Colors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Colors Reviews

June 13, 2017
Strong portrayal of the gritty and chaotic life on both sides of the blue line. Sean Penn and Robert Duvall are excellent as partners on LA's gang taskforce. So many notables included in this film that have gone on to stardom, such as Don Cheadle.
May 4, 2017
Brutal and raw. The plot needed work. It's a hard movie to watch that won't hold your attention. (First and only viewing - 10/19/2016)
April 14, 2017
Story about two cops dealing with the gangs of Los Angeles. Too conventional. Nothing about these cops I cared about. Dennis Hopper sucks as a director.
March 18, 2017
gr8 performances here but I recently (this AM) re-watched and it feels dated and 1988 was a personal low in my life (I was homeless then).
½ September 7, 2016
Just not much that is great here. Nothing terrible though.
September 3, 2016
LA cops control the streets of the ghettos in this taunt urban drama directed by Dennis Hopper.
August 30, 2016
A surprisingly well directed film and manages to not seem formulaic unlike most of the other cop films out there however its a bit too familiar to be called a great movie alongside something like 'Serpico'. The combination of Robert Duvall and Sean Penn is fantastic and they help carry the film to success. The movie primarily talks about the increasing horror of the city taken over by gang members which as you could guess from the title is mostly race related. At the centre of it are the contradictory partners of the LAPD's gang crime division Bob Hodges and Danny McGavin and the story arc goes along the lines about how they approach the situation... with immediate force? or to play it smart and take your time? Eventually they both learn from each others characters, one more from the other as it becomes clear later. A bit too familiar but done well.
Probably the best part of the film was the 46th min. - 49th min. A really great piece of fimmaking that is.
½ February 19, 2016
Good old police procedural thriller.
January 31, 2016
You can't go wrong with a movie's music done by legendary Herbie Hancock.
December 6, 2015
I had seen this one several times when I was younger and really liked it. It's been ages since i last viewed so it was fun to see it again. Dennis Hopper directs, Robert Duvall and Sean Penn star, and Ice-T does the theme song. Worth checking out!
December 3, 2015
Two white cops, Bob "Uncle Bob" Hodges (Robert Duvall) a respected, 19-year LAPD veteran and rookie officer Danny McGavin (Sean Penn) have just been teamed together in the C.R.A.S.H. (Community Resources Against Street Hoodlums) unit that patrols East L.A. and South central. Bob is appreciated on the local streets. He is diplomatic on the surface, preaching "rapport" to gang members to encourage them to offer help when it is truly needed and recognizes that every action cops take is scrutinized by the very people they are trying to help. Hodges explains his view on policing to his young partner with a joke about bulls and cows. Although the pair bond quickly, life lessons are seemingly lost on the aggressive, cavalier McGavin, whose stunted actions soon bring him quick notoriety with the local gang members and the people themselves. When McGavin wrecks their first unmarked car during a pursuit, its replacement, painted a vivid yellow, results in McGavin being nicknamed "Pac-Man" by officers and gang members alike. McGavin also has a short lived romance with a waitress named Louisa (María Conchita Alonso) who, like the offended Hodges, feels the weight of the Pac-Man persona. Amidst the strains of these relationships, the murder of a Bloods gang member leads to a series of escalations between two other street gangs. A series of seemingly random incidents culminates in a plot that finds the two partners in the middle of the Crips, Bloods and Hispanic Barrio war...

"Colors" is an intense, violent and powerful movie putting the finger on the gangland in Los Angeles during the 80s, I doubt however that much has changed since then. Dennis Hopper´s direction is dynamic, handheld and very much in your face which fits with the film and the genre itself. The plot is a bit floaty and the movie is more or less a case study of two cops and their normal days on the beat in the rough parts of L.A. It´s about values, class system, wanting to belong, poverty, violence, drugs, gangs and the everyday life in between. The balance between the cops and the gangs are straight forward and I reckon quite given, maybe even a bit cartoony. I personally think that Penn and Duvall are really they only ones putting on a solid performance, while most gang members (known actors and others) leaves you with a bit more to wish for. I saw this at the movies in 1988 and when re-seeing it now I couldn´t help feeling that "Colors" is such a classic action drama of the 80s (which it is) in so many ways. But, now it´s so obvious. It´s an ok film, but not wow in my book.
½ September 17, 2015
Dennis Hopper directs Robert Duvall and Sean Penn in a gang land crime thriller which has plenty to say and is occasionally funny. The story whilst a little obvious and clichéd to today's audience in it's own time must been a different beast.
June 20, 2015
I love this app and this movie
May 21, 2015
Cops battle gang warfare in beautiful East LA. Duvall is excellent as always. I remember this being very controversial when it was released and video includes remark 'now watch in the safety of your own home'. Possibly in keeping with his character, Penn was arrested for punching an extra during filming.
April 15, 2015
a lot of great talent on camera but the overall outcome is acceptable but not substancial.
February 7, 2015
More of a story about the stressful relationship between 2 cops with gang life as a backdrop than an actual gangsploitation, but has good several plots all while the main story develops. Also a good period piece of 1980s street gangsterism.
½ February 5, 2015
Joke cartoon that takes itself too seriously. Wooden acting and directing by clueless honkies.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A superb cop movie with Sean Penn and Robert Duvall as 2 cops cleaning up the streets in LA. These kind of movies with gangs fights are always fun to watch especially when its a well made movie with great acting like this. Enjoy this 80's flick..
November 28, 2014
Still holds up as one of the great 80s cops n gang warfare movies.
October 14, 2014
Réalisé par Dennis Hopper, Color est un excellent film policier situé dans le bourbier de South Central pendant les années 80, dominé par un duo extrêmement complémentaire entre la force tranquille de Robert Duvall et l'explosivité de Sean Penn. Les seconds rôles sont excellents et la bande-son parfaite. On ne peut alors que regretter le fait que l'intrigue principale dans la deuxième heure soit beaucoup moins réussie que la chronique de la première et se perde un peu.