The King of Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King of Comedy Reviews

August 20, 2017
Highly recommended film. RIP, Jerry Lewis.
July 7, 2017
Simplesmente fantástico. uma das melhores obras do Martin! O De Niro se Supera em sua atuação perfeita. Roteiro fantastico sem furos e redondo, os 3 atos muito bem desenvolvidos.
-Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime
May 18, 2017
Grade - B+
One of Scorsese's more overlooked movies, 'The King of Comedy' boasts an incredibly engaging and bizarre concept that supports a captivating performance by Robert De Niro as an unconventional aspiring comic.
April 27, 2017
It's such a painful movie to watch, but I couldn't take my eyes off it. Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorsese are geniuses, I don't think anybody would argue against that. And while this isn't my favorite film they've collaborated on, I think this is where they perfectly demonstrated just how versatile they can both be.

And when I say versatile I really mean it. DeNiro is playing the farthest departure from a gangster imaginable, and Scorsese has managed to make a film with nearly no action feel incredibly frantic and exciting.

The character of Rupert Pupkin is what every writer should strive for when attempting to create a sympathetic psychopath. I know how awful these things he's doing are, and by that I mean both his comedy material and his criminal activity, but I still really (and kind of sadistically) wanted him to succeed.
½ April 15, 2017
We have a movie that is very relaxed, is very light despite being opposed with an appealingly heavy idea, it has a very good script and great rhythm besides dialogues and scenes that remember the Scorsese style well, although it is a whole construction of A comedy movie, in moments he looks like a mafia movie. We have a script that tells the story of Rupert Pumpkin, a man who dreams of being a comedy idol, he kidnaps one of today's greatest comedians, and forces him to take part in his show. It is a constructive script, has an excellent character construction, is a growing and extremely linear script, although it splits into scenes of Rupert's imagination with reality, this may confuse a bit because Scorsese does not change the picture or any aspect that shows Being an imagination, this is good because it privileges the viewer who is more inside the film. The moral of the film is to talk a bit more about the obsession of fame, we run the risk of arrest for a successful night, it also criticizes people who idolize artists by putting them on pedestals common people. We have a dark photograph, with that gray film, it even recalls a mafia movie - not Scorsese's - but we have a touch of humor and irony, we do not have that typical Scorsese rhythm, on the contrary, a good edition, but nothing surprising . Robert De Niro does a very cool acting, he is very fluent, and he does a very good acting but very funny, he is the only one, because the secondary characters are weak. Finally, we have a good comedy movie, with jokes that do not work nowadays, but it's a very clever comedy, and it just proves that Scorsese has a gigantic scope, ranging from comedy to horror.
February 25, 2017
One of my favourites. Has an effective streak of pitch black humour running through it but is still a marvellous study of a deeply disturbed character.
February 22, 2017
I'm probably in the minority, but as of right now, this is my favorite Scorsese film. It's a look into the life of a celebrity stalker, and it paints an interesting picture of how someone like this might delude himself into believing his attention is desired by the person he idolizes. I loved how the obsession and delusion became more aggressive as time passed.

The fantasy/dream sequences were a superb idea. When the first one hit I didn't know if it was real or imagined, and this works perfectly in the plot. This added element makes it so each time we see another sequence we have to question whether it was really happening. In fact, I still don't know for sure if the epilogue was intended as an actual glimpse into the future or not.

Robert De Niro is great as Rupert Pupkin. He plays him as a sympathetic character, so you feel sorry for him instead of being annoyed or disgusted by him. Sandra Bernhard is a good counterpoint to show what he could be if his obsession is taken to the extreme. But I think the best acting in The King of Comedy came from Jerry Lewis. He is everything you'd expect from a popular TV talk show host, and delivers some of the most subtle and funny jokes in the movie.

The humor was something I never expected. I don't know why but, despite the title, I thought Scorsese was taking this down a more serious path. But the film is darkly comedic throughout and I was chuckling a lot. Scorsese makes a few choices that I don't understand, but most of the time I think it's a very good movie. I was even impressed by the costuming because Rupert's suits looked exactly like someone trying to dress up as his favorite talk show host. Maybe not one of my favorite films of all time, but definitely a treat, and proof that Scorsese has more range than I thought.
February 14, 2017
Never heard of this film until today. Scorsese shows us that he is an amazing director and I had no idea DeNiro could play a psychopath that you feel sorry for.. What an amazing movie and I highly recommend you watch this movie.
½ February 12, 2017
Though watch but worth it. De Niro is absolutely brilliant.
January 21, 2017
Has not the force of Taxi Driver, Raging bull- the best jobs of combo De Niro & Scorsese- but the effort of making a tasty black comedy are not a waste. Good choice for a weekend.
½ January 19, 2017
It's a hard movie to watch, but one that gets inside our heads for all the right reasons.
½ January 15, 2017
This is one of the most underrated movies of all time. This is another Scorsese masterpiece and for some reason you don't ever hear anyone talk about it? De Niro and Jerry Lewis are both incredible and play their parts perfectly. Scorsese somehow knew that in the future we would live in a celebrity culture and captures that perfectly in this film. A great dark comedy. De Niro's performance of Rupert Pupkin is a truly terrifying one! A must see movie!
January 6, 2017
Second-hand embarrassment personified.
½ December 23, 2016
One of the most underrated movies of all-time
November 25, 2016
Scorsese, De Niro, Lewis, Bernhard, etc. Can't go wrong! On Blu-ray.
October 1, 2016
The King of Comedy (1983) C-109m. ??? 1/2 D: Martin Scorsese. Robert De Niro, Jerry Lewis, Diahnne Abbott, Sandra Bernhard. Fascinating black comedy narrative of social misfit who gets a chance to meet famed comedian Jerry Langford (Jerry Lewis)--or does he? However he DOES kidnap the stand-up and force him to let him join his television program. Nightmarish, unpleasant beyond belief, but extremely well acted. Very good script by Paul D. Zimmerman; Bobby and Jerry are perfect.
September 27, 2016
Great film with super performances, about a guy who wants to be a star. Very funny and moving. Well done.
September 10, 2016
A bleak and uncomfortable masterpiece that arguably goes to darker places than any of Scorsese's crime films. De Niro's performance is perfectly disconcerting while Lewis and Bernhard are equally great.
½ August 31, 2016
Kind of a fun black comedy, though a lot of the shocking elements have now become commonplace (pitch-black, punchline-free, heavily-improvised comedy of social awkwardness; a psychopathic anti-hero lead who neither learns nor changes and gets everything he wants and becomes famous for it) so you're left with Scorsese cruising on that without putting much of a mark on the style of the thing, so it's a bit lacking in energy. But it's still enjoyable to watch, and I laughed every time someone called him "Pumpkin".