Fatal Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fatal Attraction Reviews

June 10, 2017
A tense thriller that keeps you in suspense, but the ending doesn't quite sit right with me. You can't fully forgive the main character for being so sleazy in the first place. (First and only full viewing - 9/22/2009)
½ June 10, 2017
Surprisingly good thriller from 1987 that had somehow escaped my attention.
It has excellent performances from its leads a youthful Michael Douglas as Dan Gallagher, Anne Archer as his seemingly happily married wife with a 5 year old daughter, Beth Gallagher and Glenn Close as villain of the piece Alex Forrest.
The story sets up with Dan watching his wife and daughter visit the in-laws one weekend.
He keeps bumping into new work colleague Alex and the inevitable eye contact, making the other one know they have ice-cream on their nose, can I buy you a drink occurs....
In battering New York City rain Alex and Dan escape to the confines of a dry, warm restaurant. Before you know it. Bob's your uncle a one night stand is in action with highly charged scenes of sexual intercourse around Alex's apartment.
What starts as an 'innocent?' one night stand for Dan becomes a nightmare for Dan as Alex just won't let Dan forget with endless phone calls to work and home, visiting him and Beth at their under sale apartment as a prospective purchaser and vandalism of his car with acid.
Even the poor rabbit (pet) becomes involved in her wild claws. She will not let Dan go!
Dan tries everything to end the harrassment from simply changing his telephone number to personal reasoning with Alex but if anything it just makes her worse and nore dangerous as the film goes on.
I don't want to give away the entire screenplay but Alex drops the inevitable baby bombshell to Dan to add yet more despair for him. As the police say to him bluntly he made his bed, lie in it!
As the film goes on the Gallaghers move to a shiny, new home in the New York state countryside.
The pet rabbit as mentioned becomes a poor victim of Alex's destructive path.
Knives, blood, bathroom scenes are involved in a crescendo that becomes more horror slasher in genre but somehow the early scenes of the film and direction from Adrian Lyne stop the film descending quite into Freddy Krueger territory.
As mentioned I believe the casting and cast performances add extra impetus to the quality of the film.
Close excels as the femme fatale with eyes like contact lenses.
The screenplay is quite gripping and adds an adult sexual tension to a standard horror film.
The cinematography is very of the era and the film has aged. Consideting it is thirty years old that is not surprisingly really!
I was left interested and fully awake throughout the teo hour runtime which on a 9pm viewing on a Friday evening takes a good film usually.
June 9, 2017
Wow. I had always heard about this film growing up but had never seen it until this week. My God, I wish they still made movies like this because it was raw, realistic, emotional, well acted, it's just not something you find these days. Everything has to be fireworks and horror scenes now. This was a psychological thriller
May 21, 2017
This is my kind of movie; genre and all, and with solid execution, it really gripped me until the end.
April 22, 2017
A classic thriller that spawned a lot of imitators, Fatal Attraction gives a very career-defining turn for Glenn Close and Michael Douglas
½ March 11, 2017
A truly disturbing and heart-pounding movie in all the right ways. And as it goes on it only gets more intense. It had me glued to the screen the whole way through. The kidnapping towards the end felt pointless though, and unlike the rest of the film the ending is so predictable and formulaic that I was practically reciting it in my head as it was happening. It was well worth watching though, and I would certainly recommend it.
March 1, 2017
Great movie, wish I'd seen it ages ago!
½ December 30, 2016
"You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan!"

An area that seems to be central to many psychological thrillers is the conflict between jilted lovers. This concept is displayed most prevalently in the film Fatal Attraction. After a night of passion, New York attorney Dan finds himself being staked by Alex, the woman who he attempted to have an affair with. This film has three intriguing performances in its two leads. Michael Douglas plays Dan with a wide variety of emotion. He is believable in his fear, panic and angry. The subtle changes in his face conveys so much with so little. While he is jutted in his anger at times, there are moments where he is unlikeable at times. Equally impressive is Glenn Close as Alex. She is initially sweet and innocent but she slowly develops an psychotic and creepy person. She performs this switch with ease. However, she is still pitiful even when she is committing terrible acts. The problem with her performance is she initially does not appear to be so incredible that Dan would be willing to risk everything in an affair. The music of the film punctuates important scenes and adds to uneasiness of the various situations. It particularly impressive when it is able to shift the mood or tone of a long continuous take.The editing is also effective at creating a difference in feeling and mood of different scenes. For instance, it can be fast and energetic at the beginning of the affair and eventually becomes long and drawn out when emotions get serious. This juxtaposition of different scenes helps shift the mood of the film.
The suicide attempt scene is a combination of great directing, acting, editing, music, shock and unexpectedness of such a massive event effective. It helps set the stakes and emotional state for characters early in the film. The directing of this film is also impressive. As the film develops, it becomes that a phone ringing causes panic in characters and viewers. Some shots are directed almost like they are spying on events. There are some problems in the film. the child actor in this is not the worst but not the best. She feels forced at times or unnecessary at others. The pacing of the film is also inconsistent with definite dips in energy or momentum that had been building for a few scenes. Additionally, there is unclear motivation for some of the characters. They can change their outlook on the situation or other characters extremely quickly without any explanation or time. Finally, without spoiling the film, the ending of the film is somewhat predictable. It is done well but the way it is directed and edited gives away what is going to occur before it happens onscreen. This type of editing and directing hinders the suspense and horror of the ending. Overall Fatal Attraction is an excellent example of the ex-lover phycological thriller genre. I would recommend it to fans of the genre or those who enjoy a creepy performance like the one Close gives.
