Bus Stop - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bus Stop Reviews

March 16, 2016
In her prime, which because of her death at any early age was all of her cinematic life, Monroe was a gorgeous force of nature very much underappreciated in her thespianism. Once I adjusted to Logan's directional style and to the rodeo and fish-out-of-water concepts, I really laid back and enjoyed this. Though it doesn't feature Marilyn's best singing--she portrays a bad singer, at least at the start--it does have some of her best acting, as she finds out she's accepted for who she really is. Wish that had happened to her in real life. Don't get me wrong: it's not by any stretch of the imagination a great film. Yet neither is it the mediocrity other people tend to say it is.
March 16, 2016
March 15, 2016
Quaint but charming, this comedy western is elevated by Marilyn's performance - a masterclass in character acting.
August 12, 2015
It's time you met a girl.

A boy from the country and his uncle catch a bus into the big city for a rodeo competition and to meet a girl. His first night he heads into a bar and instantly falls for the cocktail singer and demands she marries him and moves back to Montana with him. She has a tragic past that she feels makes her unworthy of the wholesome cowboy's love.

"I've been going with guys since I was twelve."

Joshua Logan, director of South Pacific, Fanny, Tall Story, Camelot, Picnic, Sayonara, Paint Your Wagon, and Ensign Pulver, delivers Bus Stop. The storyline for this picture is very solid and contains a nice blend of romantic comedy with tragic characters. The acting was entertaining and contained Marilyn Monroe, Don Murray, Arthur O'Connell, and Robert Bray.

"If you don't have direction, you just keep going around in circles."

I came across this on Netflix and had to add it to my queue after my favorite rottentomatoes reviewer convinced me some time ago to watch more Monroe pictures. She was solid, not perfect in this, but her character was interesting and well written. I recommend watching this once.

"I love a good fight."

Grade: B+
½ May 22, 2015
It should actually be listed as "inspired by Inge's play", not "based on" since it throws just about everything from the source material out the window. Monroe is uncharacteristically unglamorous for almost the whole movie, which is the only interesting thing about it.
May 4, 2015
Starring Marilyn Monroe, Don Murray and Arthur O'Connell. Monroe was never better than this, as the semi-tragic Cherie in the film version of William Inge's play. If only Don Murray, in his film debut as the over-eager cowboy who wins Monroe's heart, wasn't so damned annoying. Great support from Eileen Heckart as Monroe's co-worker, and O'Connell as Murray's uncle. Directed by Joshua Logan.
½ December 24, 2014
Oooooft that was a chore!!!
September 26, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Aside from River of No Return and Niagara, most of the films I have seen that features Marilyn Monroe, have been comedies, therefore I think it is fair for me to feel surprised by Bus Stop. This film does have comedic elements but the story drives its audience to such a dark place that one could easily forget the lightly toned scenes that preceded it. I was not able to fully invest myself with this film, and a lot of that is due to the core protagonist of the film being difficult to empathise with.

Bus Stop's screenplay was written by George Axelrod, and was based off a play by William Inge. So far I have seen three films written by Axelrod, including this one; the other two films were Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Seven Year Itch. I am disappointed to say that, none of these films have impressed me in regards to their storytelling. They seem to feature a captivating premise but fail to deliver something impacting. Bus Stop had potential to explore and contrast ideas of city and country, innocence and arrogance, and most importantly respect; these were elements that were floating during the first hour of the film, and by the time it hits its third act, it has yet delivered anything that deemed valuable. The film does promote heavily on the idea of respect and genuine romance during the third act, but the sequence that the writers have chosen felt out of place and a little forced; it attempts so hard and swiftly to reverse everything that was mistakenly conducted by our protagonist, that the film never truly earns it. If the film was not so aggressive in antagonizing our leading man, then I would have probably enjoyed this one more, even if it plays out too safely.

