The King of Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King of Comedy Reviews

February 25, 2017
One of my favourites. Has an effective streak of pitch black humour running through it but is still a marvellous study of a deeply disturbed character.
February 22, 2017
I'm probably in the minority, but as of right now, this is my favorite Scorsese film. It's a look into the life of a celebrity stalker, and it paints an interesting picture of how someone like this might delude himself into believing his attention is desired by the person he idolizes. I loved how the obsession and delusion became more aggressive as time passed.

The fantasy/dream sequences were a superb idea. When the first one hit I didn't know if it was real or imagined, and this works perfectly in the plot. This added element makes it so each time we see another sequence we have to question whether it was really happening. In fact, I still don't know for sure if the epilogue was intended as an actual glimpse into the future or not.

Robert De Niro is great as Rupert Pupkin. He plays him as a sympathetic character, so you feel sorry for him instead of being annoyed or disgusted by him. Sandra Bernhard is a good counterpoint to show what he could be if his obsession is taken to the extreme. But I think the best acting in The King of Comedy came from Jerry Lewis. He is everything you'd expect from a popular TV talk show host, and delivers some of the most subtle and funny jokes in the movie.

The humor was something I never expected. I don't know why but, despite the title, I thought Scorsese was taking this down a more serious path. But the film is darkly comedic throughout and I was chuckling a lot. Scorsese makes a few choices that I don't understand, but most of the time I think it's a very good movie. I was even impressed by the costuming because Rupert's suits looked exactly like someone trying to dress up as his favorite talk show host. Maybe not one of my favorite films of all time, but definitely a treat, and proof that Scorsese has more range than I thought.
February 14, 2017
Never heard of this film until today. Scorsese shows us that he is an amazing director and I had no idea DeNiro could play a psychopath that you feel sorry for.. What an amazing movie and I highly recommend you watch this movie.
½ February 12, 2017
Though watch but worth it. De Niro is absolutely brilliant.
January 21, 2017
Has not the force of Taxi Driver, Raging bull- the best jobs of combo De Niro & Scorsese- but the effort of making a tasty black comedy are not a waste. Good choice for a weekend.
½ January 19, 2017
It's a hard movie to watch, but one that gets inside our heads for all the right reasons.
½ January 15, 2017
This is one of the most underrated movies of all time. This is another Scorsese masterpiece and for some reason you don't ever hear anyone talk about it? De Niro and Jerry Lewis are both incredible and play their parts perfectly. Scorsese somehow knew that in the future we would live in a celebrity culture and captures that perfectly in this film. A great dark comedy. De Niro's performance of Rupert Pupkin is a truly terrifying one! A must see movie!
January 6, 2017
Second-hand embarrassment personified.
½ December 23, 2016
One of the most underrated movies of all-time
November 25, 2016
Scorsese, De Niro, Lewis, Bernhard, etc. Can't go wrong! On Blu-ray.
October 1, 2016
The King of Comedy (1983) C-109m. ??? 1/2 D: Martin Scorsese. Robert De Niro, Jerry Lewis, Diahnne Abbott, Sandra Bernhard. Fascinating black comedy narrative of social misfit who gets a chance to meet famed comedian Jerry Langford (Jerry Lewis)--or does he? However he DOES kidnap the stand-up and force him to let him join his television program. Nightmarish, unpleasant beyond belief, but extremely well acted. Very good script by Paul D. Zimmerman; Bobby and Jerry are perfect.
September 27, 2016
Great film with super performances, about a guy who wants to be a star. Very funny and moving. Well done.
September 10, 2016
A bleak and uncomfortable masterpiece that arguably goes to darker places than any of Scorsese's crime films. De Niro's performance is perfectly disconcerting while Lewis and Bernhard are equally great.
½ August 31, 2016
Kind of a fun black comedy, though a lot of the shocking elements have now become commonplace (pitch-black, punchline-free, heavily-improvised comedy of social awkwardness; a psychopathic anti-hero lead who neither learns nor changes and gets everything he wants and becomes famous for it) so you're left with Scorsese cruising on that without putting much of a mark on the style of the thing, so it's a bit lacking in energy. But it's still enjoyable to watch, and I laughed every time someone called him "Pumpkin".
August 29, 2016
I went into this film 'blind', basing only on merits of Scorsese and DeNiro, and came out very satisfied.
July 22, 2016
Man, I never want to see this film ever again. This is not a fun movie, in fact, it is an unpleasant and emotionally grueling experience. Rupert Pupkin is one of the most unsympathetic characters I've ever seen in a film, and Robert De Niro is absolutely terrific as the psychopath who does everything to be on a television show. This is very frustrating to watch and it should be. That's exactly what Scorsese was going for while making it and he succeeded. "The King of Comedy" is a smart, disturbing, and damn effective black comedy.
½ July 17, 2016
There's an underlying depth that you might miss the first time around. Worth seeing, as uncomfortable as it may be. This is comparably creepy with Robin Williams in One Hour Photo.
½ June 16, 2016
Smart, funny and very realistic, Scorsese's comedy debut applies his sharp humour and expertise to deliver a compelling character study that is highly elevated by Robert DeNiro's bravura performance.
June 9, 2016
Truly funny and witty satire absolutely underappreciated at the moment of its release. A little gem in the Scorcese's treasury.