Fatal Attraction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fatal Attraction Reviews

½ November 3, 2017
I did not expect to like this, but for all the corny 80s tendencies, there is some strong depth to the characters. Mainly, I didn't expect for my allegiance to move between Douglas and Close in such complex ways. She is crazy, certainly, but he is just such a straight-up awful person for most of the film that he's deserving of her crazy. With strong direction, great editing, and incredible performances (especially from Close), its brains and thrills overshadow its cheese.
September 27, 2017
This film is guilty of justifying violence against women. Alex is possessive, intense, and emotional. She possesses all the characteristics of a woman who "deserves" condemnation-at least according to popular opinion. It's totally dismissive and problematic. The film is so clearly biased in favor of the male counterpart in an affair.

BUT Alex had every right to expect Dan to follow up on their affair. Some men like to be casual adulterers, but it's not that simple. They have a responsibility to the woman. And women do not deserve to be rendered psychos for having expectation of those men. Much less brutally disposed of.
½ September 23, 2017
So I think people think that this is not the most popular film out there. Well, I disagree with them. Fatal Attraction is a great film about a man named Dan Gallagher who loves Beth but was obsessed by Alex Forrest who is not going be ignored. Great acting, story and directing. Michael Douglas and Glenn Close had great acting skills especially Anne Archer. It had some thrills and drama that really does fill the story. It has some erotic scenes in it but it's not just about that, it's about the thrills that really does stick into you. I absolutely love it. I love the scenes that really does thrill. The scene where Dan wants revenge on Alex for kidnapping his son and the ending where he shoves her face in the bath of water killing her.

***WARNING/SPOILER ALERT***

This is not the original ending. What I found out that this is the alternative ending. The original ending is that after he wanted revenge on Alex Forrest and went to the police, the police are at Dan's house telling him that she is dead making him confused and realising that she killed herself telling them he didn't kill her but was arrested. Beth found the tape of Alex recorded her voice making her realize that she can't let go of Dan.

And there you have it. My mum had watch the ending with me watching what was happening. We watch the ending all the way through until we realize that Alex Forrest killing herself by cut her own neck with a sharp knife. Ouch. I actually know that the director told me that the ending that people are watching was not the original ending and told me and others to decide which ending is best for them. Not mention that my mum told me not to get upset and frightened by the bunny boiler where Beth found a dead rabbit in the pan and Dan know that Alex did this. As to say, I am not upset and frightened by that scene because I'm not a wuss. Anyways, that's Fatal Attraction. This is the film like most of the films that is thrilling and gripping that'll keep you on the edge of the seat. While Fatal Attraction is not popular to the audience. I recommend people who haven't seen it, give it a high rating of your life time. You will not regret it. I love it for it's acting, story and the directing. There is a film that is exactly the same thing which is directed by Clint Eastwood.
½ September 18, 2017
Glenn Close and Michael Douglas work so amazingly together
this is the sex-thriller that inspired countless copycats and essentially so many of Lifetime's feature films
the pacing is very slow but it boils down to an inevitable confrontation because of a choice these two made on their own
this man is married and has a family but chose to go on this dangerous path with this woman he met
who's the more rational? who's the more irresponsible? it's really more of a fatal attraction than anything yet neither could've predicted how obsessive, violent or blood-filled it turns into
hell hath no fury like a fling that's simply pushed aside like it never happened
the ending is predictable yes but it's freaking intense
check it out to see what the fuss is about
August 27, 2017
Fantastic thriller of what potentially happens if he cheats
FiLmCrAzY
August 22, 2017
A film of it's time maybe? For Me, it was an obvious thriller that had a predictable ending. Glenn Close has often shown she plays the psycho antagonist very well, and she does a magnificent job as Alex Forest. Close beautifully blends the menacing obsessed bit on the side with the fractured and tormented personality of a woman with mental illness, but I would have liked a bit more from her character development.
½ August 19, 2017
Glenn Close is both surprisingly able to be sexy and creepy, and sometimes at the same time.
August 1, 2017
Never understood why this was such a viseral movie to people. It really is just a simple movie about adultry. I guess the acting is supposed to set it apart but I found Glenn Close's interpretation of the character too silly to be believable.
June 10, 2017
A tense thriller that keeps you in suspense, but the ending doesn't quite sit right with me. You can't fully forgive the main character for being so sleazy in the first place. (First and only full viewing - 9/22/2009)
½ June 10, 2017
Surprisingly good thriller from 1987 that had somehow escaped my attention.
It has excellent performances from its leads a youthful Michael Douglas as Dan Gallagher, Anne Archer as his seemingly happily married wife with a 5 year old daughter, Beth Gallagher and Glenn Close as villain of the piece Alex Forrest.
The story sets up with Dan watching his wife and daughter visit the in-laws one weekend.
He keeps bumping into new work colleague Alex and the inevitable eye contact, making the other one know they have ice-cream on their nose, can I buy you a drink occurs....
In battering New York City rain Alex and Dan escape to the confines of a dry, warm restaurant. Before you know it. Bob's your uncle a one night stand is in action with highly charged scenes of sexual intercourse around Alex's apartment.
What starts as an 'innocent?' one night stand for Dan becomes a nightmare for Dan as Alex just won't let Dan forget with endless phone calls to work and home, visiting him and Beth at their under sale apartment as a prospective purchaser and vandalism of his car with acid.
Even the poor rabbit (pet) becomes involved in her wild claws. She will not let Dan go!
Dan tries everything to end the harrassment from simply changing his telephone number to personal reasoning with Alex but if anything it just makes her worse and nore dangerous as the film goes on.
I don't want to give away the entire screenplay but Alex drops the inevitable baby bombshell to Dan to add yet more despair for him. As the police say to him bluntly he made his bed, lie in it!
As the film goes on the Gallaghers move to a shiny, new home in the New York state countryside.
The pet rabbit as mentioned becomes a poor victim of Alex's destructive path.
Knives, blood, bathroom scenes are involved in a crescendo that becomes more horror slasher in genre but somehow the early scenes of the film and direction from Adrian Lyne stop the film descending quite into Freddy Krueger territory.
As mentioned I believe the casting and cast performances add extra impetus to the quality of the film.
Close excels as the femme fatale with eyes like contact lenses.
The screenplay is quite gripping and adds an adult sexual tension to a standard horror film.
The cinematography is very of the era and the film has aged. Consideting it is thirty years old that is not surprisingly really!
I was left interested and fully awake throughout the teo hour runtime which on a 9pm viewing on a Friday evening takes a good film usually.
June 9, 2017
Wow. I had always heard about this film growing up but had never seen it until this week. My God, I wish they still made movies like this because it was raw, realistic, emotional, well acted, it's just not something you find these days. Everything has to be fireworks and horror scenes now. This was a psychological thriller
May 21, 2017
This is my kind of movie; genre and all, and with solid execution, it really gripped me until the end.
April 22, 2017
A classic thriller that spawned a lot of imitators, Fatal Attraction gives a very career-defining turn for Glenn Close and Michael Douglas
½ March 11, 2017
A truly disturbing and heart-pounding movie in all the right ways. And as it goes on it only gets more intense. It had me glued to the screen the whole way through. The kidnapping towards the end felt pointless though, and unlike the rest of the film the ending is so predictable and formulaic that I was practically reciting it in my head as it was happening. It was well worth watching though, and I would certainly recommend it.
March 1, 2017
Great movie, wish I'd seen it ages ago!
½ December 30, 2016
"You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not gonna be ignored, Dan!"

