Fatal Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fatal Attraction Reviews

½ October 16, 2016
Thirty years later and "Fatal Attraction" still provides an absorbent, unsettling viewing, thus honoring it's name.
½ October 9, 2016
Chills for sexy and scary reasons
October 3, 2016
A little bit predictable in places, but a ride nonetheless
½ September 19, 2016
I'm of two minds when it comes to Fatal Attraction. On the one hand I think it is a supremely effective morality tale that displays an extreme example of the way lies compound upon lies, and how they can destroy relationships/lives. On the other hand, I get basically zero enjoyment out of watching the film. It makes me uncomfortable and uneasy, but isn't that precisely the intent? So, while my rating is middling it's more of a reflection of how I don't like this kind of movie, not a criticism of their execution. One complaint I do have with the film, and this is probably more my personal issue, but I always struggle with Glenn Close playing the temptress. She's a great actress and completely believable as the psycho woman later, but she doesn't come across as this seductress who instantly turns the head of every married man. Aside from that, this film is a taut thriller that does an excellent job of building suspense. I think another big reason I don't love the movie is that I don't sympathize with the protagonist. While the events of the film are extreme, I have this tendency to think "You made your bed, now lie in it." At a certain point things start to involve his wife and daughter, and then I have emotional stakes, but it takes a long time before it gets there. Again, I think Fatal Attraction is a strong film at making a point, but its not the kind of point that I will want to watch again or recommend to other people.
½ September 16, 2016
There's one reason to watch this movie, in my opinion: Glenn Close.
September 9, 2016
Glenn Close gives a suspenseful performance, but good lord, she is not an attractive woman at all.
½ September 2, 2016
A good thriller. I'm not sure what was more disturbing, the rabbit boiling in the pot or Michael Douglas' little girl's bad haircut.
August 15, 2016
Fatal Attraction is a thriller directed by Adrian Lyne in 1987 which focuses on themes of infidelity and responsibility. It stars Michael Douglas and Glenn Close and become one of the most well known movies of both actors' careers.
Michael Douglas plays Dan Gallagher an attorney who lives with his wife, daughter, and dog in New York. At a business event, Dan meets Alex Forrest, played by Glenn Close, who is a publishing editor. Soon after, Dan's wife and daughter have a weekend away and Dan has an affair with Alex. Regretting his mistake, Dan tries to end the relationship, but he quickly learns that he cannot undo his actions that easily, and Alex may be more dangerous than he thought.
Fatal Attraction is an excellent slow-burn thrill ride. The first half hour is quite slow, but the twists from that point onwards keep the plot cranking along at an excellent pace. The more obsessed and insistent that Alex becomes with Dan the more pressure you can feel within the film, almost like a suffocation feeling. The film emphasises this with constant phone calls from her character, at Dan's work and home, demonstrating her persistence. I interpreted Alex's character to be representative of Dan's guilt from the affair, and that, even though he wanted to stop seeing her, his guilt was always there, getting worse and worse, building throughout the movie. Throughout the film, Dan makes multiple efforts to disconnect himself from Alex, but she always strikes back in ways that imperil his marriage and his life. The film has excellent dialogue between the two main characters as things increase in intensity. There are a few parallels to the opera Madame Butterfly which are mentioned throughout the film.
The film is constructed very tightly. Once the film moves into its second act the scenes feel like they have certain urgency to them, and there is some quite well done camera work that captures a lot of Dan's struggles to keep his secrets hidden. Often the camera will fixate on one thing that is important to Dan and the audience, but Dan's wife, Anne, does not know about. This brings a lot of tension and dramatic irony to the visuals.
The acting is incredibly well done, too. Michael Douglas is wonderful to watch, and would later be typecast into sort of weak and fallible roles due to this movie. Glenn Close is also wonderful, and the two actors share engage in a sort of acting tug of war as they oppose each other. Glenn Close pushes her acting to be both believable and exaggeratedly menacing.
Fatal Attraction is a simple but effective film. Once the film gets going it is very hard to look away. The brilliant acting pits these two characters against each other, and the firm direction keeps the film building towards a spectacular final act.
½ August 15, 2016
An affair goes deadly when the scorned Glenn Close seeks revenge on the married Michael Douglas. It's sexy and suspenseful.
July 29, 2016
Still holds up really well and clearly set a standard for building suspense. I admired its shocking ending and overall found it fascinating how Douglas manages to make the audience feel bad for him despite his transgressions. Overall from start to finish gripping and the acting, dialogue and editing are top notch. Good movie.
July 18, 2016
It's rare that a horror movie is so grounded in reality. Glenn Close steals the show and is scary as hell.
½ July 2, 2016
Not a bad movie, not a bad movie at all, but a Best Picture nomination? Really? The 80s were a strange time for movies.
½ June 23, 2016
A taut thriller that grabs you and refuses to let go, Fatal Attraction delivers fine and powerful performances from Michael Douglas and Glenn Close and proves the inevitable and deadly consequences of adultery.
½ May 31, 2016
A bit slow to begin with, Fatal Attraction borrowed elements from Psycho but unleashed the thriller elements. It may seem a bit corny now, but it was one of the finest when it was released.
May 17, 2016
I am less impressed than most. Typical story of every cheating husband's worst nightmare coming true. An overrated Michael Douglas being his normal stone faced self, add in a boiled rabbit and you have this boring film.
May 16, 2016
Sivistysaukkojen paikkailua! Nykymittareillahan tämä on ihan totaalisen urpo. Loppuratkaisu on sitten taattu 80- ja 90-luvun jännäriklisee. Olihan tässä pari klassista kohtausta toki.

P.S. Sen verran pitää kyllä ulkonäköasioihin puuttua että Anne Archerin, joka on tässä elokuvassa upeampi kuin koskaan, vaihtaminen rumahkoon Glenn Closeen on epäuskottavuuksien huipentuma.

** /5
½ April 30, 2016
A great thriller about infidelity, one of the more influential films of that genre. It's hard to feel sorry for Michael Douglas though, when he knowingly cheats...
½ April 22, 2016
Aptly titled thriller has married man spending a wonderful weekend with an attractive, intelligent professional acquaintance who harbours some deeper emotional issues once he attempts to cut the affair off. I had a sense of deja vu watching this film, until finally realizing its plot was generously lifted by BODY CHEMISTRY. Second highest grossing film of 1987.
March 11, 2016
An attorney for a publishing company finds out the hard way that a harmless fling with a woman can be the beginning of a nightmare, especially if the lady decides that she likes the man, married or not, and refuses to let him end their affair. This glossy thriller plumbs the psyche of a neurotic woman who has issues and demons in her past that drive her to get even with and destroy a stranger with whom she just met after a wild weekend's sexual binge while his wife and daughter were out of town. Glenn Close is chilling as the predatory female who stalks her erstwhile lover, harassing him at every turn, destroying his property and engaging in emotional blackmail of the basest kind. Michael Douglas, as the spurned woman's target and victim, is desperate to keep his indiscretion hidden from his attractive wife, the classy Anne Archer. The cinematography is rich with excellent color and texture, especially the twilight scenes, and the music is spare with subtle shadings. The entire cast is top-notch, especially Close who eyes Douglas the way a python looks at a mouse.