You're Next - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You're Next Reviews

March 26, 2017
A great take on the home invasion/slasher genre, with an epic female lead performance, a smart and violent plot, and some fitting dark humor.
March 20, 2017
Boasting a rock-solid performance from Sharni Vinson, dazzlingly energetic direction from Adam Wingard and a sharply written script from Simon Barrett, You're Next is a once-in-a-lifetime synthesis of home invasion anxiety, dysfunctional family dramedy, unrestrained gore and subversive twists.
March 18, 2017
One of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time. It was lots of fun. Great twist on the home invasion genre. It was very gory and had great kills. It had one of the best female leads for a horror movie I've seen in a while. Great ending that wrapped everything up.
March 7, 2017
"It's a thrill ride, a reminder of when horror films were fun, and almost never disappoints"
February 23, 2017
I'd been wanting to see this thing forever, so when it finally hit Blu-ray I snapped it up immediately and gave it a look. I'm pleased to say that this siege film *definitely* lived up to the film fest hype from the past few years while it's toured around and was well worth the wait.

Give it a rental at the very least.
½ February 6, 2017
For its genre, it's an amazing mix of horror and comedy. Complete with a brilliant lead actress!
½ January 18, 2017
Darkly hilarious and with plenty of gore to please horror fans. Adam Wingard truly established himself as a promising genre director.
January 16, 2017
The acting isn't bad, movie is just about an hour and 30 minutes,which is a good thing. Not bad for a home invasion movie, doesn't have too many "Wtf would they do that, are they stupid?!' moments. However it's still cliche heavy and you can basically guess what's gonna happen next most of the time. If you have nothing better to watch, give it a try, it's not a total time waster.
January 15, 2017
I liked it but there's a lot of plotholes that aren't explained. Why did the assassins kill the neighbors in the opening scene?
½ January 10, 2017
You're Next is a fun horror movie.
December 28, 2016
Half cooked slasher movie. Gross but still great.
December 3, 2016
ZOMG this is amazing!
November 27, 2016
the main actress is wonderful! she plays it so calm and understated and comes across as a complete badass! i was rooting for her to be the final girl from the very beginning! also the creepy music could easily be another character in the movie... it is constant and really gets under your skin! if you are looking for a edgy horror movie with a great twist check this one out!
November 22, 2016
A stupid slasher that tries to be modern with a heroine who can fight back and not only scream and run, but nothing can really make up for how most of the actors are awful, the characters a bunch of freaking morons and the plot so ridiculous and hard to buy.
November 2, 2016
Gives us a unique portrayal of the 'last girl' and it has some funny moments. I enjoyed the resourcefulness Erin had. It wasn't bland, though kind of overrated at times. Overall I think a good movie in comparison to a lot of other horror/thriller movies of late.
October 23, 2016
A deceptively fun throwback to 70's home invasion films. It's simple plot and thin characters are a little bit of a downer but the great combo of horror/action makes this well worth watching.
October 23, 2016
Not the most artfully made movie, but as home invasion flicks go, this one is gleefully random, and gets bonus points for its excellent body count and flashes of cleverness.
½ October 23, 2016
Inventive home-invasion Horror film sees the Davison family meet for their parent's 35th wedding anniversary at the family's very expensive (and very isolated) country estate. We are introduced to the Davison's sons and daughter and various spouses and spousal equivalents and realize that there is a lot of tension beneath the surface that is threatening to boil over and disrupt the festivities. Then three masked lunatics with crossbows, machetes, and axes attack the house. The cell phone signals are jammed and everyone looks like their goose is cooked but Erin (Sharni Vinson) the girlfriend and former TA of Crispian (AJ Bowen) was raised by her Australian survivalist father to deal with situations like this and she makes an engaging and likeable "Final Girl" in this piece. There is more going on her than meets the idea, this seemingly random act of violence may not be as random as one thinks. So we have a suspenseful movie with an isolated session, sizable victim pool, lots of violence to please gorehounds, creepy killers, useless authority figures, a sting in the tail at the end and a talented cast with no real marque stars. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
October 20, 2016
In this day and age the horror genre lacks new directorial talent as the only big name that has risen is James Wan. So when people speak highly of a new horror director my curiosity awakens, thus I watch the overwatched "You're Next" due to people telling me how much of a promise Adam Wingard is. Is this film an overlooked gem?

