Cool World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cool World Reviews

July 18, 2016
One of the most stupidest movies I have ever seen. The acting is just pure garbage. I've probably only seen it twice in my whole lifetime.
½ June 10, 2016
If every film has meaning and some kind of a plot, someone please explain this...
½ May 16, 2016
This is one of the most counterproductive movies I've ever watched. I will never get the time back. An hour and forty minutes of my life watsed. Lack of character development, countless plot holes, character dialouge was stupid, and absolutely no redeeming value. Why the heck are the background doodles always popping in the frame and why are they are always chasing each other around with weapons of some sort?? And don't even get me started on Holli Would. The little tramp is a loose canon and whenever she gets around men she's hornier than a virgin at Magic Mike. Only thing I like about this movie is Lonette, because of her demure and laid back demeanor, and the music that plays at title sequence. That song had the cornball feel to it but it didn't annoy the crap out of you. In a nutshell. Cool World is basically the M. Knight Shamalan version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. To say this movie was a piece of crap is like saying what happened to the Titanic was a tiny, little, mishap.
May 2, 2016
Decent, though a disappointment after enjoying Bakshi's great run of Spider-Man cartoons from the 60's. The animation style and great soundtrack--dated in a fine way--make up for such a lousy and uninspired script. I'd much rather come across Shirley Clarke's similarly titled film from the 60's instead.
May 2, 2016
½ April 13, 2016
I saw it for last time but, half-live action and half-animation, it was so fuckin' terrible!
February 18, 2016
A frantic film between two worlds the real and the toon-world, the last with its own rules. Kim Basinger look is terrific as Holli Would, in the toon world and in this side of the reality.
February 6, 2016
Stylish in animation,but the plot sucks......big time
November 22, 2015
Love cartoons big fan comic books cool world adventure toons over the world
½ October 30, 2015
I was not pleased with cool world at all in it Gabriel Byrne plays an animator who is transported to a fantasy world and meets up with an animated beauty who later becomes kim bassinger who would like to leave the fantasy world and become a human being .I found this to be worse than who framed roger rabbit
September 27, 2015
Watching this film is like seeing into what Ralph Bakshi's version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit would have looked like: dark, brimming with atmosphere, and more counter cultural. Too bad that Bakshi's talents are wasted on such a terrible script, which never quite explains how the universe works or gives context clues to the audience to figure that out. The characters are paper thin, and what little characterization they have has been done in more interesting ways before and since. Out of the three leads, Brad Pitt is the best (if only because he is not playing the lead as seriously as the rest of the film), Gabriel Bryne is trying the hardest, and Kim Bassinger gives one of her worst performances to date. The integration of the animation and the actors is among the worst I've ever seen, and even worse it's stylistically inconsistent: sometimes the animated characters exist on a sound stage with the actors, and in another shot in the same scene they are part of a painted background. The film also has too much filler in it, with certain scenes and characters that give nothing of value to the story. The story is needlessly dark and self serious garbage, which makes the film even harder to sit through. Ultimately, a waste of time that isn't worth visiting, even if you are a huge Bakshi fan.
September 26, 2015
Despite numerous plotholes and some flawed acting. Cool World is a very stupid, but fun movie with creative animation/visuals, energetic characters, and a well-done satire towards zany cartoons. A definite guilty pleasure for me.
September 18, 2015
Great visual effects, a great story, a great cast, and brilliant animation! This is Bakshi's best film, and one of the best films of 1992! A-
½ September 7, 2015
I remember playing this film quite a lot in the video story for the soundtrack, which is still pretty good, but the story is only so-so. From writer/director Ralph Bakshi, the film tells the story of illustrator Gabriel Byrne who get's pulled into his comic book world (named Cool World) and seduced by his own buxom creation, Holly Wood. Holly is voiced by Kim Basinger and then acted by Basinger when Holly escapes from the animated world with Cool World cop Brad Pitt hot on her trail. The film's mix of animation and live action may have been more impressive it "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" hadn't already come out and hadn't done it so much better. The animated and live action characters all interact with each other seamlessly, but it's not really done in any dazzling sort of way as was done in Roger Rabbit. It is kind of fun to see Bashki create a world that looks like a throwback to his "Fritz the Cat" roots, albeit a PG-13 one, but the story is what sadly lets this film down. It probably would have been stronger if it was a 30 minute short, but it really didn't have enough ideas behind it to sustain a feature length film.
September 2, 2015
Not as bad as previous critics say - "Thin characters and a scattered plot". Come on, it's about cartoons, and not necessarily a romantic chick flick.
September 1, 2015
I liked the film but haven't added it to my DVD collection.
August 24, 2015
This movie has a few cool animation visuals, but that is really the only positive thing I can say about this movie. I think Bakshi has made some good films, but this is a major letdown.
½ August 14, 2015
no 'who framed roger rabbit' it always puts me to sleep!
½ June 7, 2015
Everything likable about this movie lies in the aesthetics. The plot is absolutely everewhere, there's no tonal consistency at all, and Kim Basinger is almost unbearable in every live action scene she is in. Nevertheless the animated world is fantastic, like some sort of grimey drugged induced looney toons. Ralph Banshki isn't for everyone, but I dig what he does right enough to ignore what he does very wrong.
½ June 2, 2015
This poor man's version of Roger Rabbit is clearly on bad acid as it tells the tale of doodles that cannot sex noids (yes, that is the plot). It features early Brad Pitt, an extremelly awful performance by Kim Basinger and a possibly too-short-for-cash Gabriel Byrne. Shit movie with an awesome soundtrack including a David Bowie and Nile Rodgers collaboration for the title song.