Treasure Island Reviews

• May 21, 2020

As someone who truly adores the 2002 adaptation 'Treasure Planet', I had a feeling I would thoroughly enjoy this retelling of the Robert Louis Stevenson novel too - and I very much did. Disney's first live-action production is outstanding! I knew what was generally occurring given the aforementioned, yet I still had a fantastic time watching. My only negative would be the ending, which is (only a little) underwhelming. Robert Newton is brilliant as Long John Silver, easily the best character on display here. He brings humour, sternness but also heart to the role. Bobby Driscoll, as Jim Hawkins, does a very impressive job, performing way above his tender age. Basil Sydney (Smollett), Walter Fitzgerald (Squire) and Denis O'Dea (Livesey) are also good, while Geoffrey Wilkinson appears memorably as Ben. The score could've been richer, while the backgrounds onboard the ships haven't aged incredibly. Those are only minor things though, as 'Treasure Island' impresses wonderfully elsewhere.

• May 08, 2019

The best movie character ever portrayed: Robert Newton as Long John Silver!

The best movie character ever portrayed: Robert Newton as Long John Silver!

• Nov 05, 2018

Instant timeless classic. Love it.

Instant timeless classic. Love it.

• Aug 24, 2018

Classic adventure and fun. Lots of intrigue and excitement. Robert Newton delivers the definitive pirate performance. It clocks in at about an hour and a half which is perfect to watch with your kids (read as just long enough before their interest drifts).

• Jun 14, 2018

Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise starts here, and the Mouse should be paying the Robert Louis Stevenson Estate major royalties. Disney's first live action film is a stone cold Classic and while it lacks the novel's details, it more than compensates in character and casting. Robert Newton was born to play Long John Silver. Also, look for future Doctor Who Patrick Troughton in a brief role.

• Dec 20, 2017

I was inspired to watch this following years of watching Tony Hancock's impromptu Robert Newton impressions. It's a colourful Disney romp but it gets a little tedious in the second half. Newton is fantastic!

• Jun 26, 2017

I enjoyed the 1990 television adaptation with Christian Bale much better, but still a decent pirate movie with a nice, clean, short running time.

• Mar 06, 2016

Family fare from Disney that I recall fondly from my youth and have now had a chance to watch with my two sons (aged 6 and 3). I've not read the Robert Louis Stevenson novel but its adventures would seem to be made for the screen. Young Jim Hawkins receives a map to the titular island from dying Captain Billy Bones and turns it over to Squire Trelawney who funds a voyage. However, he relies on ship's cook, Long John Silver, to hire the crew. Robert Newton owns the role with his pirate's brogue (and some argue that he is the originator of all that "arrr, matey!" talk you can't resist). Silver is a very ambiguous character. On the one hand, he is a notorious pirate and might be quick to slit a throat, especially amongst his own men, if they be getting out of line (see, it can't be helped). On the other hand, he seems to have a soft spot for Jim Hawkins (with whom we identify), even saving his life once or twice. Of course, things are generally pretty tame, though vigorous at times. The kids couldn't quite hold on to the plot, which advances through talk that was over their heads (and laced with new pirate words) but I explained things and the older one was glued to the screen (though worried at times for our hero). Enjoyable if you accept it for what it is.

• Feb 26, 2016

Treasure Island is a classic film. It's a simple movie that doesn't stray too far from the book. Robert Newton does a great job as Long John Silver, the pirate you love to hate, even if the rest of the cast is mostly bland. It's worth a watch.

• Jan 19, 2016