Carrie Reviews

• 2d ago

First and foremost, I respect this movie's classic status. But let's be real, a lot of it is incredibly dated and cheesy. I know, it's a 70s movie so what do I expect right? Regardless, the movie can't hide its age no matter what you say. That being said, I still think it's a GOOD movie that flies by pacing-wise. The prom scene, though nowhere near as terrifying today as it may have been forty plus years ago, is still great to watch unfold. The performances are good I guess but nothing extraordinary, and I dug the main score of the movie. So, all in all, my verdict is that 'Carrie' is a respectable horror classic that despite aging very poorly, still manages to linger onto its entertainment value.

• Nov 17, 2020

With great performances by Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie, a brilliant direction by Brian de Palma, a well-crafted script, tension, supernatural horror, adolescence themes and that iconic and terrific prom scene, ‘Carrie' is a classic horror movie that's one the best Stephen King's adaptations. 4.5/5 - 9/10

• Nov 04, 2020

Spacek is perfectly cast. Laurie provides most of the creeps.

Spacek is perfectly cast. Laurie provides most of the creeps.

• Oct 16, 2020

Perfect performances by the cast. including sissy spacek and piper Laurie and perfect directing by brian de palma

• Oct 01, 2020

The first of many Stephen King adaptations, an author so obscure at the time that his name was misspelled in the credits, Carrie might look dated, but its power to shock and scare remains very much intact. Featuring a very empathetic lead performance from Sissy Spacek, playing a child tormented by what would become a Stephen King staple, the religious fanatic, who goes through a lot of very realistic character growth, which manifests itself both physically and emotionally. It's a story of the effects of bullying and humiliation, and how those who are pushed far enough, no matter how timid they may be, will eventually strike back. The supernatural powers Carrie has aren't given much explanation, but what's important is that she only uses them when she's being wronged, and doesn't just throw them around at will. I was surprised to see that the prom sequence, arguably the most iconic moment in the film, isn't actually the climax, but occurs about 20 minutes before the end itself. It seems strange, since it would be a very fitting way to conclude the story, with our heroine getting her sweet revenge, but the true ending does give us a truly shocking jump scare, one that feels earned and not just inserted as a cheap scare tactic. Its an iconic horror film for a good reason, and while many attempted to remake it over the years, its impact was never truly replicated.

• Aug 28, 2020

Screw the psychic powers and the supernatural revenge - the sheer trauma endured in the first 30 minutes by Carrie is the real terror in this film. Between a psychopathic high school class and a hyperconservative mother, can you really blame Spacek for cutting loose? Jokes aside, I feel the well-established nature of the story almost takes away too much from the experience as a first-time viewer, given that the buildup to the prom prank takes up such a substantial component of the runtime. Still, a solid and inventive start to the eventual downpour of Stephen King adaptations. (3.5/5)

• Aug 28, 2020

One of the first classic horror movies I watched, and as a kid who experienced enough bullying to also hate high school, really enjoyed it! Psychological, evil, and a wild ride.

• Aug 27, 2020

I love the cinematography and the acting is very well done. The writing and screenplay are also terrific. The movie just feels human to me.

• Aug 11, 2020

It's by no means a superior film, but it hits the right notes for a supernatural suspense thriller. And the cast is a walk down memory lane: Sissy Spacek, John Travolta, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt, Betty Buckley, Nancy Allen -- and P.J. Soles, whose 60-plus film credits have earned her a Crimmy (Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest) as a Horror Film Icon, bring De Palma's vision to life.

• Aug 04, 2020