I cannot believe my eyes when I saw that Don Murray, who plays the film's antagonizing leading man, Beauregard Deckard, or simply Bo, earned an Academy Award nomination for his performance in this film. It was awful, right from the start, he delivered his dialogue in such a revolting way, that I wanted to vomit. I understand that his role is meant to symbolise the innocence and arrogance of youth, but I have seen many actors, even child-actors, from Old Hollywood perform better than that. Though in saying this, it did make it easy for me to feel distant towards him, whom the film intends to achieve by the time it reaches its climax, but since the film requires me to forgive him at the end, my feelings towards his performance turned for worse. Murray also was completely off in his physical appearance, I found it difficult to be convinced that he is a 21 year old boy, instead I saw a man-child in his 40s, having a tantrum. I think a person who deserved more acclaim is Marilyn Monroe. Monroe's performance in Bus Stop may not be deserving of an Academy Award nomination and it may not be the best role she has played, but one cannot deny that this was an effective one. Monroe has surprised me in films like River of No Return, taking risks with roles that do not rely on what she inherently has and delivering substance in her performance, even if it is just a little. Watching her performance in this film, allowed me to see shades of her that I never thought she had, which was something the film's posters and trailers fail to acknowledge.

Bus Stop fails hard in its ability to tell an effective coming of age story and presents its audience with a character so unlikeable that any attempts in redemption would be futile. The only reason I would consider coming back to seeing this film is the performance that Monroe was able to brilliantly deliver.
September 26, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

½ September 20, 2014
Has a simple plot and outdated, almost brutish relations between the sexes, but one is drawn in by Marilyn Monroe's attempts to prove her acting chops. The climatic scene where her face fills the screen is almost mesmerizing.
August 27, 2014
This is now so dated that it seems silly and immature.
½ July 12, 2014
Monroe's performance is truly the only thing worth noting about it, and even that's not enough to watch this more than once.
April 30, 2014
Bus Stop was one of the first romantic comedies, and one of the finest. It has great actors, a hilarious setting, and a beautiful script.
½ March 27, 2014
A nice romantic comedy, we a weak Monroe Southern accent.
March 27, 2014
THE worst movie I ever saw in my life.
January 29, 2014
It just feels like the events in this movie happen to fast and I was left wondering why had it all happened. Seemed a little forced.
November 27, 2013
This movie was based on a stage play. It's about a young cowboy and his old man friend who travel from Montana to Arizona in order for the young cowboy to enter a rodeo. Marilyn Monroe plays a saloon singer with no talent. The young cowboy falls in love with her and tries to abduct her to his ranch in Montana. Marilyn Monroe was at the height of her popularity when she made this movie. The second half of the movie takes place in a bus stop during a snow storm. The first half was added for the movie and sets up the story set in the bus stop. It's a comedy romance story. The premise of a young cowboy kidnapping a saloon singer on his first trip to the city seemed funny in the 1950's but today sounds creepy. It's not politically correct today to make a hero out of a bully. The whole idea of a love at first sight is a Hollywood cliché. What the cowboy did in the movie is a crime and would have gotten him thrown in jail in real life. Marilyn Monroe looks good in this movie. She's trim and curvy in all the right places. During the first part of the movie she spoofs herself by singing songs she's famous for but does them badly. I thought it was funny when the old man was shocked that a saloon girl was drinking tea instead of whiskey that he was paying 60¢ a shot for. Today you can't get a full glass of iced tea for less that $1.00. I have this movie on Laserdisc. It's been formatted for a standard TV screen. Most of the time it doesn't matter because there are a lot of close-ups. A few times the actors are partially off screen. The first half of the movie has a lot of cool rodeo scenes. They filmed a lot of the movie at an actual parade and rodeo.
October 22, 2013
Marilyn's second best performance is a tour de force as Cherie, a nightclub chanteuse that falls for her over-enthusiastic sexually immature kidnapper. When she kisses Bo at the end in the diner, it's another transcendent moment. Highly recommended.
½ August 29, 2013
The story of a lonely hurting woman & a little obsessive Cowboy who is in town for a rodeo.

Don Murray's film debut is memorable but quite over bearing, I thought by far the stand out was Marilyn Munro who demonstrated in this film she truly had talent.

Her performance seemed to have a lot of her personal life intertwined as well. It's also paved the way for that sexual image she adopted in the years to come.
August 8, 2013
Don Murray confuses shouting with acting; his over-the-top loudmouth hick wears out his welcome early and never recovers - nor does this film version of the William Inge play. Just out on Blu-ray disc.