100 Bloody Acres - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

100 Bloody Acres Reviews

½ April 24, 2016
A Funny and Twisted Dark Comedy.

I ran across this movie while looking up information on the actor Angus Sampson, after I finished the second season of Fargo. I was impressed with his serious and somewhat viciously silent portrayal of Bear Gerhart, and wanted to look up a couple of his other films. I wasn't disappointed with '100 Bloody Acres, and is a great addition to the dark-comedy genre.

The real gem in this film is the comedy duo of Reg and Lindsay Morgan; two bumbling bogan brothers who run their own fertilizer business in rural Australia. Damon Herriman plays the younger of the two (Reg) who only lives to impress his brother played by Angus Sampson. They have a strange relationship to say the least (some odd kissing scenes going on there too), but you definitely get the feeling that something is completely messed up with these guys from the get go. They play off each others' dialogue, action and mistakes so well, that it's easy to believe they're siblings just trying to make ends meet, but are so mental that they both suffer from the same disorder: severe stupidity.

Sure the movie is fairly predictable throughout, and there is some absolutely terrible acting from the main trio who end up in trouble, but events unfold and there are some very funny and gross moments in this film. I credit Cameron and Colin Cairnes with some excellent comedic writing, and some pretty funny dialogue. Direction wise it's a short and sweet little film without too much going on. It's a very A to B plot line, and they didn't bother with any useless plot twists. The jokes are well timed, but few and far in between which resulted in a few dead scenes that were absolutely bothersome to get through. By the end of the film, they were definitely focusing on the dark and gory side of things.

If you enjoy a twisted comedy then I would recommend this one.

January 5, 2016
A perfect horror/comedy film any horror can easily appreciate.
May 26, 2015
Nothing interesting or funny happened in 30 minutes and I gave up on it.
May 12, 2015
In short: More of a comedy than anything else, in spite of the blood&gore. Two brothers run a dubious fertilizer factory requiring some secret ingredients

I saw this film at the Brussels fantastic film festival 2013 (BIFFF). It was announced as a Horror movie, but you are mistaken if you want something sinister. Everything happens in broad daylight. On the other hand, there was sufficient blood&gore to let it fall under the Horror category. Still, I found it more of a Comedy rather than anything else.

The plot elements were cleverly employed, like the use of human bodies (from travel accidents, at first) to "improve" the fertilizer that the two brothers produce. They have a lot of success with it, and demand is rising. Due to the latter, any human body that is found along the road that does not move, is carried away without proper medical review. That is where the story starts, soon involving three hitch hikers who pose an imminent danger to their secret operations. They thus become potential ingredients for their fertilizer production process. Though the cutting up of bodies is only shown once and not very directly, you can expect an abundance of blood sprayed around, tainting most of the bystanders who have every reason to assume they are next in line. Those movie lovers fainting on the sight of blood, are better off when they avoid this one.

The real secret ingredient of this film, however, is the humor that is incorporated all over the story, and works very well in hiding there is no real story to tell. Things happen in a logical sequence, though, but different from what we expected upfront. That is precisely the most important feature of this film. It is a Comedy rather than a Horror movie, is my conclusion, with the blood&gore only as binding element.

All in all, I found this Horror very enjoyable. I usually try to steer clear of blood&gore movies, but this time it is not the central theme that binds the scenes, unlike some other movies with no recognizable story line other than providing for reasons to miserably end other people's lives. In other words, the blood&gore is more entourage here than anything else. The relationship between the two fertilizer making brothers is much more important, as is the hasty and uncoordinated way they try to cover their tracks when the darker side of their business might be exposed. Along the line we witness various ways in which the younger brother tries to show initiative, in an attempt to outsmart his brother who obviously has the lead in everything. And the people who are so unlucky to get involved in their "factory", mostly fail to survive the encounter with all limbs intact, or even to escape alive for that matter. Hilarious scenes throughout, in spite of the darker aspects of the plot.
½ April 11, 2015
Fun little Aussie horror comedy. I recommend this for fans of the genera.
January 24, 2015
Amusing though not great.
November 8, 2014
Everything I had hoped for from Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil. This is fun, original, clever and engaging. A truly great horror comedy.
½ October 3, 2014
watchable but ...not enough
September 14, 2014
It would be a disservice to say that 100 Bloody Acres surprised me; after all, a friend recommended I watch it. So I figured there was something there.

