A Star is Born - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Star is Born Reviews

½ July 28, 2017
Crap at its best ! Barbra's hair is more the star of this movie then the cast ??
½ May 5, 2017
Kris Kristostofferson's character was so unlikable.
½ April 30, 2016
Sappy love story about a sinking fast rock musician who asks out a fellow singer who he not only falls for but also helps by allowing her to record a few songs with him. Over time she becomes the rising star while he self destructs. This drama is way too long without saying much.
½ September 20, 2015
I haven't seen the Judy Garland version but i'm sure that one worked much better than this. Barbra Streisand is the best thing about the movie and her songs are great. Kris Kristofferson is just bland and the chemistry isn't very strong. It felt like The Rose but everything that felt like The Rose was far better done in The Rose especially the romance aspect of the movie. Great idea but ok execution
March 24, 2015
Who told Kris he can sing? Shoot that fellow.
½ January 11, 2015
A surprisingly engaging film with strong performances from Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson. It does, however, fall short of its potential with a script that requires another revision (the Grammys scene is far too over-the-top) and a more pedantic editor's hand. The songs are entertaining enough and the film is good looking; Streisand's costumes were sourced from her personal wardrobe. The production background is perhaps more interesting than the finished product (it would have been amazing to see Elvis Presley in Kristofferson's role), but the film was a huge box office hit and the soundtrack's sales were astronomical, despite scathing reviews from critics across the mediums.

The most financially successful version of this particular tale, previously made in 1937 (with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March) and 1954 (with Judy Garland and James Mason) where the protagonist was an actress. It was also remade in India as 'Aashiqui 2' (2013) and inspired Malaysia's 'Bharatham' (1991). 'Up Close & Personal' (1996), with Robert Redford and Michelle Pfeiffer, followed a similar premise centred on television news anchors.
½ August 25, 2014
A Star is Born feels quite unnecessarily long and at the same time pretty boring for most of the film
August 4, 2014
It's unfortunate that the only memorable song is Evergreen. The acting is done well, but it would have been interesting to see Elvis Presley (who was the original choice) in the Kris Kristofferson role.
July 20, 2014
This is more what I was expecting when I watched the Judy Garland version. Just as good as the 1937 version with great production numbers. There were some plot HUUHs??, but overall the music and the story meshed well.
June 24, 2014
one of the best movies of all time!!!!
May 19, 2014
I saw this twice on its release and bought the soundtrack, always had a soft spot for Streisand. I realise years later how corny the film is but still love it, my advice is 'Watch closely now!'.
½ May 2, 2014
Another film that doesn't deserve it's hype. This is basically a showpiece for Barbara Streisand to show herself off. Unfortunately, she's, by now, ruined the looks she had in her earlier films by adopting a germanic frizzy perm. The story is basic with no surprises; I fell asleep half way through and by the end I was tired again, but of hearing her voice. It was no surprise, either, when the closing credits came up and I see that Streisand was the exectutive producer; doesn't that mean that she stumped up the cash for this to be (re)made? So it was really an investment in herself; a bit vain perhaps?
½ April 28, 2014
love it! I watch it again and again! It's sexy and sweet.
The soundtrack moves me. Great flick. Huge improvement over Judy Garland's version which went on and on and on.
April 8, 2014
After one remake, they decided to redo A Star is Born for a second time in the seventies and ended up with crud. Utterly barfy.
April 7, 2014
The cast is great and the original screenplay was written by John Gregory Dunne and Joan Didion. What the hell happened once the cameras started rolling? Definitely the worst version ever made.
March 30, 2014
I appreciate the attempt to make something that's truly different that the other two, but it doesn't really work. The Garland one is often a shameless showcase, but at least its one that meshes with its star's talents in a realistic way . . . Streisand, while obviously a fantastic performer, isn't really the right choice for a film set in the pop-rock world. She's got the voice, but she always looks out of place in the film (especially when she sings a "funk" number). It doesn't help that once Kristofferson and her become lovers it gets really boring.
½ January 28, 2014
the changes in this version-making it music instead of movies really works well but i prefer the 1954 judy version best
½ October 20, 2013
Though it screams '70s this has nothing on the 1950s version. Not only does Judy out-sing and out-act Babs, but James Mason's pathos as Norman Maine is palpable in a way that Kris Kristoffersonjust can't emulate.