Fatal Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fatal Attraction Reviews

½ March 11, 2017
A truly disturbing and heart-pounding movie in all the right ways. And as it goes on it only gets more intense. It had me glued to the screen the whole way through. The kidnapping towards the end felt pointless though, and unlike the rest of the film the ending is so predictable and formulaic that I was practically reciting it in my head as it was happening. It was well worth watching though, and I would certainly recommend it.
March 1, 2017
Great movie, wish I'd seen it ages ago!
½ December 30, 2016
"You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan!"

An area that seems to be central to many psychological thrillers is the conflict between jilted lovers. This concept is displayed most prevalently in the film Fatal Attraction. After a night of passion, New York attorney Dan finds himself being staked by Alex, the woman who he attempted to have an affair with. This film has three intriguing performances in its two leads. Michael Douglas plays Dan with a wide variety of emotion. He is believable in his fear, panic and angry. The subtle changes in his face conveys so much with so little. While he is jutted in his anger at times, there are moments where he is unlikeable at times. Equally impressive is Glenn Close as Alex. She is initially sweet and innocent but she slowly develops an psychotic and creepy person. She performs this switch with ease. However, she is still pitiful even when she is committing terrible acts. The problem with her performance is she initially does not appear to be so incredible that Dan would be willing to risk everything in an affair. The music of the film punctuates important scenes and adds to uneasiness of the various situations. It particularly impressive when it is able to shift the mood or tone of a long continuous take.The editing is also effective at creating a difference in feeling and mood of different scenes. For instance, it can be fast and energetic at the beginning of the affair and eventually becomes long and drawn out when emotions get serious. This juxtaposition of different scenes helps shift the mood of the film.
The suicide attempt scene is a combination of great directing, acting, editing, music, shock and unexpectedness of such a massive event effective. It helps set the stakes and emotional state for characters early in the film. The directing of this film is also impressive. As the film develops, it becomes that a phone ringing causes panic in characters and viewers. Some shots are directed almost like they are spying on events. There are some problems in the film. the child actor in this is not the worst but not the best. She feels forced at times or unnecessary at others. The pacing of the film is also inconsistent with definite dips in energy or momentum that had been building for a few scenes. Additionally, there is unclear motivation for some of the characters. They can change their outlook on the situation or other characters extremely quickly without any explanation or time. Finally, without spoiling the film, the ending of the film is somewhat predictable. It is done well but the way it is directed and edited gives away what is going to occur before it happens onscreen. This type of editing and directing hinders the suspense and horror of the ending. Overall Fatal Attraction is an excellent example of the ex-lover phycological thriller genre. I would recommend it to fans of the genre or those who enjoy a creepy performance like the one Close gives.
November 19, 2016
Honestly this is just a mediocre film at best. I can't understand why this is supposed to be so critically acclaimed.
November 6, 2016
Ticks every box for a great mystery and suspense spectacle. Unbelievably tense throughout
½ October 16, 2016
Thirty years later and "Fatal Attraction" still provides an absorbent, unsettling viewing, thus honoring it's name.
½ October 9, 2016
Chills for sexy and scary reasons
October 3, 2016
A little bit predictable in places, but a ride nonetheless
½ September 19, 2016
I'm of two minds when it comes to Fatal Attraction. On the one hand I think it is a supremely effective morality tale that displays an extreme example of the way lies compound upon lies, and how they can destroy relationships/lives. On the other hand, I get basically zero enjoyment out of watching the film. It makes me uncomfortable and uneasy, but isn't that precisely the intent? So, while my rating is middling it's more of a reflection of how I don't like this kind of movie, not a criticism of their execution. One complaint I do have with the film, and this is probably more my personal issue, but I always struggle with Glenn Close playing the temptress. She's a great actress and completely believable as the psycho woman later, but she doesn't come across as this seductress who instantly turns the head of every married man. Aside from that, this film is a taut thriller that does an excellent job of building suspense. I think another big reason I don't love the movie is that I don't sympathize with the protagonist. While the events of the film are extreme, I have this tendency to think "You made your bed, now lie in it." At a certain point things start to involve his wife and daughter, and then I have emotional stakes, but it takes a long time before it gets there. Again, I think Fatal Attraction is a strong film at making a point, but its not the kind of point that I will want to watch again or recommend to other people.
