Reviews

• Oct 28, 2021

Carrie, the troubled girl at the center of this film, wreaks havoc upon her tormentors in one of film's most frightening underdog stories. Carrie's supernatural elements, in particular her use of telekinesis, are terrifying for sure. But the true horror reveals itself earlier in the film in the young girl's mother; a true fanatical Christian hellbent on shaming and humiliating her daughter through religion. Carrie has the last laugh, though, in one of the more gory and horrific finales in film history.

• Oct 16, 2021

This horror classic was pretty good. Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, William Katt, Amy Irving, John Travolta, Nancy Allen, and the rest of the cast did a pretty good job in this movie. The plot of the movie was thrilling, dramatic, and pretty intense. After watching this movie, it shows how cruel some people can be and what people would do to take revenge on them. If you haven't seen this classic movie yet, check it out sometime. You'll probably enjoy it.

• Oct 12, 2021

The first in a still-ongoing series of Stephen King adaptations, Carrie does its job effectively. It's well-acted, disturbing, has characters that are more appalling and/or terrifying than any horror movie monster and, of course, the prom scene. Everybody knows about it these days but, ironically, knowing in advance what's going to happen just adds more of a sense of dread as we know damn well Carrie's happiness isn't going to last. It's probably why, though I've never seen a single film of his, that Hitchcock's philosophy about suspense stuck with me. Where the audience knows in advance about the bomb and the suspense comes from waiting for it to go off. It arguably helps that even within the narrative, it isn't even that much of a twist since we actively see bitchy girl and John Travolta, in his cinematic debut, actively plotting to ruin poor Carrie's day. All in all, Carrie is a horror classic and arguably deserves a position as one of the best Stephen King films to date.

• Oct 06, 2021

So bad as it is good in the first adaptation of Stephen King. The creative style of the director is something to celebrate. 6/10

• Sep 16, 2021

Carrie is an iconic film which in a lot of ways has stood the test of time. Every kid ever bullied relates to Carrie. It would have ranked higher on my list, but I loathe the fast-forward effect director Brian De Palma used on the shopping scene.

• Sep 12, 2021

The best movie based on a Stephen King novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best movie based on a Stephen King novel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Aug 29, 2021

28.08.2021 ---------

28.08.2021 ---------

• Aug 20, 2021

Again, I'm sure you've all seen it, but in the wake of recent Stephen King adapted remakes (Pet Sematary, Doctor Sleep) it's worth re-watching his best (ok, The Shawshank Redemption is also pretty damn good!) Carrie manages to cram in so many different issues into one short story, and Brian De Palma does an excellent job of addressing each one on screen, in a way that doesn't dilute from the overall theme. The film is terrifying, but not traditionally so, and this is Carrie's greatest strength. In a time when horror films were actually about something, Carrie was top of the pile.

• Aug 11, 2021

My favorite version, based on Stephen King's first novel. Spacek is perfect as Carrie White. She's not pretty (not saying she's ugly by no means). This was one (of many) complaints I had about the 2013 remake, for as much as I like Chloe Grace Moretz, she's just way to pretty to convince me she was an outcast and after her awesome work in 'Kick-Ass' it was even harder to convince me she could be a victim of bullying. Also, William Katt as Tommy Ross was a highlight, the guy was a genuine nice guy and it was tragic what happened to him. Nancy Allen as Kris was wicked and, as pretty hot as she was in this, I hated her with a passion. Everything just clicks in this one, making for a terrific suspense thriller. Director Brian De Palma does well in building suspense, taking cues from the master, Alfred Hitchcock.

• Jul 06, 2021

I never intended to watch Carrie but after reading so much about it's legacy and cult following, I decided to watch it. Movie's story was different for that time and could have been a better movie if there would have been better direction and execution. There were a lot of ups and downs throughout. The story was well-told but the pacing of the movie was bad. The pacing here was off, things that should have taken place didn't, or took too long to. Also, there were some plot holes and some of the characters performance were so bad. Some things in the movie were not fully explained either, it was just like story is going on without any reason. Showing climax in split screen was worst idea. Thr climax could have been so much effective but it was just fire and scream. Overall, you should not watch this movie because of it's has cult following but you should watch it if you like old time horror/ drama/ psychological thriller.