Erin is young and attractive woman that accompanies her boyfriend to a family meal but little does she know that this family reunion will turn into bloodbath as they become the prey of a violent masked trio.

Let's get right into this. "You're Next" has atrocious acting (not that I expected fantastic acting to begin with, but this is Friday the 13th level of badness) with the exception being the good looking lead (she seems to understand the type of film she's in), the story is dumb, the 'twists' are extremely predictable, the shockingly scarce score is somewhat annoying, the special effects look cheap, the characters are so forgettable and unlikable that you don't care about them, there are pacing problems, the concept is a bizarre mixture of "Assault on Precinct 13" and "Home Alone", the kills are mostly uncreative, and its shockingly boring (I never expect anything from horror films but to be entertained, but this film is so dull and generic). But the biggest problem this film has is the tone. It takes itself seriously but then out of nowhere throws a joke (mostly slapstick), which instead of getting a laugh out of you it takes you out. If you want to be a horror/comedy mashup them go all out and don't take yourself too seriously (unless you are David Lynch). But regardless of all those problems, let's give credit where credit is due: Wingard's direction is quite confident and full of style (which is quite remarkable for film with this minuscule budget), in fact I was more focused on the style than what was actually going on.

"You're Next" is a stylish B movie that serves more as a vehicle for its director than an actual enjoyable film. It is dumb, predictable, quite forgettable, underwhelming, cheap, tonally inconsistent and sadly boring. If you expect a solid and actually scary film then you will be disappointed.
½ October 20, 2016
When it comes to cult classic horror movies, films like The Evil Dead or The Thing are what come to mind. After its short theatrical release at the end of the summer in 2013, You're Next quickly became known as a modern-day cult classic horror film. After watching it for myself a few years later, I can confidently say that I see why film fans have admired this picture over the years, but that I whole-heartedly disagree with its acquired cult status. Having a very interesting story with quite a few twists and turns throughout, this film is definitely worth checking out at least once. That being said, here is why I believe the repeat value is slim to none, unless you are going to poke fun at it.

The best thing this film has going for it, is easily the fact that it has an over-arching story that has a more than satisfying payoff in the third act. This is more of a suspense/slasher flick than an effective horror film. Without giving too much away, this film follows a family as they are invited over to their parents estate. Bringing along all of their newfound boyfriends or girlfriends, they enjoy a nice family dinner together, just before being terrorized by a few men in masks. Picking the family members off one by one, this film quickly becomes an exciting one. The biggest issue lingering over the entire film however; The acting is laughably bad.

When you have a film that relies on its characters in order to tell a compelling story, you have to be able to cast performers that will give their all in times of peril. From the parents, to almost every one of the main characters, none of them deliver believable performances. They are just seeing their family members for the first time in a while. Their initial reaction to seeing them being killed should be shock and terror, but their screams and sobbing all feel forced. I found myself chuckling at the performances rather than feeling grief for the family. This film also suffers from a twist that works, followed by many confusing character actions.

Erin, played very well by Sharni Vinson, is the character that audiences are supposed to latch onto the most. While her performance definitely saves this film from being terrible, her actions in the final act are very questionable, to say the least. After all is revealed and audience members are wondering how everything is going to wrap up, it quickly becomes a pretty generic conclusion with characters doing things that seem very far out of their comfort zone, in context with the rest of the film. This film keeps itself very confined throughout most of its duration and its eerie feel is always present, but it dives far too deep into generic slasher flick by the end.

In the end, I can see why some people think of this as a great horror film, due to its unconventional and original twist, but the bottom line is that none of these actors seem to give a compelling enough performance to buy into what is happening. It definitely has a few creepy scenes, but for every creepy moment, it is followed up by a generic jump scare. Due to the hype surrounding this film, I was hoping for something much more compelling to be honest. You're Next tries very hard to be different, but ultimately gets caught up in the same old horror tropes. I enjoyed portions of this film, but it is not the cult classic that it has slowly been becoming over the years. This is just another average horror flick in the end.