or rather they made all the mutants aren't different from each others (actually it is one motivation that you should understand yourself), the humor didn't work for me (despite the fact that the jokes aren't bad at all) and the dull dialogue between the villain and the heroes revealed all the evil plans. But actually this very pacing made this movie one of the most entertaining superhero movies I've ever seen. Also, all these flaws are only in the first half of the movie as I said and they are nothing if we compared them to the many positives of this movie; the visuals are stunning, all the performances are great (specially from McAvoy and Fassbender as well as their characters), Magneto's dramatic scenes in this movie maybe are the best in the entire franchise, the cheesiness in this movie is amiable and amusing, even the humor gets much more better in the second half of the movie. the action sequences are stylish and the plot is simple but strong. without a doubt it's one of my favorite X-Men movies.
½ February 22, 2018
BEASTLY movie. Other than being an awesome entertaining superhero movie, i think it was a very well made movie overall. Lots of good characters and emotional moments that make you feel what they are feeling. awesome dialogue and debating. emotionally powerful, some great and creative scenes. Lots of memorable moments. An AMAZING musical score. This movie made Magneto my favorite super villain. (5 viewings)

SPOLIERS

A really great origin story for how the x-men first started. the final shot of the movie where magneto saving emma frost gives me the business
February 19, 2018
Poorly handles the relationship between Charles and Eric, rushing to a breakdown of the friendship before its even been built.
A wasted chance to do something great.
½ February 17, 2018
One of the best X-Men films to date. First Class manages to explain the backstory between Xavier and Magneto and the rest of the crew with an all new cast...And they actually do it right...This is how you make a prequel!! Star Wars could take some notes...
½ February 3, 2018
This was a breath of fresh air for the x-men franchise. Well done.
½ January 13, 2018
This is where the X-Men franchise goes off the rails. This movie destroys the continuity of all the X-Men movies before it. It's inexcusable. Not really crazy about any of the casting outside of Michael Fassbender as Magneto. The best part of the movie was probably Hugh Jackman's one-line cameo.
January 6, 2018
Interesting origin story for the X-Men that has some really impressive character moments and visual spectacles, but the visuals are inconsistent (going from great to terrible seemingly at random) and the dialogue/story are a bit silly and don't make sense at times. Really a movie of 'moments'.

Re-casting Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen sounded like an impossible task, but James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are superb, and they carry most of this movie. January Jones is shockingly bad and horrendously out of place in a movie with McAvoy/Fassbender, but almost so bad you can't look away. It's like she's not human.
December 31, 2017
Good movie, but feel like they took a chance with so many newcomer actors. Kevin Bacon was really the only big name in the movie, but it was pretty good. Bacon always plays a good bad guy.
December 21, 2017
A fun and entertaining installment. The new cast breathes new life into the franchise.
December 17, 2017
First Class is a return to the franchise's roots in both a symbolic and literal sense. The story averts from confusing turns and unnecessary choices for one central conflict and a compelling story. The cast members all provide excellent performances, most notably McAvoy and Fassbender, the action, stellar as always in these films, and the dynamic between the characters plays of incredibly well. This is the beginning of a new age of X-men.
December 17, 2017
X-Men: First Class showcases a new take on the franchise with tight direction and a stellar cast.