Surrogates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surrogates Reviews

August 20, 2017
Stupid,slowmoving, pointless movie... Feel sorry for Bruce.
August 6, 2017
Had it embraced the esoteric questions about human nature & empathy buried in the premise more fully it could've been a more interesting piece. As it is it's a serviceable Bruce Willis action vehicle with some recent performances. It's the same concern as Will Smith's 'I, Robot' another movie with a great premise delving into human nature & mind-machine interfaces and their impact on our future social evolution as species.
August 6, 2017
This film is...well...ok (for want of a better word)
The idea is brilliant, but the execution less so. It feels like Mostow and his writers have jumped in head first with little idea of what they actually planned to achieve. The film has a lot of potential but seems to fall short just when it could get interesting. It is also rife with plot holes.
The cast all do well and are different enough from their robotic selves to give due credit. Rosamund Pike in particular is subtle in her changes and a joy to watch. Credit also due to the costume and make up department for making the surrogates suitably plastic and perfect. I wanted so much more from this film. Pity it didn't deliver.
jamrcla
June 2, 2017
Like most films in this genre It has a good idea but fails to make any of its ideas work or feel fresh mostly down to the story being told poorly and really doesn't know where to take the story so it uses an ending that was predictable, The effects were good and some nice action scenes but that's it really, Willis does his best to try and save the film but even he can't help it feeling like an I,Robot knock off.
April 23, 2017
I liked this film, I liked the theme of how technology is taking over everyone's lives. Cool robot stuff. In other ways it was a typical action movie.
½ March 17, 2017
This movie is really not that bad! Actually I really liked the unique plot, and Bruce Willis really does what he can, and is great for the role. I was positive surprised after watching it, and I can watch it over again since then. It's not the biggest epic sci-fi movie, but definitely wort to watch.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 19, 2017
Hey anything with Bruce is worth watching
November 23, 2016
Interesting premise, but doesn't stand up to any logical scrutiny. Cliche plot. Horrible writing and script. Plays out like a high-school writing assignment. Some interesting sets, effects and visual design doesn't save it.
August 4, 2016
A lot of people diss this and call it terrible, but believe when I saw I've seen worse. Oh God have I seen worse
½ July 11, 2016
A little slow moving at times. But a decent enough Sci-Fi movie.
April 9, 2016
A very underrated hidden gem. A great concept and entertaining movie about our over-reliance on technology.
March 3, 2016
It's entertaining for a B movie. Much like others such as iRobot, etc... Nothing really special, but not really bad either.
½ January 1, 2016
Loved this movie! It wasn't about how well done the movie is, it's about the story. Love the story. It's much love my favorite book, Feed.
October 17, 2015
Want to see it, but heard bad things...
½ September 18, 2015
Despite some cool moments and innovative touches, the film sacrifices plausibility in the details to its big picture, which is unfortunately quite bland: one man saving humanity from itself with seconds to spare. As a loosely AI-based sci-fi, it lacks the depth and intelligence of Ex Machina, eXistenZ or even The Matrix, and is really just another action flick. It basically rehashes the old utopia becomes dystopia, fear of technology shtick that has been the mainstay of box office sci-fi from day one.

The FBI nerd, controlling the world from behind a bank of monitors, is practically a carbon copy of Dennis Nedry from Jurassic Park. I really enjoyed the scene with the surrogate getting a facial though - that was neat.
August 1, 2015
An interesting premise is drilled sour by cliche thriller beats and stale performances.
½ May 1, 2015
Not a movie I would have ever picked out for myself to watch - wasn't too thrilled when husband chose it. Oh great, another dumb Bruce Willis action flick.
However... Much to my surprise, a decent and original storyline. What a scary vision of the future. Though the robots look great, and the idea of sending them out to work etc is not without its appeal, it was depressing to see the "real" people looking slobby and quite honestly depressed.
Also interesting to see Rosamind Pyke in an earlier role.
March 28, 2015
Decent but got me never thrilled.