Broken Arrow Reviews

• Jul 21, 2020

No better than a million films just like it.

No better than a million films just like it.

• Jul 04, 2019

A good watch that is different from your typical Western. James Stewart works to establish peace with an Apache tribe. The filming is done well and the acting is on point. (First and only viewing - 5/10/2019)

• Feb 21, 2019

Based on the real-life efforts of Tom Jeffords, this film dramatizes his efforts to make peace with Apache chief Cochise. After helping a young Indian boy, Cochise sets Jeffords free leading him to think that there may be a way to make peace in the war that has now lasted nearly 10 years. Against all odds, his solitary mission into Cochise's stronghold opens a dialogue. Opportunely, the president sends General Howard with orders to conclude peace;and with this in mind--he manages to mediate a peaceful resolution of the conflict, in 1872. But, sadly, this is a fragile treaty. Will it last or come to more bloodshed....... This is an excellent western film . (James Stewart) is outstanding in his role as former Union captain, Tom Jeffords, to restore peace between white frontiersmen and Cochise's Chiricahua Apaches. It's a Western with a liberal cry for peace, racial harmony and tolerance. This superb western is one of the earliest to treat the problems of Indians seriously and sympathetically.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best Western movie ever made!

The best Western movie ever made!

• Dec 15, 2018

Outstanding movie that avoids the stereotypes of Native Americans.

Outstanding movie that avoids the stereotypes of Native Americans.

• Oct 15, 2018

This is an overlooked gem that I only heard about by happenstance. It's older and campy, but it's always a treat to watch Jimmy Stewart's performances. It's a little-told part of American history, which is always fun, but the style is certainly dated. The diplomatic language was exquisite and cut so brilliantly to the heart of each conflict in question that it almost bumped it up to a 4/5 for me by itself. All told, though, at the very least it could use a non-gritty remake with an emphasis on dialogue.

• Jan 09, 2018

an interesting take on the peace with the Apaches. At times the sets were weak, but many of the locations shots were beautiful. It reminded me as the predecessor to Dances With Wolves.

• Aug 24, 2016

Nuanced and never simple, Broken Arrow is a good movie that depicts Indians in a correct light. The racial tensions makes the movie timeless, as does the strong performances and story. Broken Arrow is a western with class and verve, and shows the genre can be more complex than just guns and cards.

• Nov 16, 2015

It is not easy to change but sometimes it is required. Tom Jeffords is a cowboy that saves an Apache boy during an ongoing feud between America and the Apache. Tom tries to use his new relationship with the Apache to negotiate a treaty in some way to protect families and children on both sides of the war. There are several battles that make the treaties tough to implement. "I will try the way of peace." Delmer Daves, director of 3:10 to Yuma, The Badlanders, Never Let me Go, Destination Tokyo, Task Force, Bird of Paradise, and Return of the Texan, delivers Broken Arrow. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and well done. The action was intense and the main characters are executed so well. The cast delivers awesome performances and includes James Stewart, Jeff Chandler, Debra Paget, and Will Geer. "Let your face not be seen again." I was excited to see this coming on the October lineup on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). I am a huge James Stewart fan. This was very well done and I enjoyed how the film unfolds. I wouldn't say it was an epic all time great western, but it is a must see for fans of the genre. "A pony is a small horse." Grade: B-

• Oct 25, 2015

Broken Arrow is one of my favorites. There are some good movies now days, but there are few actors of the same caliber of Jimmie Stewart, Jeff Chandler, and Debra Paget.