Wuthering Heights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wuthering Heights Reviews

October 20, 2016
Enjoyed this 1939 adaptation but, unfortunately, it skips most of the second half of Emily Bronte's story. Andrea Arnold's version is still the best I've seen so far.
½ October 3, 2016
Featuring an outstanding cast, this condensed adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel and its lovers is dark but superbly shot. The death scene is particularly poignant. Considered one of the greatest films of all time. AAN 1001
August 19, 2016
Dated film but decent story. Tiresome to see Cathy change her mind multiple times about penniless Heathcliff before marrying for money only to see him return wealthy. Even on her death bed, they don't seem to get along.
½ April 30, 2016
The story is just as melodramatic, unattractive, and questionable as the book it's based on. Thankfully, the great production values this film boasts lift it from its dreary source material. Gregg Toland's cinematography is genius, and watching him work in this film was a revolution in the way I think about his contributions to Citizen Kane. So many elements of the film were there already. Olivier and Robson turn in some fantastic performances that elevate the film as well, but sadly Oberon and Niven are dull and unbelievable. I'm glad the studio made the intelligent decision of only filming about half of the book, since the other half is even more uninteresting than the first. Despite the flaws in the film and my strong feeling's about Bronte's book, Wyler's film was a riveting and compelling film even with its flaws.
½ March 11, 2016
Olivier brilliant as ever. Oberon's most famous role. Sweeping gothic romance, revenge, reversal and doom. Perhaps the best competition to Gone With the Wind in cinema's finest year ever.
½ March 10, 2016
A woman chooses wealth over love and alternately lives to regret the decision along with attempting to make him miserable. Considered a film classic but grossly overrated. Olivier does fine as the brooding and often bitter Heathcliff.
March 9, 2016
Eh. Too Hollywood for my liking.
½ February 20, 2016
Well made and dramatic production of the famous novel.
½ October 21, 2015
A completely awful movie version of one of the most important books of the 1th century.
April 2, 2015
Starring Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon. A beautifully realized adaptation of Emily Bronte's novel about the doomed love affair of brooding gypsy Heathcliff (Olivier) and the passionate, headstrong Cathy (Oberon). The story is overly melodramatic to be sure, but the film is no doubt artistically successful. It also boasts great performances from its two leads, with credible support from the always fine David Niven. Directed by William Wyler.
½ February 23, 2015
May not be the best adaptation of the Emily Brontė novel, but remains a timeless love tragedy, thanks to Laurence Olivier's marvelous performance and William Wyler's excellent direction.
January 18, 2015
Melodrama como los de antes , la mejor adaptaciĆ²n de esta novela .
January 12, 2015
This film completely left out the second generation, yet it's still the best movie adaption.
½ January 11, 2015
This version of Wuthering Heights is so far from the written novel. The best
Adaptation of the book is the 2009 PBS Masterpiece Classic version. Great actors and parallels the book practically to a "T". I think they changed the way Heathcliff dies in the end because it's a bit unrealistic that one can die from going mad. Aside from this small change...a must see!...
December 29, 2014
I have tried several times over the years to read this book and watch the film, including this version and the one with Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff and the one that I think was on PBS several years ago.

I just can't do it.

The story hasn't caught my attention well enough, so I'm no longer going to torture myself with it. I think this is probably the only Victorian era story I dislike.
½ November 16, 2014
An emotionally conflicted upper class woman wishes to lead her life with a stable worker that was taken in as a child by the father but who also wishes to lead the life of the rich. The movie takes you through the childhood friendship of Cathy and Heathcliff through flashbacks and voiceover by the housekeeper. Once Cathy's father dies, the older brother mistreats and abuses Heathcliff as a servant of the house. Heathcliff remains with the family for the opportunities to sneak out with Cathy. Soon Cathy is courted by another upper class suitor. Cathy's social expectations and the lure of a rich life lead her to seriously consider the suitor and push aside her wild side and love for Heathcliff. Cathy marries into the Linton family. Heathcliff runs away and makes his riches in America. He returns bitter and ready to seek emotional revenge on Cathy, her family and her in-laws.

Wyler captures well the dramatic movements of the story. He exploits the emotional dynamics of the film with his stage settings and cinematography. It remains an excellent film of romance unfulfilled due to cultural-social expectations. The Oscar-winning film deserves to remain a must see performance by Laurence Olivier and cast.
September 7, 2014
Even though this only tells half the Bronte story, it's a complete masterpiece with a flawless cast.
½ June 2, 2014
Laurence Olivier is good...really good at this non typical non Shakespearean role. One only wishes that he committed to more of these types of projects. The emotion seeps forward and cuts out of the historical film making it more vibrant than the pictures.
March 19, 2014
Wuthering Heights is a great piece of classical hollywood cinema, acted incredibly by Laurence Oliver. William Wyler's breakthrough film is lovingly told by him and well made.
February 4, 2014
Highlighting, like so many other marginal films, everyone is an awful person. It's hard to really like anyone.