November 19, 2016
Honestly this is just a mediocre film at best. I can't understand why this is supposed to be so critically acclaimed.
November 6, 2016
Ticks every box for a great mystery and suspense spectacle. Unbelievably tense throughout
½ October 16, 2016
Thirty years later and "Fatal Attraction" still provides an absorbent, unsettling viewing, thus honoring it's name.
½ October 9, 2016
Chills for sexy and scary reasons
October 3, 2016
A little bit predictable in places, but a ride nonetheless
½ September 19, 2016
I'm of two minds when it comes to Fatal Attraction. On the one hand I think it is a supremely effective morality tale that displays an extreme example of the way lies compound upon lies, and how they can destroy relationships/lives. On the other hand, I get basically zero enjoyment out of watching the film. It makes me uncomfortable and uneasy, but isn't that precisely the intent? So, while my rating is middling it's more of a reflection of how I don't like this kind of movie, not a criticism of their execution. One complaint I do have with the film, and this is probably more my personal issue, but I always struggle with Glenn Close playing the temptress. She's a great actress and completely believable as the psycho woman later, but she doesn't come across as this seductress who instantly turns the head of every married man. Aside from that, this film is a taut thriller that does an excellent job of building suspense. I think another big reason I don't love the movie is that I don't sympathize with the protagonist. While the events of the film are extreme, I have this tendency to think "You made your bed, now lie in it." At a certain point things start to involve his wife and daughter, and then I have emotional stakes, but it takes a long time before it gets there. Again, I think Fatal Attraction is a strong film at making a point, but its not the kind of point that I will want to watch again or recommend to other people.
½ September 16, 2016
There's one reason to watch this movie, in my opinion: Glenn Close.
September 9, 2016
Glenn Close gives a suspenseful performance, but good lord, she is not an attractive woman at all.
½ September 2, 2016
A good thriller. I'm not sure what was more disturbing, the rabbit boiling in the pot or Michael Douglas' little girl's bad haircut.
August 15, 2016
Fatal Attraction is a thriller directed by Adrian Lyne in 1987 which focuses on themes of infidelity and responsibility. It stars Michael Douglas and Glenn Close and become one of the most well known movies of both actors' careers.
Michael Douglas plays Dan Gallagher an attorney who lives with his wife, daughter, and dog in New York. At a business event, Dan meets Alex Forrest, played by Glenn Close, who is a publishing editor. Soon after, Dan's wife and daughter have a weekend away and Dan has an affair with Alex. Regretting his mistake, Dan tries to end the relationship, but he quickly learns that he cannot undo his actions that easily, and Alex may be more dangerous than he thought.
Fatal Attraction is an excellent slow-burn thrill ride. The first half hour is quite slow, but the twists from that point onwards keep the plot cranking along at an excellent pace. The more obsessed and insistent that Alex becomes with Dan the more pressure you can feel within the film, almost like a suffocation feeling. The film emphasises this with constant phone calls from her character, at Dan's work and home, demonstrating her persistence. I interpreted Alex's character to be representative of Dan's guilt from the affair, and that, even though he wanted to stop seeing her, his guilt was always there, getting worse and worse, building throughout the movie. Throughout the film, Dan makes multiple efforts to disconnect himself from Alex, but she always strikes back in ways that imperil his marriage and his life. The film has excellent dialogue between the two main characters as things increase in intensity. There are a few parallels to the opera Madame Butterfly which are mentioned throughout the film.
The film is constructed very tightly. Once the film moves into its second act the scenes feel like they have certain urgency to them, and there is some quite well done camera work that captures a lot of Dan's struggles to keep his secrets hidden. Often the camera will fixate on one thing that is important to Dan and the audience, but Dan's wife, Anne, does not know about. This brings a lot of tension and dramatic irony to the visuals.
The acting is incredibly well done, too. Michael Douglas is wonderful to watch, and would later be typecast into sort of weak and fallible roles due to this movie. Glenn Close is also wonderful, and the two actors share engage in a sort of acting tug of war as they oppose each other. Glenn Close pushes her acting to be both believable and exaggeratedly menacing.
Fatal Attraction is a simple but effective film. Once the film gets going it is very hard to look away. The brilliant acting pits these two characters against each other, and the firm direction keeps the film building towards a spectacular final act.
½ August 15, 2016
An affair goes deadly when the scorned Glenn Close seeks revenge on the married Michael Douglas. It's sexy and suspenseful.
July 29, 2016
Still holds up really well and clearly set a standard for building suspense. I admired its shocking ending and overall found it fascinating how Douglas manages to make the audience feel bad for him despite his transgressions. Overall from start to finish gripping and the acting, dialogue and editing are top notch. Good movie.