It's an absurd movie, with an absurd plot, and absurd characters. And there isn't an ounce of horror in it, so if you're looking for a scare, look elsewhere.

But it's so delightful in how it embraces its absurdness, and delivers funny moments without sacrificing on the gore aspect.

The slow start is a bit difficult to get through, but does the important task of showcasing who the characters are and where they're going. Such that by the midway point you're less rooting for the "SPLASH ALL THE BLOOD!" aspect that you'd expect from a slasher-type movie, and more interested in how the characters respond and react to their situations.

And that's cool. Most blood-fests ignore this side of the coin. So while the plot is kind of a muddled mess, 100 Bloody Acres manages to rise above and become something better.
August 16, 2014
Typical Aussie 'CRAP'
½ August 2, 2014
A thriller/comical farce that didn't quite work for me.
July 27, 2014
This is one of THE WORST MOVIE Ive ever seen, thanks 2 websites like yours. Thank U :-)
July 22, 2014
probably the best "horror" movie i've seen, though it's a bit too soft to be full-on horror. what i liked about it is that it still focused on real characters and put them in this crazy situation, instead of resorting to stereotypes like every other horror movie out there. definitely exciting and gross in an adrenaline-pumping kind of way. as far as horror movies go, it's as good as you can get, but ultimately, at the end of the day, horror's just not a genre i can fully get into.
July 22, 2014
2 Stars!
84% of? There's nothing special about this movie. I'd say it is just Gory.

2 Stars
½ July 18, 2014
a bit of a slow starting movie that adds the characters on and makes the whole film worth it in the end. I found myself enjoying this more then I should have.
½ June 30, 2014
Two rural Aussies stumble upon the perfect fertilizer ingredient, the trouble is keeping up with demand. It's a funny and gory ride with similarities to Tucker and Dale. Nice cameo by the villain from the Wolf Creek films. Hopefully there will be a sequel.
June 23, 2014
A clever horror comedy
May 11, 2014
often smart and funny and twisted throughtout even it seems to be sharing a similar plot as Tucker&Dale vs. Evil, which was better done [B]
May 8, 2014
Failed miserably at both horror and comedy!
½ May 4, 2014
I don't really have an idea of whether to give the film 2.5 or 3 stars. I did like the gore, there's some good moments of dark comedy, and the cast is perfectly solid. I did have some problems with the pacing of the film, I think it takes forever until it really gets going and even when it DOES get going, there's not really much it does to keep you intrigued. Perhaps intrigued is the wrong word, because I was interested in seeing where the film was going, It's just that it's a little slow in getting there. And this film isn't really that long to begin with, so that's certainly a problem I had with the film. The script is solid, full of plenty comedic moments and Reg's arc finally overcoming the abuse he's sustained from Lindsay since he was a kid was pretty good, if unimpressive. The film has some funny moments, for example when James and Sophie are arguing about Sophie's affair with Wes as James is tied up and has a tape over his mouth. It doesn't read that well, but it works well in execution. There are also some pretty gross moments involving cunnilingus with a 70+ year old woman. Out of all the gore, the blood, and the violence...the film's grossest moment is, by far, cunnilingus with a very old female. This definitely has its moments, but I think its slow pacing, which sometimes has a lot to do with your enjoyment of the film, keeps this film from reaching its full potential. Maybe if this was shorter, and this is short as it is, and the pacing was a little faster, then this film would've been much better. Despite the rating, I did have fun watching this film but I found it to be average at best. There's enough good stuff in here to make it worth watching and to keep your eyes on the directors that made this film, because they're already talented, it's just that their first feature film doesn't reach its full potential.