½ September 16, 2016
There's one reason to watch this movie, in my opinion: Glenn Close.
September 9, 2016
Glenn Close gives a suspenseful performance, but good lord, she is not an attractive woman at all.
½ September 2, 2016
A good thriller. I'm not sure what was more disturbing, the rabbit boiling in the pot or Michael Douglas' little girl's bad haircut.
August 15, 2016
Fatal Attraction is a thriller directed by Adrian Lyne in 1987 which focuses on themes of infidelity and responsibility. It stars Michael Douglas and Glenn Close and become one of the most well known movies of both actors' careers.
Michael Douglas plays Dan Gallagher an attorney who lives with his wife, daughter, and dog in New York. At a business event, Dan meets Alex Forrest, played by Glenn Close, who is a publishing editor. Soon after, Dan's wife and daughter have a weekend away and Dan has an affair with Alex. Regretting his mistake, Dan tries to end the relationship, but he quickly learns that he cannot undo his actions that easily, and Alex may be more dangerous than he thought.
Fatal Attraction is an excellent slow-burn thrill ride. The first half hour is quite slow, but the twists from that point onwards keep the plot cranking along at an excellent pace. The more obsessed and insistent that Alex becomes with Dan the more pressure you can feel within the film, almost like a suffocation feeling. The film emphasises this with constant phone calls from her character, at Dan's work and home, demonstrating her persistence. I interpreted Alex's character to be representative of Dan's guilt from the affair, and that, even though he wanted to stop seeing her, his guilt was always there, getting worse and worse, building throughout the movie. Throughout the film, Dan makes multiple efforts to disconnect himself from Alex, but she always strikes back in ways that imperil his marriage and his life. The film has excellent dialogue between the two main characters as things increase in intensity. There are a few parallels to the opera Madame Butterfly which are mentioned throughout the film.
The film is constructed very tightly. Once the film moves into its second act the scenes feel like they have certain urgency to them, and there is some quite well done camera work that captures a lot of Dan's struggles to keep his secrets hidden. Often the camera will fixate on one thing that is important to Dan and the audience, but Dan's wife, Anne, does not know about. This brings a lot of tension and dramatic irony to the visuals.
The acting is incredibly well done, too. Michael Douglas is wonderful to watch, and would later be typecast into sort of weak and fallible roles due to this movie. Glenn Close is also wonderful, and the two actors share engage in a sort of acting tug of war as they oppose each other. Glenn Close pushes her acting to be both believable and exaggeratedly menacing.
Fatal Attraction is a simple but effective film. Once the film gets going it is very hard to look away. The brilliant acting pits these two characters against each other, and the firm direction keeps the film building towards a spectacular final act.
½ August 15, 2016
An affair goes deadly when the scorned Glenn Close seeks revenge on the married Michael Douglas. It's sexy and suspenseful.
July 29, 2016
Still holds up really well and clearly set a standard for building suspense. I admired its shocking ending and overall found it fascinating how Douglas manages to make the audience feel bad for him despite his transgressions. Overall from start to finish gripping and the acting, dialogue and editing are top notch. Good movie.
July 18, 2016
It's rare that a horror movie is so grounded in reality. Glenn Close steals the show and is scary as hell.
½ July 2, 2016
Not a bad movie, not a bad movie at all, but a Best Picture nomination? Really? The 80s were a strange time for movies.
½ June 23, 2016
A taut thriller that grabs you and refuses to let go, Fatal Attraction delivers fine and powerful performances from Michael Douglas and Glenn Close and proves the inevitable and deadly consequences of adultery.
½ May 31, 2016
A bit slow to begin with, Fatal Attraction borrowed elements from Psycho but unleashed the thriller elements. It may seem a bit corny now, but it was one of the finest when it was released.
May 17, 2016
I am less impressed than most. Typical story of every cheating husband's worst nightmare coming true. An overrated Michael Douglas being his normal stone faced self, add in a boiled rabbit and you have this boring film.