Catherine the Great: Miniseries Reviews

• 2d ago

So far, the storyline is rather boring. The sets are beautiful and I will continue to watch in hopes it will become more interesting

• 2d ago

Boring one and a 41-year age gap between Mirren and Catherine is quite an absurd.

• 3d ago

What not to love?? Great plot and performance

What not to love?? Great plot and performance

• 3d ago

After trying to puzzle out what this historical series was doing with the horridly incorrect storyline, an elderly, (albeit a great actress), attempting to pass as a young 30 something empress .. I gave up and couldn't Continue to watch after 20 minutes .. what were they thinking?? Part of her " greatness " was navigating a ruthless political quagmire as a young woman.. that flew right out the window like a drunk goat with the sexual innuendos from a 70 plus year old actress playing a 32 year old.. I am embarrassed for Ms Mirran. What could have been an outstanding series was absolutely ruined with poor casting, and even poorer writing.

• Nov 06, 2019

Weak writing, stretches credulity, Mirren mailed it in. Costumes and settings, though impressive, don't rescue this series from mediocrity.

• Nov 06, 2019

Pretty disappointing - none of it jives. I love you, Helen, but you're not age appropriate for Catherine during the time period being portrayed - too difficult to suspend disbelief on that point. The writing trivializes the politics at play, as well as Catherine's intelligence. There is no display of how cunning she must have been to stay in power for so long. The chemistry between Helen and Jason Clarke is about as exciting as kissing a cold, wet fish. It's boring...

• Nov 06, 2019

This was so boring and unbelievable. The real Catherine was 33 years old and Helen Mirren is in her 70's. I am unable to look past this as she jumps from lover to lover. It's just not realistic. The story itself moves slowly and is not interesting. Finally, Russians with English accents is just lazy. I am disappointed in this production as with proper casting and better writing it could have been so much better.

• Nov 05, 2019

Ugh. Silly. Embarrassing. Histrionic. Shallow. Wall to wall egregious anachronisms. Ludicrous scenes demeaning for everyone--from the long dead historical figures this is supposedly about, to the actors, to the poor crew who had to film it, to the viewers--for example, Kropotkin and Catherine the Great shrieking at each other in the middle of the street fighting about love Love LOVE LOOOOOOOVE!!! There is such great political history here but it's as if the writers didn't understand that, or didn't think we would care, and instead turned it into a 5th rate melodrama, and not even a vaguely compelling one. Every episode was a cringey laborious slog.

• Nov 05, 2019

Snail pace. Wouldn't turn if off if it was on while folding laundry. But definitely would not carve out time to watch. So many other good shows out there.

• Nov 05, 2019

A vanity piece miscasting Helen Mirren in a role for which she is 35 years too old and fails to display an authentic imperial bearing. We get it, you're half-Russian.