An area that seems to be central to many psychological thrillers is the conflict between jilted lovers. This concept is displayed most prevalently in the film Fatal Attraction. After a night of passion, New York attorney Dan finds himself being staked by Alex, the woman who he attempted to have an affair with. This film has three intriguing performances in its two leads. Michael Douglas plays Dan with a wide variety of emotion. He is believable in his fear, panic and angry. The subtle changes in his face conveys so much with so little. While he is jutted in his anger at times, there are moments where he is unlikeable at times. Equally impressive is Glenn Close as Alex. She is initially sweet and innocent but she slowly develops an psychotic and creepy person. She performs this switch with ease. However, she is still pitiful even when she is committing terrible acts. The problem with her performance is she initially does not appear to be so incredible that Dan would be willing to risk everything in an affair. The music of the film punctuates important scenes and adds to uneasiness of the various situations. It particularly impressive when it is able to shift the mood or tone of a long continuous take.The editing is also effective at creating a difference in feeling and mood of different scenes. For instance, it can be fast and energetic at the beginning of the affair and eventually becomes long and drawn out when emotions get serious. This juxtaposition of different scenes helps shift the mood of the film.
The suicide attempt scene is a combination of great directing, acting, editing, music, shock and unexpectedness of such a massive event effective. It helps set the stakes and emotional state for characters early in the film. The directing of this film is also impressive. As the film develops, it becomes that a phone ringing causes panic in characters and viewers. Some shots are directed almost like they are spying on events. There are some problems in the film. the child actor in this is not the worst but not the best. She feels forced at times or unnecessary at others. The pacing of the film is also inconsistent with definite dips in energy or momentum that had been building for a few scenes. Additionally, there is unclear motivation for some of the characters. They can change their outlook on the situation or other characters extremely quickly without any explanation or time. Finally, without spoiling the film, the ending of the film is somewhat predictable. It is done well but the way it is directed and edited gives away what is going to occur before it happens onscreen. This type of editing and directing hinders the suspense and horror of the ending. Overall Fatal Attraction is an excellent example of the ex-lover phycological thriller genre. I would recommend it to fans of the genre or those who enjoy a creepy performance like the one Close gives.
November 19, 2016
Honestly this is just a mediocre film at best. I can't understand why this is supposed to be so critically acclaimed.
November 6, 2016
Ticks every box for a great mystery and suspense spectacle. Unbelievably tense throughout
½ October 16, 2016
Thirty years later and "Fatal Attraction" still provides an absorbent, unsettling viewing, thus honoring it's name.
½ October 9, 2016
Chills for sexy and scary reasons