You're Next - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

You're Next Reviews

½ June 21, 2016
After a gory, shocking, and interesting prologue, the film then takes us to an empty, wooded, country estate (because nothing bad ever happens in those places). There, we meet a wealthy couple; who are getting ready for an awkward family reunion. Our main character Erin, played by the beautiful Sharni Vinson, (Bait 3D, & Step Up 3D) accompanies her boyfriend Crispian, played by A.J. Bowen ( A Horrible Way To Die, & The Sacrament).

In addition, when the whole family gets together for dinner and discussion, that's when an argument starts between Crispian and his brother Drake, played by Joe Swanberg (Drinking Buddies & A Horrible Way To Die). SUDDENLY, Drake gets shot, with a crossbow arrow that comes flying through a nearby window. Erin notices three masked men outside holding weapons, and that's when she knows some sh#t is about to hit the fan.

I really enjoyed this film from the start. It had an interesting prologue, well done camera work, some humor, an awesome style of throwback music, well written characters, and one of the most badass final girls I've seen in years. I honestly believe, that Erin will go down in scream queen history with Neve Campbell ,Jamie Lee Curtis, and Heather LangenKamp.

Even though this genre has been done before, with films like The Strangers, Panic Room, and The Purge. I believe You're Next stands on it's own. Mainly because it's not afraid to do it's own thing. Such as, the chemistry between all the actors, it keeps you guessing (Erin's past), has an interesting twist, and it keeps you wanting more (especially with the way it ends).

Director Adam Wingard crafts together an amazing movie. However, in my opinion, his even better talent is working with the score, unique editing, old school style and influences of filmmaking.

I truly do feel like this is one of the best horror movies in a very long time. The anticipation/word of mouth of this movie had me wanting to view it for months. It's different, especially the style techniques, the gore is for a reason, the writing is awesome, it has direction, the pacing is just right, and the score. The ending to this movie goes crazy, Erin is a badass babe, and a twist I didn't expect. I'm very interested in seeing what Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett have next. I am a fan of everyone involved with this film, and I had an excellent time viewing You're Next, and I believe you will as well. I am more than proud to give You're Next a...

9/10!
½ January 26, 2014
Kinda predictable, old school, weird, with horror movie music. Psychos start attacking during the family dinner and yes, it's frightening. Their fight or flight reactions were interesting, some were even laughable.
February 20, 2016
84% Filled with suspense, horror, and violence, You're Next will satisfy anyone in the mood for thrills and with an appetite for gore. All while not losing focus on its dark humor infused plot.
½ May 14, 2016
Nothing new here, but good fun with what's there
½ May 10, 2016
A damn near perfect dark comedy.
July 15, 2015
You're Next combines the always engaging concept of family togetherness with the conventions of the horror genre in an irrepressibly energetic way, leaving horror buffs with a family reunion full of gruesome bloodshed and subversive twists to deliver fast-paced fun for the whole family to enjoy, that is if they're fans of horror.
April 24, 2016
The acting is terrible! jesus christ haha! if your entire family was getting murdered around you I think you would cry at least one tear? so ridiculous and unrealistic but other than that kind of entertaining and liked the little mediocre twist at the end...
March 10, 2016
Funny action-packed gore-fest with one of horror's most badass heroines.
April 10, 2016
You're Next is completely absurd, balls-to-the-wall insane, and brutal beyond belief, and that's why it works. Adam Wingard has created a home invasion horror thriller that delivers its thrills in a way that's over-the-top and not without a morbid sense of humor. The story is a deceptively basic home invasion thriller, which takes a third act turn that isn't without its problems, and will likely split viewers' opinions on the film overall, but works as a whole. The acting isn't great (excluding Sharni Vinson, whose leading heroine is almost hardened beyond belief, which ultimately ends up fitting the tone), but it doesn't need to be: this is a film that relies on the execution of its thrills, and in that department, it completely succeeds. All of the kills are unique and inventive in their own way, and are simultaneously horrifying and morbidly hilarious. It might have some narrative flaws, but the over-the-top nature of this one makes it worth seeing.
April 10, 2016
Lived up to the billing of "not expecting that". This was a really great film, full of great kills, some suspense, scares (which are rare for me), and even a good score. There's one kill in particular that I wouldn't dare spoil, but it made me yell several profanities in appreciation. Worth the watch.
½ June 8, 2014
Cheap, Cheesy, Loosely Set Up and not that much of a game-changer, "You're Next" should be a Bad Movie (and that's entirely up to you), but, oddly enough, it's not. It's a cliche scenario with a neat twist that delivers corn-syrup'y gore, thrills and some small dry black humored laughs.
September 3, 2014
78%
At first glance it may seem another generic slasher flick, but You're Next is full of unique surprises and twists that will make you love the genre all over again.

V: 66%
April 6, 2016
Same old shit. Those twists & turns work thou.
½ April 2, 2016
There is lots to like about You're Next; lots of tension, decent acting and characters, and an interesting story.

A little disappointing in that everything was just motivated by money, but aside from that, everything else was great.

For a home invasion film, this is quite enjoyable.
½ March 27, 2016
I strongly question the claims of reinvention of anything, genre or otherwise.
March 20, 2016
Surprisingly decent slasher film, one of the better survival horror flicks in recent years.
It brings nothing new to the table, but it's thrilling and quite bloody, one worth a watch for any fan of Friday the 13th and Halloween.
½ August 31, 2013
There's only one reason to see this movie: Sharni Vinson. She was awesome!
March 10, 2016
65%
Saw this on 10/3/16
Sharmi Vinson is the good and the only cast member who gives a good performance, but that is not even half as good compared to Shauna McDonald in The Descent. At times poorly made, this horror film lacks a logical story and any kind of emotion, but as an exercise in violence, it is much enjoyable for all those who can stand it.
February 21, 2016
This is a very cool concept and awesome movie.
½ February 20, 2016
Clever twists and turns and nearly non-stop action, mixed with a heavy dose of gore. Likely to entertain fans of horror, suspense and action.