Test Pilot Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 08, 2020

Clark Gable leads this old school Hollywood fantasy as a man-boy hotshot pilot who faces death every time he goes up. Spencer Tracy plays his sidekick, his wingman, and his mechanic. And Myrna Loy plays the braless woman from Nebraska who snags Clark, but wonders if she should've. Everyone knows that he's flirting with disaster...how long before it catches him? At least that's the story this story is selling. Another story, one that happens before your eyes, is that the situations serve to create a sort of menage a trois atmosphere between the three, a tension. Interestingly subversive stuff coming from the 1930's, naturally.

• Jul 23, 2020

The actors are fun and so is the film.

The actors are fun and so is the film.

• Jul 23, 2020

The right stuff is a more relevant and interesting film by far about a similar subject and top gun as well for that matter. I recommend those ones over this. In any case, it had its moments and for an old film it had decent cinematography, acting and dramatics. The casting was well done. I just found myself mostly bored by this film tho and couldn't stand the unrealistic expectations of the wife-no wonder she couldnt take it after all.

• May 24, 2020

Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy and Clarke Gable are all wonderful in Test Pilot. The dialogue is great and their scenes together are a lot of fun. However, other action-oriented scenes were much less interesting, the entire film is limited in appeal and the pacing is messy. It's amusing and serviceable, but far from accomplished.

• Jan 25, 2020

The presence of Myrna Loy lifts this above average MGM movie to its classic status. She knew how to handle Clark Gable, and she was one of the only actresses to be able to develop chemistry with all her leading men.

• May 02, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Jun 18, 2017

Test Pilot is an excellent film. It is about Jim who is a test pilot and his wife and best friend who try their best to keep him sober. Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, and Myrna Loy give fantastic performances. The screenplay is well written. Victor Fleming did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Test Pilot is a must see.

• Apr 13, 2015

Starring Clark Gable, Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy. The plot is some nonsense about a test pilot (Gable), the country girl he falls in love with (Loy) and his wise-cracking mechanic (Tracy). Were it not for the personalities of the three stars, I'd give this a miss. But they make it worthwhile. Fine support as usual from Lionel Barrymore. Directed by Victor Fleming.

John B Super Reviewer
    Apr 29, 2014

Not a great film but not one easily dismissed either. Gable and Tracy are charming as is Myrna Loy. Silly 30s fare to see on a rainy day.

• Aug 28, 2013

I'm still not a big Clark Gable fan, but Myrna Loy and Spencer Tracy more than make up for my dislike of Gable. Tracy and Gable apparently did not get along well and it shows when Tracey steals every scene he's in with Gable, who was a much inferior actor. The film is an odd mix of romance and drama that doesn't always quite work, but Tracy and Loy make the film very much worth watching.